Montgomery-Merlin gyroplane

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
One of our PRA Chapter 73 members has collected several different gyros on his gyro-journey.

His stable includes two MAC-powered Bensens, a Vancraft 2-place (all Craigslist finds), a Yamaha-powered Sport Copter (he bought mine), & a Montgomery-Merlin gyro.

Got to finally see his collection this last week. I was curious to see this gyro from England!

He obtained this M-M for FREE! A former gyro flyer in central Oregon had purchased it way back, paying $15K for it. Shipping ran him another $3K from the mother colony.

This prior owner used to fly a copy of the original SnoBird gyro for years, until one day flying off of Silver Lake dry lake bed in central Oregon. He landed on what he thought was a dry lake bed, only it appeared to be dry, & had a thin crust that was covering the soft, muddy, alkaline dust. SPLAT! The white gooey mud didn't allow any roll-out.

He decided after many years he wouldn't ever get around to putting his M-M together. Unfortunately, their family suffered a horrendous blow when two young cockroaches murdered their parents in a home invasion robbery. The two cockroaches were caught and have been sitting in prison for over 30 years under a life sentence (since the state of Oregon doesn't comply with the will of the voters regarding a death penalty), constantly asking to be released because they are so sorry.

The prior owner knew he wouldn't get back into flying, so he gave it to our local PRA chapter member if he come pick it up...Everyone's dream, to be given a brand new gyroplane?

Not the greatest photos, but I like what I saw, especially the streamline nose gear.
Brand new.
There you go, Shirley Jennings!

Attachments

Last edited:

jm-urbani

Aircraft
home built mono seat
Total Flight Time
300ish
I am delighted to see that this tiny gyro will be brought back to life because I hate to see those machines in museums !
as for Shirley I have seen her cricket flying if France and I admire her for keeping her bird in perfect flying conditions over the years.

Lastly I am delighted to find out that home building still exists permitting people that can't afford a European low profile flying Bath tub to make a gyro and fly it.

thank you for Sharing Kevin

you Americans friends are lucky to have the PRA... thank you mr Bensen

as for the fairing I love it's long nose too, and I love the fact that the pilot leans a little bit backward, it is more comfortable and more streamline

in addition it causes less nose down pitch to counter act with the rotor creating drag for nothing .

I tried to make the same myself on my project :

long life to home building

Last edited:

Kevin_Richey

Jean-Michelle: Did you fabricate your gyro's nose pod?
Which engine will you use to be able to lift 2 people?
I like your idea regarding a reclined pilot's seat. Chuck Beaty has mentioned many times the advantages of doing that for aerodynamics.

You probably have posted photos of your mono-seat gyro in the past, but I don't recall them if you did. Would you mind sharing a few of it here, s'il-vous plait?

Are you close to where the annual gyroplane event that is held somewhere near Toulouse?

My wife has relatives in the Toulouse area & I've always wanted to see the French fellows & their home-built creations (OUI! OUI!) while on a trip there to visit her relatives.

Some of her relatives have become French citizens, while others, for whatever reason I do not know, are still Laos citizens.

I am grateful your government offered them permanent shelter back in the late 1970s- early 1980s, like the US & Canada have, after war ravaged their homeland & communism took over south Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos as that awful mess wound down.

Last edited:

Kevin_Richey

Sorry, but I realized I had placed two identical photos of the seat, mast, & motor mount. Meant to post the tail shot (rudder not mounted yet).

I was caught up in having to reduce the cell phone photos down by sending them to my email, then importing them into my laptop to re-size them down in order for the forum software to allow them into a post.

Tail photo is now attached.

An older version of this forum used to automatically do that for us...