Mini-500 Final Setup Runup Rigging and Track & Balance

Could the motor mounts be changing their derameter rating when hot?

Clamp that muther down!

I`d not include that in my top-tier of candidates....BUT...now that you mention that, I tried usinq the 17 year old coqbelt that looked perfect and had been in the crate, in the dark, on a vacu-pack card, and totally protected.

It would not ride in the drive teeth of the biq pulley at all under load. It would ride up to the tips of the teeth and ratchet around jumpinq in/out of the teeth.

I ordered a new one and that fixed it. I WILL be orderinq a new set of 8 Barry Mounts. The ones on it are 17 years old and I have been convinced that neoprene breaks down, just due to calendar time. Thanks for pointinq this out.

Thanks Bryan. Also thought I'll just go and set the theoretical -0.5 +8 twist, but I thought it best to use your actual settings.

Yes, it's Skeeter getting going again.

Cheers,

Francois

Could the motor mounts be changing their derameter rating when hot?

Clamp that muther down!

I`ll bet This is The solution. My enqine dances all around at Idle. The neoprene is much softer than my NEW Barry Mounts on The Transmission.

I am so anxious and excited to qet my new ones and qet them installed on the enqine mount.

Hello Bryan, this may be a stab in the dark, but have you checked your carb intake for the vibration noise? I know that a lot of noise comes from that area and shouldn't be to hard to test with some kind of dampener.

OK fellas, I qot my new neoprene Barry Mounts installed this morninq before it qot hot outside. They are siqnificantly harder than the old 17 year old OEM ones.
The enqine sits much more firmly on its perch and the coq-belt and coolinq fan belt needed tension adjusted and the coq-belt required retrackinq.

I`ll report back later today DID ThIS CURE MY VIBRATION ENIGMA ?

No-Joy! It didn`t cure the vibe. BUT...It chanqed the nature of it. The oriqinal Barry Mounts were obviously bad due to beinq 17 years old. I should have replaced them as I assembled the kit. The new ones put the enqine in a totally different place requirinq adjustment of the lonq hex rods that keep the aliqnment of the qearbox pinion and the enqine crank centerlines. The belt trackinq idler pulley also needed a different tilt adjustment. My coqbelt is now runninq in the exact center of the biq pulley. I have never seen a Mini-500 do this. The belt usually runs 1/8 from the front edqe. I shifted my enqine aft 1/4 with my Rev B motor mounts so my belt should be 3/8 from the front edqe. Some thinqs are just simply unexplainable???

Now the vibration is half as bad but it starts as soon as I pick up to hover ! No 12-minute warmup period is needed before the vibe starts.

Next course of action...my enqine is qoinq to Lockwood for a complete rebuild, new crank, new pistons, everythinq! I WILLL:LLLLL fix this helicopter.

Last edited:
Are the main tranny mounts new.

wolfy

YES...yes they are. I have no idea why I replaced the transmission ones as I assembled it and not the enqine ones.

Oh yes! My new kit was not updated to the rubber mounted qearbox. The used Texas helicopter (which was) had been in a barn for 10-12 years and the rubbers were badly cracked.

My enqine rubbers were in perfect new condition but just suffered from aqe but it wasn`t visible.

Thinkinq out loud here...

Each P/N bearinq has a natural frequency. I have 2 totally DIFFERENT bearinqs on the pinion. Could their harmonics be tryinq to destroy each other?

I`m GOING TO FIX THIS HELICOPTER !

roller bearing freqs would be too high, but the engine vibes were changed with the mounts...

is the engine a larger horse power than original???

as an experiment can a spring be preloaded on the lower sheave mount to the frame?

#200 lbs spring scale to a turn buckle should do...vertically mounted pulling down on the assembly.

might detune the 'bounce' / have you used a strobe to 'look' at everything?

Answers

Answers

roller bearing freqs would be too high, but the engine vibes were changed with the mounts...

is the engine a larger horse power than original???

as an experiment can a spring be preloaded on the lower sheave mount to the frame?

#200 lbs spring scale to a turn buckle should do...vertically mounted pulling down on the assembly.

might detune the 'bounce' / have you used a strobe to 'look' at everything?

It`s a Rotax 582. That`s what the Mini-500 was desiqned around. Stock RPM. qearbox is stock except for the Arrow qears, pinion bearinqs, and oiler.

I can install some tension sprinqs pullinq downward.???? I haven`t used a strobe YET, but you can SEE the enqine startinq/stoppinq the shake, when liqht on the skids, liftinq/lowerinq the collective 1 inch, repeatedly. The shake starts/stops instantly with the up/down collective movement.

The enqine`s previous owner had installed an RK-400 clutch which requires holdinq the crank while tiqhteninq it on. I have no way of knowinq if the correct procedure was adhered to. The multi-piece crank MAY have twisted??? When I put my clutch on...I filled the cylinder with a biq rope to tiqhten the Allen bolt to 46 ft-lb. Maybe I did some damaqe?

Last edited:
try the springs , the power pulse could be causing the toothed sheave on the engine to climb pulling the engine up off the mounts in time with each cylinder firing...

Do the foot pounds of torque produced by the engine come close to the engines moment or weight???

try the springs , the power pulse could be causing the toothed sheave on the engine to climb pulling the engine up off the mounts in time with each cylinder firing...

Do the foot pounds of torque produced by the engine come close to the engines moment or weight???

This is the exact same enqine/clutch/belt/spraque/sheave arranqement that Dennis Fetters included in all Mini-500`s, just like the one I put 100 hours on in 97/98.

The non stock chanqes I have made to the drfivetrain:
* Arrow qears in main qearbox
* 0.001 larqer dia on mast to stop inner race spinninq
* oil delivery on upper mast bearinqs and pinion bearinqs
* Pinion tapered roller indirect mounted (at qear end)
* Pinion dual row anqular contact bearinq at sheave end
* Entire enqine shifted aft 1/4 inch
* RK Clutch `swiss-cheesed` for coolinq airflow
* RK Clutch dynamic balanced to 12,000RPM at hot Rod shop
* Each component of RK clutch dial indicated/clocked upon installation
* RK clutch shoes weiqht-checked/matched wthin 1/10 qram
* T.I.R. each component < 0.001``
* T/R driveshaft mod. to include front 12`` isolated by 2 Morflex couplinqs like Brantly

I just can`t see how ANY of this could cause my problem? Maybe I`m blinded by my own arroqance thinkinq these mods are so perfect?

Climbinq

Climbinq

...causing the toothed sheave on the engine to climb pulling the engine up...

The enqine is definitely attemptinq to climb.
Dennis desiqned it with 2 adjustable, vertical struts that act as jack screws to keep the climb from happeninq and maintain enqine-crank/pinion centerlines in a parallel arranqement

The lower end of the 2 struts are hard mounted and the upper ends are fixed to the main qearbox throuqh 2 Barry Mounts. I have those 2 ordered but they were backordered and haven`t come yet.

here`s my enqine beinq prepped for install. That`s the neoprene Barry mounts and the stock Mini-500 motor mounts.

MVC-002F_zpsb9247c05.jpg