Mohawk Arrow - a new USA-Built Enclosed/Convertible Gyroplane

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
Fresh out of the mold! Here is the first fuselage and a couple of renderings of what it is going to look like with the plexiglass canopy, which is removable and replaced with a windshield for sun-n-fun fair weather flying. This is to be the world's first aircraft, of any type, designed around the exclusive use of the 140-150HP, 165lbs installed weight, YG4 and YG4i (Yamaha conversion) engines, 4-6.5 GPH.

This has been the goal since day one back in 2012, and though sidetracked for several years Mohawk Aero is by now in full swing - tooling and gearing up to become a serious player in the experimental aircraft industry, and contender for the best performing line of gyroplanes in the world, bar none.

We are on track with that, and work on 200+HP boosted variations of the YG4 aircraft engine platform are in well-along in development as I write this.

Here is a peek at the new "Mohawk Arrow".

We have our own extruded rotors, designed with the alloyed aluminum first and foremost in mind rather than the other way around. And our own props, rotorheads, hub bars...and of course YG4 power plants, clutches (my most obvious recent achievement), redrives...what am I missing?

All the main ingredients are pretty much in place by now. So the last thing to do is realize the dream: a USA-built 150-250 HP two-place gyroplane that is light, responsive, dependable, fast, sexy, and AFFORDABLE!

We are looking to compete with the eurotub market on our own terms, with prices expected come in at 1/4 to 1/2 what your typical 'tub or enclosed Rotax-driven gyroplane costs today. Fit and finish will most certainly be sacrificed to some degree in order to keep prices down, but at $30-60,000 USD in savings I doubt that will be much of a problem. And once we get production up to speed I expect that those minor details will work themselves out in short order.

While power train components are now being flown and tested by two of my partners, I am going to test the new rotors myself - as soon a I catch up with my current backlog of eager customer orders for YG4 kits and parts - on the Wicked. (In case some of you aren't familiar with this beast, the Wicked is a 595 lb. 143HP YG4 AIr Command tandem low rider gyrocopter, the test bed for the Mohawk Arrow R&D.)

[I am very proud to (intentionally) take a page out of the US Army's tradition of using Native American tribal names to christen rotorcraft (Chinook, Kiowa, Apache...). Mohawk Aero was named as a tribute to my father's (and therefore mine) Mohawk heritage, and since his passing in 2013 I have become only be more proud of him. He served in the US Army, as part of the first invading forces of Guam in WWII in the AAF, working ground support for the massive B-29's that used Guam for staging, fueling and maintenance, and he was among the last to ship out back home, 1/2 year after the war ended. First in, last out. I salute you, dad.]

Attachments

Last edited:

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
"Mohawk Aero Arrow"? Maybe one too many phonetically similar words there?
Looks cool though ! Fiberglass?
Please post performance numbers when able.
Brian

twistair

Living in the Skies
Aircraft
none own :( currently flying Calidus mostly
Total Flight Time
Don't know exactly, ca. 3000 hours
Correct me if I'm wrong but "USA-built" sounds pretty inexact from the photo ;)

Vlad

Aircraft
MTO3
No Title

Twist! The our joint project with Greg! His engines with the cabin......and we have rotor blades-alloy 6005T6
Cabin from fiberglass sandwich under vacuum 8.5 kg Glass -9 kg

Attachments

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
Smack;n1119609 said:
"Mohawk Aero Arrow"? Maybe one too many phonetically similar words there?
Looks cool though ! Fiberglass?
Please post performance numbers when able.
Brian
I figure common lingo will boil down to the MAC Arrow :) which is an interesting nod, if you will, to the original Mac Bensens, eh?

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
>350
Vlad;n1119781 said:
Twist! The our joint project with Greg! His engines with the cabin......and we have rotor blades-alloy 6005T6
Cabin from fiberglass sandwich under vacuum 8.5 kg Glass -9 kg
Yeay! :)

spinkaan

Aircraft
3 RAF's
Total Flight Time
300 hrs
Now that could be something fantastic, please please keep us updated
spinkaan

coyotekyk

Hello from Europe. I´m very interested in this proyect. I own a single place gyro and want an enclosed two place machine. Everything I can buy here is too expensive, and I´m also not a big fan of Rotax. These are good engines but with a very old technology and way too expensive!!
Waiting for more info!

Last edited:

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
Is this really a US made gyroplane or is this a Russian gyroplane being sent as a kit to US and will be assembled here. In the latter case its the same as AutoGyro etc.? I don't care either way but one shouldn't try and mislead.