More fun flying The Predator.

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!
Did "Auto-Correct" change "Temporary" to "Temporate" for TFRs?

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
Did "Auto-Correct" change "Temporary" to "Temporate" for TFRs?
No Kevin, I did that myself.

It is one of the symptoms of my traumatic brain injury and my aphasia.

I don’t like to use acronyms without explaining what they mean; it is fixed now so no one else will be misled.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
My father; also Vance Breese was a well-known test pilot and aviation pioneer. His life revolved around aviation. He lost his medical when he was 56 because of a heart attack. He passed away at 69. That is thirteen years of not flying as pilot in command which oddly enough is just about how long I have been flying.

I am a gyroplane flight instructor and my life revolves around aviation. I love sharing my love of flying with clients. The aircraft I fly is too heavy to qualify as light sport although I can train a light sport pilot in it.

At seventy years of age I feel like I am on borrowed time and don’t want to miss any flying time that is available to me.

My Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) retired so I needed to put my aviation life in the hands of a stranger.

Overcoming great trepidation I worked on filling out the form for a week making certain every detail was correct. I had trouble remembering things like when I saw my doctor to get my ears cleaned out. It is a federal form and lying on it is a felony. I took a deep breath and pushed the “file” button.

I worked up my courage and called our newest AME, Dr. Christian, his office is right across from the Santa Maria Airport.

After reading a copy of my form Industrial Medical Group worked me in the next day.

I feared my trepidation would raise my blood pressure and was careful not to eat anything that might throw off my blood sugar.

I felt like Dr. Christian understood how important my medical was to me and worked hard to make everything work. I walked out an hour later with my medical in my hand. It is the first time he had to use a statement of demonstrated ability and feels he needs to charge more for that next time.

I am good for another two years, YYYIIIPPPEEE!!!

Attachments

DavePA11

Congrats! How many students have you trained now Vance? Must be hard to figure out which ones will be good pilots and which should not be flying.... I have only encountered one person who truly should not have been flying solo....

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
Thank you Dave. I have been fortunate with my health.

I have lost count of the number of clients; more than I ever expected would want to learn to fly a gyroplane.

I worry a lot about signing off each one.

I can’t let go of the memory of the times I needed to say; “MY AIRCRAFT!"

I love to teach people to fly.

kolibri282

Hi Vance,

great to hear that we can look forward to more exciting stories about flying the predator. I came about your father's name several times eg. when reading the history of the B-25, one truly iconic WWII aircraft and the Vultee Vengeance, a plane that is, in my opinion, underrated. Obviously he passed the aircraft gene on to you. Hope you'll have (at least) another two years of great flying and great fun!