Mid-West to West Cost Flight

rohiem

OK on Miami approx. 10 A.M. Fri. 29

Tony

Hi Bob

Will you guys have time for lunch ??

Tony

Finally, the route is complete, all 3500 miles. We settled on a southerly route to the west coast and a more southerly route back. We listen to everyone’s advice and added a travel day to the trip. This shortened each days flying time and will allow us to fly early in the morning, stop mid-day, and then continue on into the evening.

We have 5 gyroplanes, one with a passenger, and a Robinson R 22 making the trip. We leave St. Louis on Friday at 06:00.

I hope to have the chance to meet some of you along the way. Think of it as a flying, fly-in. If we happen to be in your neighborhood, please join us for all or part of the trip.

Tony,

Lunch won’t work for us as we need to take advantage of the morning flight time. We will have time for a quick cup of coffee though :). On our return trip Thursday, we pass through Miami again. If you’re available then, we could have lunch. Thanks for the airport info, and I’ll see you Friday morning.

I attached the list of our planed stopping points along the way.

Thanks
Bob

[/ATTACH]

Hi Bob,

Greg contacted me re some advice or experience I could share, and I answered him. The suggestions and cautions mentioned in this thread are all sound and I second them.

Specifically, I would pay heed to high density altitudes you're likely to encounter. Passes through the Rockies up north are all at higher altitudes and more difficult to get through for several reasons. The Magni with two people on board will be the weak link of the chain regarding capability to climb, which you'll need. Figure in density altitude and at least a 2000 foot clearance to make it through a pass. If you can do that you're OK.

Get going at dawn and don't count on being able to fly much past noon. If you manage another leg late afternoon or early evening that'll be an added bonus. It is not just the thunderstorms but also the sometimes quite ferocious thermal activity over the desert that'll kick in late in the morning. It's just not very comfortable to fly through this, although perfectly possible if you're pressed for time.

You might want to plan for half fuel on critical legs in the Magni with double occupancy just to keep the weight down. It will mean more frequent fuel stops but also higher altitudes you can reach in less time.

Best of luck to you and please keep the reports and pictures coming,

-- Chris.

Hi Bob

Chapter 31 was going to meet you at Oceanside. Now I see there is no CA landing airport listed. Only LA area?

Where can we CA boys visit you Henderson Exec NV?

Chris,

Greg shared your e-mail with me, thus some of the changes we made to our flight plane. Advice coming from someone else who made the trip carries a lot of authority with me. Thanks for your advice and after all, it was your trip across the US that started us thinking about the journey. I only wish I (we) could have joined you when you were here.

John,

Meeting up with members of Chapter 31 would be great. The hop over to the CA side is still on. We are still discussing the final destination, and probably will be through the first legs. I will text you with my contact info. Let’s talk when we get to Henderson and make plans

Ok Bob, see you Fri. morning (may have a deal for you ;) )

Tony

Hi Bob!!
It was great to re-meet you on the phone.

Chapter 31 will be there and a small group may fly over and meet with you the day before. We could get some air shots of the whole group on the way to the cost.

Hi Bob,

The day trip to California listed form Monday, July 2. Were you planning on flying the gyros from Las Vegas/Henderson Exec to the LA area or catch a commercial flight to LAX? If a commercial flight, you might want to consider flying into Burbank Airport (KBUR) being it is much closer to Hollywood than LAX.

If you fly the gyros over to CA, I suggest land at Van Nuys Airport (KVNY) and park at the Airtel Plaza Hotel. Transient parking is free if you stay overnight (they offer lower priced aircrew rates). I'm sure you can get them to let you park the gyros there for free even if you just stay the day. From the Airtel, there are many tour buses that drive into Hollywood and other points of interest. You can also set up a rental car in advance at the Airtel if you desire your own transportation.

Fuel is a little high at VNYs however fuel is cheaper at near by Whiteman Airport (KWHP) and with prior arrangement, you can purchase fuel even at a lower price Agua Dulce Airport (L70).

Wayne

Last edited:
A little help needed.

A little help needed.

Bob Heimberger AKA roheim.

Sent me an email asking me to post this to the forum administrators.

John
Sorry to bother you, I just tried to post a message to the forum and I get a notice saying my post will be reviewed by a moderator before posting. If you have time later, please post on the forum that I am not able to respond .

have we been hacked ????

Tony

@Tony
I got a call from Bob. They missed you by 40 min's they had 40 kts head winds. Bod said he was sorry they missed you but will be refueling there so will see you on the return trip.

@ALL
Bob said they are having the time of there lives, he is speechless to express the joy.

They will be staying at Monument valley tonight and they are on schedule again for now.

They will be ending the trip here at CA Oceanside Airport.

Some of PRA31 rotorheads and one new friend I met today from Az Greg aka 'AzBee' will be meeting them there so the party is on guys!!

I'll be emailing PRA31 brother and sisters with more detail as soon as Bob talks the final schedule over with the pilots and then he will call me with more specific information.

Bummer!!!

Got another call from Bob.

His plus fuel pump went out on his brand new 914!!

He had to make an off airport landing.

No damage and I believe he is back at an airport now. (not certain)
What a war story he will have to tell!

He has to repair it though so, the others have flown on.

I was given Greg G's number and will call this afternoon and learn and post more of the story and about the Oceanside ETA.

The rest of the story... 2nd hand as I remember it so take it with a grain of salt.

Just got off the phone with Greg G.

They were flying along when Bob started having engine problems I guess he had some power left because Greg was able to fly ahead and look for a suitable landing field.

Greg found a road with only one wire going across it and radioed Bob the information and he was able to set her down without a scratch.

Tried to fix it in the field, I believe, but could not so is going to drive her back.

Now Greg two other gyroplane and the R22 are flying following road unlike the day before just in case.

They will be in staying in Tucson tonight and take off in the morning for Henderson NV at day break so I think they are behind schedule.

Greg now feels they will be in Oceanside in the afternoon... more as I learn more.

The latest

The latest

Well Bob got as far as Farmington New Mexico about 30 miles from the four Croners airport and had his landing.

He has the truck and trailer there now and will get his ride in the morning and start the 1000 mile drive home.

The boys did not make it to Tucson they are about 30 miles away.

They will fly to Tucson tomorrow and land at Henderson as scheduled.

Then they will take a brake and sleep in over night until about 9:00 AM and fly Tuesday into Oceanside CA. Meet with all of us and go to lunch. Refuel and fly the San Diego coast line then back to Oceanside refuel and head back to Henderson.

Anyone wishing to meet with us should expect them at Oceanside KOKB airport at about 11:30 AM on Tuesday July the 3rd.

Can anyone post the link where I can follow the GPS track of the flight?

Thanks, -- Chris.