"Mishka" from Russia

I want to confess and repent.
I was very wrong about the landing gear of the tailwheel pulling gyroplane. believed (and declared) that the extension of the main landing gear of the gyroplane should be greater than that of the aircraft.
It was based on the study of the main landing gear of the late Cierva, Pitbull and LittleWing gyroplanes (up to 30 degrees).
This turned out to be a delusion. Autogyros should not differ in landing gear from an aircraft in any way.
Because while gyroplanes do not jump and they need a take-off run, and sometimes a run when the take-off is stopped, the more the main landing gear is moved forward, the more its movement along the strip is unstable.
The propeller thrust does not stabilize the apparatus, because its vector always passes (when viewed from above) through the c.m.
In addition, a gyroplane is usually shorter than an airplane and the rotor creates a tipping moment on takeoff and puts even more stress on the rear wheel.
Offset over 16 degrees of the main landing gear (typical for aircraft with a tail support) - complicates takeoff and requires more skill from the pilot (more pedaling).
Less overhang - places strong restrictions on the application of the brakes when stopping takeoff.
Based on this, I ask you to consider my autogyro project "raw" and, if someone does it, be prepared for difficulties in mastering takeoffs.
Best regards, Eugene.
PS. I agree with this picture:
gyrotype02.JPG

Like I said before; There is nothing new under the sun in aviation. It has all been done before in one manor or another, with different combinations and results. It is always better, and less costly, to study how pioneers before us did it, and read about their results and solutions. There is a lot to learn from our past when trying to build a future.

Best of luck with your project.

Game and set to Denis.

Match anyone?

In my opinion, the low steering authority of the tailwheel of aircraft is not well suited to gyrocopters.
The slowness on landing does not allow the rudder to oppose the yaw instability given by the main wheels on the ground.
It seems to me that the steering authority of the tailwheel must be strengthened thanks to a small offset, and a greater torsional stiffness

Sans titre.png

I want to explain where the "legs grow" from.
Having defined some postulates based on the layout of the C-30 and LitellWing, we designed and built the Mishka gyroplane.
This was followed by my interactive projects.
But we did not fly on the "Mishka". This did not allow us to evaluate the adopted layout solutions.
The testimonials of the tester Vadim Aleksandrov were the most positive.
But, this is an experienced pilot who flew on light vehicles with a tail support.
It was not difficult for him to make a coordinated take-off run even on a vehicle with a large extension of the main landing gear.
Although, he noted the need to pedal constantly.
Further, I have accumulated additional information:
1. John Van Voorhees reported that out of about 20 sets of his Pitbulls, 10 were assembled, but all had problems taking off.
Even fairly experienced gyroplane pilots. John himself flew without problems, but he himself is a rather slender person of low weight.
2. The Pitbull clone built in Samara also had problems with takeoff.
3. The new owner of the Mishka gyroplane never mastered a normal straight takeoff. He bought and began to fly Xenon.
After consulting with experts, I came to the conclusion voiced above:
It is difficult with a large extension of the main landing gear (about 30 degrees), but it is possible to fly, but to simplify takeoff, it is better to have an extension of the main landing gear in the region of 16 degrees.
Not a bad scheme - a four-point chassis, like on the Dominator, de Havilland / Cierva C.24 or Kamov A-7.
In this case, the takeoff run, because the angle of attack of the rotor is not visible (unlike an airplane wing), it will be correct if the front and rear supports do not touch the ground.
Something like this.
I do not promise, but if possible, I will redo my projects.

I have a mate who has flown a couple of Little wings (the only two in Oz),
he has told me that take offs are no problem but only once he realized to steer with the cyclic.
But he said you need to steer opposite, as the the rotor's thrust is behind the mains a cyclic stick to the right will move the rear of the gyro to the right and the nose to the left.
So left to go right and right to go left.

wolfy

Unlike the PittBull, Cierva ensured the directional authority of the tailwheel in three ways:

img197.jpg