Mini-500 Support Thread

Mine are FAG bearings and the cage has plenty of clearance.
FAG 33206. These were what were in the Texas helicopter gearbox and they had been flown for many hours.

OK, thanks, I'll have to change over to FAG then. Need to send them away for EDM machining of the locating pin holes.

On another topic, the rotor cones are assembled, using MS21042-4 locknuts. The original kit provided passivated black steel nuts. The new ones I bought are cadmium plated. I've got this "feeling" to check with you guys, are they the same, or is the original hardware black looking nuts some stronger grade of locknut?

Cheers,

F.

F,

If you are lucky and have the Parts List that came with the helicopter, and yours came from the factory with the Bravo cones, it have the MS number of the nuts that were put on at factory assembly.

That's the only way to know for sure exactly what the black ones were, so you can compare, I think the CAD ones are 180ksi tensile so I'd trust 12 of them to hold a 9000# blade on.

Bryan, Barney, John, Rick, Kevin and Luciano,

How are you guys getting along with your projects? It seems we are all 7 in a lull. Not a lot of progress being posted.

Let's make fire under ourselves, and revive the helicopter side of this forum. With Stan opting for out, and John hard trying to sell his, who else is staying in the game?

Cheers,

Francois

Francois,

I have been in the midst of transmission setup and tail rotor driveshaft flanges have been at the machinist. I just picked up the flanges today. I have to send them to the the platers Monday along with a few other parts. When they come back, I will mock-up the entire drive system and run it for a week or two with an electric motor.

How are you guys getting along with your projects?

I finally got my frame and engine back from my welder/machinist buddy, just in time for the Arctic Blast. It's been at his place over a year now with our conflicting schedules making for a lengthy stay, but it's finally home.

Ready to start body work as soon as I get a few warm days that aren't booked up with paying work. I just don't understand why customers feel their bikes are more important than my helicopter.;)

Attachments

• 20141011_141859.jpg
    20141011_141859.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 4
I finally got my frame and engine back from my welder/machinist buddy, just in time for the Arctic Blast. It's been at his place over a year now with our conflicting schedules making for a lengthy stay, but it's finally home.

Ready to start body work as soon as I get a few warm days that aren't booked up with paying work. I just don't understand why customers feel their bikes are more important than my helicopter.;)

Good on ya Barney, that 4-cylinder is going to create some HP in your machine.

Cheers,

F.

Barney,

That's looking great and it's GOT to get you excited!

Mini tail boom

Mini tail boom

I also have finished the tail boom, I have fitted the Robinson trt and I should be ready to test it. I hope the blades will not fly off as the ratio is 1.25 to 1.
I machined two slots on the top of the tr. shaft bearings retainers and the bearings are pinned with a 1/8 Allen screw,the bearings are spark eroded alla Francois.
Things will slow down from now as I have cancer and I am up and down going to hospitals.
Barney! Well done one more exhaust pipe than mine!!!!
Regards to all the group
L.

...Things will slow down from now as I have cancer and I am up and down going to hospitals...

I am very sorry to hear that my friend! Maybe it will work out and all will be well. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Overrun clutch

Overrun clutch

On the latest MH1 build I'm in process of doing, here is the overrun clutch and the issues I found with it. As you can see there was moisture weeping within the "dry" side of the sprag asm and the cog gear and very little oil in the sprag asm. After cleaning everything, replacing bearings and seals etc. was time to reassemble the unit and...what???... there is no provision to add oil?? Sooo, I modded one end cap to be able to service the sprag like a real helicopter (269)! Here on out all asm coming through our shops will be modded so they may be properly serviced. All you folks using one of these overrun clutch/cog units may want to do the same.

Attachments

• 20140815_175926.jpg
    20140815_175926.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20140815_180002.jpg
    20140815_180002.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20150310_161456754.jpg
    IMG_20150310_161456754.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 7
That machine looks like it may have been sitting for a long time without being ran?

When I serviced and inspected my NOS one last summer, I submerged it in a bucket of transmission fluid while I tightened up the bolts because I wanted it full. May be that FULL is not good though?

That machine looks like it may have been sitting for a long time without being ran?

When I serviced and inspected my NOS one last summer, I submerged it in a bucket of transmission fluid while I tightened up the bolts because I wanted it full. May be that FULL is not good though?

Yes, it looks like any helicopter part after sitting around 20 or 25 years. The o-ring got old at the oil level and rotted allowing moisture to inter.

Adding the filling hole is not necessary, and in fact I didn't do it because I didn't want people able to service it themselves but to send it back to the factory, they would probably overfill it. I was correct.

You need to leave some air in it for expansion. It's been an absolutely trouble free device if used correctly.

Yes, it looks like any helicopter part after sitting around 20 or 25 years. The o-ring got old at the oil level and rotted allowing moisture to inter.

Adding the filling hole is not necessary, and in fact I didn't do it because I didn't want people able to service it themselves but to send it back to the factory, they would probably overfill it. I was correct.

You need to leave some air in it for expansion. It's been an absolutely trouble free device if used correctly.

What factory!! The one your ego distroyed, along with how many human lives. I cant believe they have allowed you back on here.

Mh1 flyer,
That was nasty and not deserved.
I do not support that kind of thought process . Dennis has been helping this group.
John