modern single place gyros?

13brv3

Gold Member
Greetings,

I'm still thinking about my next gyro project, and it seems like all the more recent gyros (Magni, AutoGyro, AR, etc) have very similar tandem designs. I don't have any interest in a 2 place gyro, but I do like the more recent designs. Magni did have an M14 that was essentially single place, though there was a provision for an uncomfortable rear seat. I haven't seen much about those, and I'm not even sure they were available in the US.

Are there similar designs in single place that I'm just not finding?

Thanks,
Rusty

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
Have you seen Aviomania's single? I know very little about it but like what I've seen. Sport Copter also makes a wonderful single place ship. I'm not yet a pilot so cannot comment on any flight characteristics.

13brv3

Gold Member
Thanks, I definitely missed the Aviomania. That Genesis Sport would be nearly perfect. I fear it's one of those "If you have to ask the price" situations. I wonder how many are in the US? I couldn't even tell if it's available as a kit to qualify for experimental, or if it's only available fully built. At some point I might have to ask.

I know all about the SC Vortex, and would be perfectly happy with an M912, except for the price. I saw a used one for sale recently for $66k, which I'd never be able to justify for what it is. There's a 582 on Barnstormers now, but I'm done with 2 strokes, and I don't know if you can easily convert from 582 to 912 on that model.

Rattler 1

Aircraft
C150-C172-Taylorcraft-Tbird-Rans S9-challenger-Benson-Air Command-Sportcopter
Total Flight Time
I have a Sport Copter Vortex with a Rotax 618. I too would rather have a 4 stroke but $$$$. And if a 912 needs repair it also cost lots of $$$. I have rebuilt several 2 stroke Rotax engines in the past on my airplanes. Parts are much cheaper and they are fairly simple to rebuild. I couldn't afford to rebuild a 912.

Gyro_Kai

Aircraft
MT-03, Calidus (rent)
Total Flight Time
about 150
Have you seen Aviomania's single? I know very little about it but like what I've seen. Sport Copter also makes a wonderful single place ship. I'm not yet a pilot so cannot comment on any flight characteristics.
There is a build thread right now for an Aviomania 1-seater Genesis.
I love mine.

Kai.

13brv3

Gold Member
I've got to say I'm really liking what I see on the G1. At some point I will likely need ask about pricing. I already have a 912UL running on a test stand, and may even come up with a set of Dragon Wings by then. Perhaps that will make the pricing a little less painful. No hurry at this point, since I'm still finishing the current Sonex Onex project (with a 912UL also).
Thanks,
Rusty

Sv.grainne

Rusty:

I purchased my G1sB kit with the Rotax 912UL late last year. Putting it together now. With some options you are looking at at about $35k. If you already have the Rotax you can get the kit for way less. Let me know if you have any questions. Quality is superb.

Gyro Technic

Manufacturer
Aircraft
Gyro Technic GTVX1
Rusty,
You might be interested in the build that I am documenting on my FB page right now.
Also, you mentioned you were looking for some Dragon Wings...
May I suggest:
These are the blades Bobby will be putting his Aviomania G1 build that you have been pointed to.
No hard sales push.... Just do a search and see what others are saying about Razor Blades....
I'll be delivering another 2 sets on my way down to barnstormers next week!
Thanks!
Denis

13brv3

Gold Member
I've caught up on the G1 build thread, and I'll be watching it closely.

No need to sell me on any of your products Denis. The quality I've seen is amazing, clearly a labor of love. I still can't believe you machine ribs from solid aluminum :) I'm not actively looking for Dragon Wings, but as it turns out, I may have an opportunity to pick up a set at a good price. If that doesn't work out, I'll eventually have a set of Razor Blades. BTW, what diameter blades would be used on the G1 with a 912UL and 180 lb pilot?
Cheers,
Rusty