minimum airspeed in your gyro

That's just it. Gyros aren't dangerous, as long as you know what's going on.

Your statements lead to the contrary, leaving them peculiar and the readers scratching their heads.

For instance....."I only went that slow under dead calm conditions! fly fast in strong thermals then you might see your rotor tach dance!"

One has nothing to do with the other, and the slow rotor rpm discussed earlier has nothing to do with thermals. Unloading of the rotor was acomplished with the propeller thrust and nose over.

All accidents are not in turbulent weather.

Phil

Jeff,

Since your the expert on gyroplane theory, Why don't you write a book on it?

I think Phil might just know a little more about gyros than you.

One of my favorite signatures on here is "Ignorance is curable, Arrogance is Terminal"

The more I read his threads the more I am convinced he is a TROLL. No one can be that thick-headed and ignorant especially after numerous attempts to reason with him. He defines why the sport suffers with a questionable reputation.

Jeff had most of us eating out of his hand just months ago....until his true colors came out. I have never seen such a change in attitude from a person....as well as towards this person. Credibility is easy to obtain....easy to lose....and very hard to get back.

Stan

Very easy to lose creditability when you become an expert in gyroplane aerodynamics and scotch tape an air bubble level to the keel to determine if the gyro is stable:puke:

I've met him and found him quite pleasant. His posts may be out of spite, for reasons unknown to me. He may have a good understanding of what's going on and post the contrary for a reaction. One can hope.

Phil.

Jeff had most of us eating out of his hand just months ago....until his true colors came out. I have never seen such a change in attitude from a person....as well as towards this person. Credibility is easy to obtain....easy to lose....and very hard to get back.

Stan

Stan (& Phil), He seemed to be a pretty good kid until he went back to using mind altering substances!
I've seen it happen more times than once! :sad:

Who cares.

Who cares.

Is any of this arguing getting anyone anywhere?

Nope, no arguing.

Just wondered why the thread got bumped up though.

Jim- For not caring, why did you dredge this thread out and bump it today? It was refreshing to see the sleeping dog lay, now you kicked it to life. It will go back to sleep if you don't kick it again. Stan

I dunno where all of this is going, But I can fly my bee nose-high in slow flight under 20mph, and I do it regularly. Almost the speed of a brisk walk.

Ok, I have never even flown a gyro yet, and i'm just trying to make heads or tails of this. I am a helicopter mech, so I understand most of what you are talking about. But, a gyro is not a helicopter as all you guys know. So, from a rookie point of view, if a guy goes way nose high, isn't he going to stall the retreating blade? I'm just trying to understand because I don't know any different. Thanks

terry..

terry..

you should probably ask this on a new thread, this one has outlived its usefulness.
Ben S

Terry,
You will get retreating blade stall from going too fast, just like in a helicopter.
When you go nose high in a gyro you will climb and or slow down, depending on your engine power setting and how quickly you pull the nose up.
If you keep bringing the nose up until you reach 0 airspeed, you will go into a vertical desent. In a fixed wing, they call this a stall. In a gyro, it's not really a stall, because you have complete control of the gyro throughout the manuver.
If you do this with a high power setting, your prop will actually "lift" some of the weight off your rotor. Your weight hanging from the rotor is what keeps it spinning at flight RPM. By removing some of that weight, they will slow down. If your blade loading is low, then they could slow down enough to flap. You would want to talk with the manufacture of the rotor you end up with about minimum rotor rpm, and make sure you stay above it.
The short answer to your question is no, you can't get retreating blade stall from flying to slow.
Brad

Last edited:
not all fixed winged aircraft stall in a conventional manner! my skypup only mushed and sank mainly because of the limited elevator travel and rudder only control. spin proof too, its hard to spin if you can't stall one side of the wing!

Terry,
You will get retreating blade stall from going too fast, just like in a helicopter.
When you go nose high in a gyro you will climb and or slow down, depending on your engine power setting and how quickly you pull the nose up.
If you keep bringing the nose up until you reach 0 airspeed, you will go into a vertical desent. In a fixed wing, they call this a stall. In a gyro, it's not really a stall, because you have complete control of the gyro throughout the manuver.
If you do this with a high power setting, your prop will actually "lift" some of the weight off your rotor. Your weight hanging from the rotor is what keeps it spinning at flight RPM. By removing some of that weight, they will slow down. If your blade loading is low, then they could slow down enough to flap. You would want to talk with the manufacture of the rotor you end up with about minimum rotor rpm, and make sure you stay above it.
The short answer to your question is no, you can't get retreating blade stall from flying to slow.
Brad

Last edited: