Mini EFIS for gyros

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. GT-VX1&2, Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
As we get more capable gyros that are being used for x-country flight, and that includes some of the newer single seat gyros, it would be interesting to hear views on some of the ultralight glass cockpit systems out there.

Single seaters tend to be fun machines for the local area however with the possibility of a quick change enclosed canopy and greater range it is not inconceivable that they could be used for longer X-country flights. Early gyronaughts accomplished some remarkably long journeys albeit in many short sectors, but then life was simpler those days and there is very much more controlled airspace now with much more need for awareness about where one is.

Some of the more expensive European two seaters such as the Arrowcopter obviously have top of the range glass, but in terms of the lower end of the market, what is multi-tasking, light and above all affordable?

I see MLG are aiming at the low end.
http://www.mglavionics.com/index.html
http://www.mglavionics.com/html/xtreme_efis.html

Good point, Leigh. I always vascillate between the redundancy and simplicity of good ol' steam gauges and the nifty electronic glass cockpit solutions. The data needing to be available to the pilot can be classified into several groups:

(1) primary flight data: ASI, altimeter, VSI

(2) navigational data: compass, GPS data, maps, ...

(3) engine data: rpm, CHT, EGT, oil temp, oil pressure, ...

(4) other data: fuel level, rrpm, fuel flow

Those items marked in bold (add EGT for a 2-stroke engine) I consider essential, knowing, of course, that you can well fly without any instruments and land in one piece. But I wouldn't recommend doing it, particularly on a longer cross coutry flight.

An EFIS can help save weight and panel space at the cost of increased complexity. There is a jump in complexity if you want your EFIS to give you moving map and GPS capabilities. For this to be useful you need a bright, sunlight readable display of decent size. And you need to update your navigational database regularly.

I have the luxury of having a good sized EFIS with all bells and whistles in my panel as well as all important gauges as analog backups. In most gyros this is not practical. At the very least I would want an analog fuel level indication. An analog compass is often not very useful because of the high level of vibration. The EFIS has an electronic compass and a GPS unit has a GPS derived compass readout. That would be sufficient redundancy for me.

I would skimp on the moving map because for it to be useful it would need to be a big display. I would rather carry a separate GPS with me or use apps such as Foreflight or SkyDemon on an iPad Mini.

An interesting solution are boxes such as iLevil. They give you primary flight data along with GPS and moving map, using your tablet as a display.

There are a lot of options available over and above a standard analog panel. It pays to go hybrid.

-- Chris.

My new gyro will have steam gauges for the basics, and a Garmin area 660 for navigation, radio frequencies, etc.

As I have gotten older, I find I really love steam gauges. A quick glance at the needle gives an approximation of where things are. Looking at little numbers for things like airspeed and altitude means putting on reading glasses.

As far as true EFIS, I'd love a G500 or Dynon in the gyro, but I really can't justify an artificial horizon when I can't fly the gyro IFR. As soon as I can, it will get one.

This is my solution....hybrid mgl and 2 steam guages

This is my solution....hybrid mgl and 2 steam guages

hybrid mgl mini,Ifly GPS and 2 steam gauges

Attachments

• 62.jpg
    62.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 30
Getting closer

Getting closer

That will be for the Peach State forum and SkyWolverines......

build is on going......tail will be the last thing that goes on.

Have to finish up the engine testing.

Chris, what a great reply. I also was most interested in the hybrid solution and that great little piece of equipment whose website you so kindly provided.

The good news, a house sale in imminent. The bad, due to political instability, huge numbers of squatters who have arrived, and the firebombing of a nearby friend/neighbour who got a Molotov cocktail thrown into his car one evening and nearly died, the value of property almost halved.

I hope soon to be in the market for a new gyro, I got my medical back and may soon have some funds. It sadly will no longer be the Arrowcopter I dreamed of, will be a single, and one I have also been looking at for a long time, hence the interest.

It is being presently being considered for Section T and hopefully in the UK soon. I have always loved the nimble liveliness of the Bensen Tony has so kindly let me share and fly, but with the new one I also hope to be able to look at longer flights hence this thread.

I always remember Katarina tearing a novel in two to make sure that the minimum was taken, this will probably be with just a toothbrush, but where would we all be without our dreams to propel us forward.

Wow! Finally, a dream come true!

Wow! Finally, a dream come true!

Chris! (churz7000)

I always take special care to read your posts but I have to say this time I really hit the jackpot!

THANKYOU so much for recommending that system. It checked it out and it's EXACTLY what I've been looking for the past year, without success for my new
Sport Copter gyro.

Steven

...It is being presently being considered for Section T and hopefully in the UK soon. I have always loved the nimble liveliness of the Bensen Tony has so kindly let me share and fly, but with the new one I also hope to be able to look at longer flights hence this thread.

Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun flying your new gyro. Care to remark a bit more on which one it is going to be? Is it being manufactured in a country with a warm climate that starts with the letter "C" and ends on the letter "yprus"? :)

I always remember Katarina tearing a novel in two to make sure that the minimum was taken, this will probably be with just a toothbrush, but where would we all be without our dreams to propel us forward.

Yes, I am indeed extremely lucky to have a loving wife who endures and even sometimes shares my passion of flight.

Greetings and best of luck to you, -- Chris.

Chris! (churz7000)

I always take special care to read your posts but I have to say this time I really hit the jackpot!

THANKYOU so much for recommending that system. It checked it out and it's EXACTLY what I've been looking for the past year, without success for my new
Sport Copter gyro.

Steven

Thanks for the flowers, Steven. I learn a lot on this forum and am happy to sometimes be able to give some of the value I derive back.

Best wishes, -- Chris.

You got it in one Chris. :)

Dash for my new Carbon Carl gyro

Dash for my new Carbon Carl gyro

A single 8.5" MGL display with built in GPS. A radio and some warning lights. A few toggles to add and I'm done. This is for a single seat centerline thrust machine. The dash panel is removable with 4 thumb screws and two plugs. I did this so as to save the panel from damage when transporting the gyro on a trailer.
Seeya

Attachments

• 20161113_160843.jpg
    20161113_160843.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 14
Brilliant news

Brilliant news

Chris, what a great reply. I also was most interested in the hybrid solution and that great little piece of equipment whose website you so kindly provided.

The good news, a house sale in imminent. The bad, due to political instability, huge numbers of squatters who have arrived, and the firebombing of a nearby friend/neighbour who got a Molotov cocktail thrown into his car one evening and nearly died, the value of property almost halved.

I hope soon to be in the market for a new gyro, I got my medical back and may soon have some funds. It sadly will no longer be the Arrowcopter I dreamed of, will be a single, and one I have also been looking at for a long time, hence the interest.

It is being presently being considered for Section T and hopefully in the UK soon. I have always loved the nimble liveliness of the Bensen Tony has so kindly let me share and fly, but with the new one I also hope to be able to look at longer flights hence this thread.

House sale, medic back and a new gyro ! 2017 is your year , where will you base it when it passes section T ?
so very pleased for you , when do you expect the house actually sell ?

Thank you Peter. House/gyro just eggs at the moment.

House sale in progress... with a number of ‘it’s Africa’ complications. Meeting with prospectives and lawyers tomorrow.

Will GJ is lead test case for CAA/LAA Sect T approval, so a work in progress. Neither CAA nor LAA known for their alacrity.

Been talking to a friend who is a BA 777 Capt and owner of Slinfold near Horsham about a slot there. He has two hangers which are full, talking about a third. Less than an hour from me and on the way to my son in Storrington.

A single 8.5" MGL display with built in GPS. A radio and some warning lights. A few toggles to add and I'm done. This is for a single seat centerline thrust machine. The dash panel is removable with 4 thumb screws and two plugs. I did this so as to save the panel from damage when transporting the gyro on a trailer.
Nice and simple setup.

Having seen what is now available with Ipad apps linked to the ILevil by WiFi, I might go for some basic steam driven for the local fun flights/emergency back-up, such as ASI, Alt, Fuel, and some engine instruments. Then a knee mounted Ipad for the x-country with the attitude, moving map, engine readouts, weather airfield data, flight aware, etc.

Having cast a line in the water and been well rewarded by Chris and his suggestions, a further cast is in order.

On single seaters the majority of owners have always tended to go for basic coms and hand held radios for flights in the general area or between nearbye airfields

With the exciting possibilities of quick remove canopies for those chilly days, more economical engines giving us greater range, and mini EFIS systems affording us moving map nav, engine monitoring, instant on route weather, airfield charts, we are now looking at going slightly further afield, but the need for both communication and being seen, transponders, now joins the equation.

What, if any, new lightweight mini radio stacks at an affordable price might be suggested for the sector which the new single seat go places gyro might tend to fall into?

MGL radios are my favorite. I have bought them for my last three FW. They offer all the bells and whistles for under a pound of weight. I always use the second channel monitoring feature during flight. I can tune the next airport weather or com as I zoom across the sky to stay in touch with traffic.

Anyone here have experience with the Kanardia EFIS / EMS? (http://www.kanardia.eu) Seems like a neat little unit.

MGL radios are my favorite. I have bought them for my last three FW. They offer all the bells and whistles for under a pound of weight. I always use the second channel monitoring feature during flight. I can tune the next airport weather or com as I zoom across the sky to stay in touch with traffic.

Thanks HAlt that was a good tip. It looks great...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhsIBV6AxqM
...and your endorsement adds credibility since having them three times certainly indicates satisfaction. Could one tune them from an IPad?

I had seen these when looking for small transponders.

http://www.microair.com.au/pages/189/About-Us

Wasn’t sure if they sell them in the US.