Most Famous Gyros

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
What do you consider as some of the worlds most famous gyros? The three that come to my mind are:

Miss Champion
Little Nellie
Black

Wallis' Little Nellie. It's hard to beat the 007 franchise for views

Road Warrior Aussie gyro. (may have, by now, actually edged out KH Wallis as "most seen")

Ken Brock's famous black beauty gyro. Ken flew it at airshows all over the world.

Gyrorhino (I know this is the wrong spelling.... the jump takeoff champ) comes to mind & the Carter Copter?

My J2

My J2

My Old J2 has been around the country and was pretty recognizeable. Man, she was a blast to fly... I miss her terribly... snif... snif....

Attachments

• my j2 4.jpg
    my j2 4.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
  • My J2.jpg
    My J2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
My Old J2 has been around the country and was pretty recognizeable. Man, she was a blast to fly... I miss her terribly... snif... snif....

Is that the same one that Kenny J. used to have? That one got totaled on take off from Goose Creek. It ended up in a lake. Kenny was lucky he got the money before the guy trashed it.

Yeah, that's the same one Kenny J had. Dumbest thing I've done in the last 20 years was to sell it... in fact, I think it is almost exactly 20 years ago now that I sold it. I take that back... letting my CFI lapse was the dumbest thing, the J2 was second... Man, now that I think about it, i'm pretty stupid...lol

A&S 18a

Bensen B8 "gyrocopter"

Remember that little add.?

"TAKE OFF AND LAND IN YOUR OWN BACK YARD"

How do you want to define "famous"?

How about when you go to google and click images and enter gyrocopter?.

Last edited:
How do you want to define "famous"?

My definition of famous is when your talking to someone and mention a specific machine they know exactly what your talking about. The more people that know then the more famous I would think it would be. Like the three I mentioned in the first post, I bet everyone that read this knows those machines, as well as many of the ones mentioned in later posts. The Bensen is a brand and not a particular machine BUT everyone knows a Bensen so it could be famous by not being a specific machine just for what it has done for our sport, (aren't most gyros built from a basic Bensen design that has been modified?)

Like the three I mentioned in the first post, I bet everyone that read this knows those machines,
Never heard of any of um?????
Wot did they do?

birdy said:
Like the three I mentioned in the first post, I bet everyone that read this knows those machines,
Never heard of any of um?????
Wot did they do?

I can get the first two with authority and venture a guess or three on the last:

Miss Champion -- Pitcarin gyro tractor sponsored by Champion Spark Plugs
Little Nellie -- Wing Commander Wallis' famous gyro from the James Bond movie "You Only Live Twice"
Black -- not sure which "black"...Maybe Steve McGowan's Parson two-place trainer? Maybe Ken Brock's "Black Beauty?" Maybe every gyro ever built by GyroJake?

*JC*

Hasn't anybody heard of Bill Parsons The inventor of the Parsons Trainer. All of the so called C.F.I. are riding on his coat tails. Every two place tandem is designed from a Parsons. Give the man credit! There should be a flyin in his name, Parsons Days, at least in Fl , Your friend, Gyrocopter1 lets hear some feedback

Hasn't anybody heard of Bill Parsons The inventor of the Parsons Trainer. All of the so called C.F.I. are riding on his coat tails. Every two place tandem is designed from a Parsons. Give the man credit! There should be a flyin in his name, Parsons Days, at least in Fl , Your friend, Gyrocopter1 lets hear some feedback