Montana new member

gunderegg

Good morning from Montana. I’m a fixed wing pilot in Montana where we farm and ranch. The gyroplane concept looks like an interesting alternative to our fixed wing experiences. We need to fly low and slow, but battle consistent wind, limiting suitable flying days. I’m anxious to gather some input from the long time gyro community regarding the applicability of this aircraft type to the needs of production agriculture. Thanks everyone

Thanks for the reply. That sounds great. We’ve been looking for a way to integrate aviation into our crop and livestock operation as we have some distances to cover between our operation locations. Our winds just make the process uncomfortable and honestly a bit to risky for consistent travel.

What airframes have you found thus far that can handle the rigors of farm/ranch off field landings and takeoff procedures?

As I'm from Australia I can only recommend an Australian brand that I have used.
A gyroscopic rotorcraft ( a Rosco) with a 9 series Rotax 4 stroke.
There is no gyro on the planet with more accumulative farm/ranch fleet hours, these are the machines that do 95% of the gyro mustering in Oz.

wolfy

We need a USA Rosco dealer.

Howdy Eric, welcome. Love Montana.
SportCopter makes a single-place Rotax-powered machine that could work for your application.

Welcome! Gyros love the wind, especially those with high inertia rotors. Magni offers back country and agricultural based gyros that would fit perfectly with your mission. They use them to track elephants in Africa, and manage cattle herds over impossible areas in New Zealand. Not to mention they are one of the most stable gyros out there. Let me know if you want more info.
download.jpgunnamed.jpgIMG_5327-768x576.png

Last edited:
Good morning from Montana. I’m a fixed wing pilot in Montana where we farm and ranch. The gyroplane concept looks like an interesting alternative to our fixed wing experiences. We need to fly low and slow, but battle consistent wind, limiting suitable flying days. I’m anxious to gather some input from the long time gyro community regarding the applicability of this aircraft type to the needs of production agriculture. Thanks everyone
Welcome!

For a single ...the SC has historically been a rugged "rancher's" performer ! BUT ..we all know - the $$$$'s down & endless L-A-G to a machine!
For 2-place ..the Aussie TAG Titanium Explorer- Kelpie edition with big tires and unmatched nose-wheel suspension - is hard to beat - MADE -for the Aussie outback rough strips and conditions!

Russ King worked and lived in Bozeman for a long time. He was a Doctor working at the hospital doing anesthesia and other things. He bought two dominators from my dad around. I believe it was in the early 2000s. He had a single place dominator with a 68 inch prop driven by a 618 Rotax. he flew it all over Montana and temperatures 16 below. He once call my father complaining that his hydraulic pre-rotator was broken and would not work. He started the story off, saying he drug his Gyro from the hanger through a 4 foot snow drift started it and let it warm up for 45 minutes my dad said Russ what was the temperature? I said oh it was only 16 below, my dad said well there’s your problem the power steering fluid we use hydraulic fluid in the pre-rotator is frozen. It’s not made to fly and Santa Claus weather.

The two place was equipped with a hopped up 670 Rotax sled engine, putting out about 130 hp. Needless to say it only lasted about 27 hours. It was a powerhouse, but it was decided because of the lack of an engine powerful enough to fly in that altitude environment. It was parted out and sold, and the engine was repurposed for an ultralight airplane. You can contact him on here, as I said, he has flown all over the state. He used to keep his Gyro at the international airport in Bozeman, and would fly in, and amongst these heavy jet traffic. The tower they absolutely loved him and would accommodate him anyway, they could. They even allowed him to takeoff and land on taxiways, so that he would not be in the way of the Jets. I had him watch Yellowstone with me one time, at first he was not impressed and said that is not Bozeman except for one thing he recognized the ice cream shop. Now I hear he is a fan of Yellowstone and is hooked like all of us waiting for the last half of the final season. I wish you nothing but success in finding a Gyro to fly out there from one seeing from pictures and stuff. It’s an absolutely stunning, beautiful place to fly.

Oh BTW Norman Lethridge put skis on his Dominator and flys all winter long in Goose Bay Canada.

Russ King worked and lived in Bozeman for a long time. He was a Doctor working at the hospital doing anesthesia and other things. He bought two dominators from my dad around. I believe it was in the early 2000s. He had a single place dominator with a 68 inch prop driven by a 618 Rotax. he flew it all over Montana and temperatures 16 below. He once call my father complaining that his hydraulic pre-rotator was broken and would not work. He started the story off, saying he drug his Gyro from the hanger through a 4 foot snow drift started it and let it warm up for 45 minutes my dad said Russ what was the temperature? I said oh it was only 16 below, my dad said well there’s your problem the power steering fluid we use hydraulic fluid in the pre-rotator is frozen. It’s not made to fly and Santa Claus weather.

The two place was equipped with a hopped up 670 Rotax sled engine, putting out about 130 hp. Needless to say it only lasted about 27 hours. It was a powerhouse, but it was decided because of the lack of an engine powerful enough to fly in that altitude environment. It was parted out and sold, and the engine was repurposed for an ultralight airplane. You can contact him on here, as I said, he has flown all over the state. He used to keep his Gyro at the international airport in Bozeman, and would fly in, and amongst these heavy jet traffic. The tower they absolutely loved him and would accommodate him anyway, they could. They even allowed him to takeoff and land on taxiways, so that he would not be in the way of the Jets. I had him watch Yellowstone with me one time, at first he was not impressed and said that is not Bozeman except for one thing he recognized the ice cream shop. Now I hear he is a fan of Yellowstone and is hooked like all of us waiting for the last half of the final season. I wish you nothing but success in finding a Gyro to fly out there from one seeing from pictures and stuff. It’s an absolutely stunning, beautiful place to fly.

Oh BTW Norman Lethridge put skis on his Dominator and flys all winter long in Goose Bay Canada.
What you’ll find interesting to know is that a LOT of Yellowstone is actually filmed in Alberta in my neck of the woods around Calgary 😎

I saw that in the credits. We noticed quite a bit is filmed in Wyoming as well. I would love to visit out there. Calgary has always interested me since our team here. Tampa Bay Lightning played them in the Stanley Cup playoffs and 2001 I think and they were showing views around the area and it looks absolutely beautiful other than the cold. It looks like heaven to me.

Just had a look at that kelpie model, they don't show much info on the tyre size. Do you know Chris? looks like maybe 600-6.

wolfy
Correct!

Welcome! Gyros love the wind, especially those with high inertia rotors. Magni offers back country and agricultural based gyros that would fit perfectly with your mission. They use them to track elephants in Africa, and manage cattle herds over impossible areas in New Zealand. Not to mention they are one of the most stable gyros out there. Let me know if you want more info.
View attachment 1160829View attachment 1160831View attachment 1160830

View attachment 1160829View attachment 1160831View attachment 1160830

For a single ...the SC has historically been a rugged "rancher's" performer ! BUT ..we all know - the $$$$'s down & endless L-A-G to a machine!
For 2-place ..the Aussie TAG Titanium Explorer- Kelpie edition with big tires and unmatched nose-wheel suspension - is hard to beat - MADE -for the Aussie outback rough strips and conditions!
I would agree, the products produced at SC are purpose built for the farmer and rancher. I had a deposit with this company for the past year, but after this delay and little noticeable advancement towards production, I requested a refund and have recently received reimbursement. I was reassured that there are some positive financial changes coming. I’m hopeful that this is the case, as I know I was not the only depositor in this situation.

It appears that the new “extreme” suspension from Magni might be a step in the right direction? Has anyone seen this package or had an opportunity to experience its efficacy?

Thanks for the reply. That sounds great. We’ve been looking for a way to integrate aviation into our crop and livestock operation as we have some distances to cover between our operation locations. Our winds just make the process uncomfortable and honestly a bit to risky for consistent travel.

What airframes have you found thus far that can handle the rigors of farm/ranch off field landings and takeoff procedures?

Undercarriage and suspension would define that. Technically this could be modified on many gyroplanes. If you really need great suspension companies like Monster Shock and T1 in the US who do suspensions for many bush plane conversions like KitFox etc. can be worked with to do similar for a gyroplane. They aren’t cheap and they would provide best results working directly with engineering of a manufacturer. If interested contact me as I would be interested in doing that suspension on AR-1.

Abid,

I’d be interested in exploring this with you. What is the best way to make contact? I’m assuming you’re busy with the aviation airshow activities in Florida for the next few days, but would gladly schedule a time to visit when you available. Let me know how and when this would best work and I’ll give you a call. Thank you.

Abid,

I’d be interested in exploring this with you. What is the best way to make contact? I’m assuming you’re busy with the aviation airshow activities in Florida for the next few days, but would gladly schedule a time to visit when you available. Let me know how and when this would best work and I’ll give you a call. Thank you.

I am going to be working on the same issue for Recon, the Avid Flyer derivative plane I am bringing to Sun N Fun. I am sure the STOL crowd would want that option on that model. So yes it would be the right time to engineer that option on AR-1 as well.
Contact me after Sun N Fun. Basically the week after next.
813-786-8290 or email [email protected]