Montana flying AR-1 915

Abid

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
4000+ 560 gyroplanes. Sport CFI Gyro and Trikes. Pilot Airplane
Pretty scenery with Gary Arnst from Montana (a newcomer from trikes to gyroplanes) flying from his home strip. Altitude 5000 feet MSL on the ground and probably 7000 feet density altitude. Best watched in full screen mode

An interesting story about this gyroplane. This was originally ordered and built by the customer from Iowa with builder's assist at our facility. Unfortunately the customer could not finish training with 2 instructors (one was me) and decided wisely to sell the gyroplane which I helped resell it to Gary. After gyroplane was delivered to Nevada to a gyroplane and trike instructor that I trust, the instructor started seeing Lane B light come on and after a Rotax mechanic travelled with a dongle and a laptop to the place and determined after eliminating it was not the computer or fusebox (replaced them temporarily with loaners) it was determined that it was ignition on Lane B. It was not firing. It could be ignition coils or the wiring connection. It turned out to be the wiring. Rotax chafe tape on the harness was no protection against the original builder/customer zip tying the harness too close and loosely to an engine ring mount bolt head and over time it had rubbed through and two wires were hanging on a few strands. Basically the mechanic could not see which wires while the harness was still installed so we had to buy and send a new wiring harness from Rotax to be replaced and re-routed when installed. The whole ordeal was warranty that we covered for over $5k but it has performed flawlessly since then. We have started covering Rotax side of the harness with a loom covering since then in case a zip tie is not done properly and the harness slips down on to something sharp like it did in this instance. Something as small and detailed as customer wanting to help and just not zip tying snugly and properly can create problems like this.

That is lovely scenery. What video setup was he using?

These are great to watch. Thanks for posting and for the story behind it!

I believe it was just a GoPro Hero 9 on the mast
Looks like a handheld from the back seat, as the framing changes. GoPro now makes a really nice handle with built in remote and extra battery, maybe something like that was used.

Pretty scenery with Gary Arnst from Montana (a newcomer from trikes to gyroplanes) flying from his home strip. Altitude 5000 feet MSL on the ground and probably 7000 feet density altitude. Best watched in full screen mode

An interesting story about this gyroplane. This was originally ordered and built by the customer from Iowa with builder's assist at our facility. Unfortunately the customer could not finish training with 2 instructors (one was me) and decided wisely to sell the gyroplane which I helped resell it to Gary. After gyroplane was delivered to Nevada to a gyroplane and trike instructor that I trust, the instructor started seeing Lane B light come on and after a Rotax mechanic travelled with a dongle and a laptop to the place and determined after eliminating it was not the computer or fusebox (replaced them temporarily with loaners) it was determined that it was ignition on Lane B. It was not firing. It could be ignition coils or the wiring connection. It turned out to be the wiring. Rotax chafe tape on the harness was no protection against the original builder/customer zip tying the harness too close and loosely to an engine ring mount bolt head and over time it had rubbed through and two wires were hanging on a few strands. Basically the mechanic could not see which wires while the harness was still installed so we had to buy and send a new wiring harness from Rotax to be replaced and re-routed when installed. The whole ordeal was warranty that we covered for over $5k but it has performed flawlessly since then. We have started covering Rotax side of the harness with a loom covering since then in case a zip tie is not done properly and the harness slips down on to something sharp like it did in this instance. Something as small and detailed as customer wanting to help and just not zip tying snugly and properly can create problems like this.
Where in Montana is he? I'm in Billings.

Mark