Mike G potential visit to US for RTB training

Mike G

Aircraft
Owned Magni M16 now ELA 07
Total Flight Time
550FW + 500 gyro
Covid permitting, in October, I intend to:

1) visit Abid at Silverlight to install the first GWS in a production gyro.

2) visit my sister in New Bern NC

3) attend the Barnstormers meeting where Chris Buchanan has asked me to give a presentation covering types of gyro vibrations and how to detect them, how a balancer works, how to read a Polar Chart & how to read a vibration spectral analysis. I gave this presentation to Chris at Bensen Days a few years ago and he thinks it’s understandable by the average gyro pilot. I’ll also present the GWS and the prototype USB accelerometer vibration recorder.

My very preliminary plan looks something like this but remains flexible, I’ve booked nothing yet and don’t even know if I’ll be allowed to enter the US from France because of Covid.

October2021
MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
Paris
Atlanta
Silverlight?
Silverlight?
Silverlight
Silverlight
Silverlight
Silverlight
Silverlight
RTB Florida??
RTB Florida??
New Bern
New Bern
New Bern
Barnstormers
Barnstormers
Barnstormers
Atlanta
Paris

There has been some interest in me giving a full 2 day PB4 Rotor Track and Balance training by some owner/pilots in Florida that could be done around my time with Abid, either the weekend before or after and there’s also been some interest in Texas.

Since I shall be travelling through Atlanta, if a group could be formed I would be happy to do a training session travelling from Atlanta before travelling to Florida or after Barnstormers before I leave.

If anyone is interested in organising such a training session in Texas, or anywhere within reasonable flight from Atlanta, please contact me and I’ll give you more details.

None of this is set in concrete and I am flexible for any other dates/ideas that might help anyone wishing to organise something, however my priority number one is to install and test the GWS in an AR1 followed by a visit to Barnstormers.

Mike G

I look forward to anything you can teach us at the Barnstormers event.

Ventana7
Sorry I should have explained, it's the Gyro Warning System I'm developing, see this thread:

Eric S
The full 2 day training session includes about 3 - 4 hours of class room presentations followed by the participants doing a Rotor Track and Balance with the PB4 (with me their to help if necessary) of as many rotors as we can during the time available. I have done a couple of these training sessions by internet it takes a lot longer and is pretty clumsy so I usually do it in a number of sessions.
The short 1 - 2 hour session that I plan to give at Barnstormers could perhaps be put on a video but that would require video expertise that I don't have and most of the interest is in the question and answer session that follows.

Sv.grainne
Organising a training session requires someone locally to really drive it to make it work. Usually it's a CFI or club president who has some sort of authority over his members and gets them to turn up. If you're interested in trying to organise something let me know and I'll send you a document I put together for potential organisers based on experience of things that go wrong.

Mike

Mike:

Thanks for the response, there are several members of a very active club based out of Houston active here. Will see if they express any interest. I'm pretty sure that one of the members may be working with the PB4 now.

Mike hopefully you can come (meaning Delta variant doesn't stop flights from France to Florida). I am taking as many precautions as I can here so you and my customers will be safe. We do a Covid test for everyone every 10 days. Almost all my employees are vaccinated and we dis-infect commonly touched spots every day.

Last edited:
If anyone is seriously interested in rotor track and balance and owns or is thinking about purchasing a PB-4, I Highly recommend they take advantage of Mike's visit to the US and arrange a training session. Mike doesn't get to the US that often and the time I spent with him on his last visit was immensely valuable.

The art of rotor balance and identifying vibrations present in a gyroplane are vast and often misunderstood subjects. Mike's insight from years of experience and continuous experimentation is priceless and he has a great no BS style of teaching. The PB-4 is an excellent tool for recording a full spectrum of vibrations and quantifying that which we can improve and also that which we cannot. It's incredible how sensitive the PB-4 is and more importantly how sensitive a gyroplane can be to rotor adjustments!

Chris Buchanan

Last edited:
Thanks Chris for your kind words.

This is not looking promising.

Plus the US still hasn't lifted restrictions on people traveling from France to the US.

Mike G