Mini EFIS for gyros

I don't know if they can be tuned from an ipad. I have a 3x5 card that I print out. Each line lists the airport, radio freq's, pattern altitude, and traffic pattern. I fill one out before I fly. I carry an ipad with foreflight but i tend to enjoy the manual tuning from my 3 x 5. I don't even have my local airports programmed into the memory. I had the V10 in my first plane but I like the knobs on the V6 much better. On my kitfox build, I am using two mini efis panels. I also use MGL transponders in both planes.

I flew 300+ hours in a Xenon with MGL Xtreme in various conditions (from deserts through Polar Circle) and can second that it is very good for the money. One of its good points is excellent monitor readability in any outer illumination.
Here are some samples shot by vulgar phone in different weathers:

Attachments

• ????0131m.jpg
    ????0131m.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 28
  • ????0133.jpg
    ????0133.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 27
  • ????0127.jpg
    ????0127.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 26
  • ????0136.jpg
    ????0136.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 25
Good info Alex. That is an excellent display.

SandL;n929516 said:
Brilliant news. House sale, medic back and a new gyro ! 2017 is your year , where will you base it when it passes section T ?
so very pleased for you , when do you expect the house actually sell ?

Alas 2018 Peter and the house sale is still pending. The new owners I have allowed to move in, and received a down payment, however the deed has not been sorted due to a mistake make in the lands office two weeks ago.

In addition Will Garton-Jones is still working on the section T approval with the CAA.

Slowly does it.

I have gone with a Garmin 660 for navigation and a G5 for the glass cockpit EFIS. So far I am really liking it. That said, a G5 is in no way necessary. Fortunately the experimental version of the G5 is not super expensive. It's nice to have a "ball", rate of turn, bank angle, VSI, airspeed, and altimeter, all in one small package. The 660 is quite handy for flying in more complex airspace or longer trips.

Unbelievably payment on house today...but it seems the Genesis is no nearer section T than it was a couple of years ago.

Stan’s (two) weeks in this case have grown into years. That's a real shame I really was hoping.

For a really economical solution; iFly GPS's latest update includes a GPS based EFIS with tape etc in their 740 or tablet package. Hard to beat for what I consider to be the easiest to use GPS out there. iFly is also a great company with the best support in the business.

Does it cover just the US, or can it be used in Europe?

Resasi;n1132599 said:
Does it cover just the US, or can it be used in Europe?

They do update World Area Charts, but you may want to check with them

I use IFly on a tablet. I very much like the application.

Thanks for the feed back guys.

A small demonstration of how time flies by, aspirations can take longer than expected to materialise, and life can take unexpected detours.

Well the house sold, money still not all received, and progress was very slow. However that said, now moving a bit quicker. The new gyro is under way, radio and EFIS selected, still to be ordered...and installed The good ship Cochlea is under way again.

I certainly liked this idea.
Dash for my new Carbon Carl gyro

Dash for my new Carbon Carl gyro

A single 8.5" MGL display with built in GPS. A radio and some warning lights. A few toggles to add and I'm done. This is for a single seat centerline thrust machine. The dash panel is removable with 4 thumb screws and two plugs. I did this so as to save the panel from damage when transporting the gyro on a trailer.

The idea that expensive items can be quickly detachable for safety and security is a good one. Last year in the UK there was a spate of thefts of Rotax engines from both gyros and light aircraft which was a little though provoking. High end items that can be swiftly stolen along with engines can be a real bummer. Certainly a good idea worth looking into

Leigh,

Here's a MGL Discovery Lite Screen I knocked up a few minutes ago. You could resize it to and print it and see of the digits are legible when sitting on the seat.

Paddy

Screenshot (8).png

iEFIS Discovery panel dimensions (1).jpg

Thanks Paddy. I have already asked Denis to see if it fits the big pod, and then we can start the relocating of switches and circuit breakers.

I was going Xtreme, before deciding to go bigger, and actually on our mock up on the large pod thought the 7'' looked very legible, much more so than the Extreme I had intended to go with.

Denis of course likes the fact that this fits with the name we had chosen for this model, 'The Explorer’.

I can get PRA members discounts on MGL.

It is the MGL Explorer we have decided to fit on the new GT-VX2 ‘Explorer’ gyro, it seemed at good fit. I did look at the Extreme but liked the idea of the bigger screen.

It has been quite a journey, from dreams to reality, then obliged to sell the first Hornet to finance more education. Then finally the house sale, release of some equity, but, more problems with both sons that required financial intervention. Then at last the ability to try and get back into getting a gyro that might actually use an EFIS.

I am certainly looking forward to using an EFIS that funnily seems way more sophisticated than the old steam driven cockpit displays in the BAC 111’s or 727’s I flew, and, even the later Exec jets.

The idea of peeping over the horizon on a single is very appealing to me rather than a quick survey of the surrounding countryside.

I would also have to say though, that a flapping map on the knee, basic compass and dead reckoning, on a very wind, on a Bensen in rather cooler temps than was entirely comfortable, was rather a masochistic pleasure.

Well, still only dreams, but a bit closer to reality now.

Last edited:
Have now bought the MGL Explorer, have downloaded and installed the MGL simulator on my computer and with Helipaddy’s help have now started to think about the screens we can have on it.

Denis has designed and checked what we are fitting in the pod, and its layout...so far.

MGL V16 radio Tri T22 xponder.

Getting there inch by inch.

I too went with MGL for my gauges. Broke things up a bit so not everything was on 1 panel. Airspeed, Altitude and VSI on the left, with Compass, slip indicator in the center top, Rotor RPM to my right, and all my engine info on the EMS. I haven't seen it in sunlight yet, but will be doing that shortly. I really like the MGL products. I also have the V6 radio and Trig22 ADS-B out transponder set-up.

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 8
SimiIarlyas Paddy had shown above I will have a dedicated page for the take off, with emphasis on the rotor RPM and engine RPM, engine information heading alt and airspeed, then, once airborne and climbing, switch to a more conventional climb cruise page.