More Fuel Tank PROBLEMS

Russ Hobbs

Aircraft
Dominator Ultra white
Total Flight Time
30 Dual time
Wow, Very impressive, please keep us all in the loop. It would also free up some nice storage area under the seat, which should be well within the CG weight and balance.

Russ

Last edited:

Steve McGowan

Gold Member
OK,
Here's my solution to the tank problem.
Hasn't flown yet but isn't far away and I'll keep posted.
Scott
Hey Scott,,

Did you get your SH body from Greg Williams from Bombadary,, or I should say Nowra.. Looks a lot like the way I put the ground plane on it for the radio when I built his there in 2006..

Steve

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Is this all due to the Ethanol ??

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
...Looks a lot like the way I put the ground plane on it for the radio when I built his there in 2006...
That may be one very unhappy antenna now. At least check it for VSWR, and check to see what effect the new tanks will have on it's radiation pattern.

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
...Your tanks will lower your CG...maybe to the point of CLT. I bet you will notice less nosedown when you chop the power...
Those tanks will be low enough that changing fuel levels could make a significant difference in CG. What is their capacity? Looks like it might be 14 gallons or so total, or more than 80 pounds...

Hoges

Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTXSE
Total Flight Time
Larry,
They are 10" diameter and 11 US gallons each, about the same as the existing fuel capacity (and from Arizona btw).
This is a test and I liked the idea of getting the fuel out of the cabin and I will be interested to see what kind of drag they produce.
Scott
________
Herbal vaporizer reviews

Last edited:

lanichol

Aircraft
RAF 2000 AAI Modified, Var Pitch IVO, hydraulic pre-rotator, mechanical FI
Total Flight Time
18 hrs gryo & training
Scott,

I really like the idea. Could you take a few close up pics of how it is mounted?

I have wanted to do this exact same setup for my modified RAF.

Russ Hobbs

Aircraft
Dominator Ultra white
Total Flight Time
30 Dual time
Ditto on the pictures, very nice. I believe both those tanks mounted side by side will create considerable drag, I hope someone a lot smarter than I am would take up the challenge and figure out the increase drag.

drjoe

drjoe
Aircraft
beechv35b,sparrowhawk
Total Flight Time
RE: Fuel tank ethanol issues
Gel coat dissolution and tank delaminating
Reviewed with FL Bertram boat service stations and Minnesota boat manufacture and repair station, as well as industrial coating business.

Short version: there is NO FIX once tank is contaminated and the gel coat is coming off… the fiberglass will delaminate. . Big boats ...cut out tank replace with aluminum. Small boats.... polyethylene liner.
Many companies in FL talk repair with coatings … sell it … perform it … non work.
Recommendations .. use only premium ethanol free fuel. Store tank with premium ethanol free fuel. But it at boat yard, call friends with classic cars … they know where you buy ethanol free auto gas. ... Dr joe

dragonflyerthom

Platinum Member
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE
Total Flight Time
183FW 132Gyro
When I was riding three wheelers years ago the tanks would rust thru. There was a product out then that you would use to coat and seal it. As far as I know those tanks are still good. The more advanced we go the behinder we get.

brs

OK,
Here's my solution to the tank problem.
Hasn't flown yet but isn't far away and I'll keep posted.
Scott
________
Scott, What is the diameter of those tanks. The image below is what I'm considering. The blue tape is the basic shape of the internal tanks. If you cut a hole (round or square depending on the alum-tank) in the back of the enclosure then you could slip a few tanks into the space of the old tanks. Leave them hang out a bit and do all the plumbing external. The stock tanks (ver I) is about 10.5" tall. Seems this would leave the structural integrity of the seats in place.

Attachments

Blue Baron

Have Guns Will Travel
Aircraft
Sparrowhawk 2 / Flown Apache, Blackhawk, Cobra, and Huey.
Total Flight Time
Anyone had success with internal/external aluminum, bladders or multiple replacement smaller tanks that hang out the back as BRS stated above? My tank was stripped and recoated before I bought it. As a result, no primary fuel pump or fuel indicator working. Just one of a few safety issues I need to work before I feel it's suitable for flight. I like the idea of external pods and converting the sub-seat area to storage. Anyone tested the impact to CG?
Rob

cbailey

After years of inactivity, I finally got back to my SH-II kit and have it completed. I'm unable to find ethanol free fuel so I'm interested in what if any solution this group ever identified? Did anyone ever find a coating that looked like it would work out inside the tanks?
-Craig

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT
After years of inactivity, I finally got back to my SH-II kit and have it completed. I'm unable to find ethanol free fuel so I'm interested in what if any solution this group ever identified? Did anyone ever find a coating that looked like it would work out inside the tanks?
-Craig

giro5

Aircraft
prev- citabria,AA1b, fun racer
Total Flight Time
400 GA, 50 trike
Just my 2 cents after an automobile fire - metal tanks, automobile fuel hose and metal fuel filters are the only way to go. Those clear or blue fuel tubing and plastic see thru fuel filters and plastic tanks will melt and greatly increase the amount of fire. Remember machines have no brain you must use your own.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
I'm not familiar with the SH fuel tank. If it is similar to the RAF's then PRA's new Ed kit would be a solution.
If you can get a 3-D scan with a PlayStation motion controller and free software we would adapt this kit to HS if they are similar designs under the seat and wrapped around the keel??

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
It also has an adjustable seat back/ inclination angle at RAF owners with bad back requests.
And debugging the fule-flow-totalizer for it now. This will be a separate kit for those who wish to know exactly how much fuel you have burned and exactly how much fuel you have left at about 1/2 the cost of anything on the market.