MH-1 radiator update

MH1FLYER

We Fix Legends!
Well it was a hot day Tuesday 97 degrees and 87% humidity and my engine temp runs at 195 degrees on these very hot and humid days. Which according to Yamaha those temps are still ok, and I have been flying it and have had no trouble to this date. So Joe Rinke was here with Kevin a couple weeks ago and he wanted me to drop the radiator down to ketch more air flow. He also wanted me to lose the top fans and reverse the flow down instead of up. I agreed to give it a try and see what happens. One of the reasons he wanted me to try it was so that we can build a scoop to catch the air more toward the front of the helicopter. Joe also brought up when they were just getting some of the original machines built they still had some cooling issues with the Rotax. When you are in forward flight it fly’s nose down about 10 degrees and the air flow bypasses the inlet to the original radiator inlet. Keven wants to try to be the first to keep his enclosed with some of Joes fiberglass handy work to make the panels come off and the turtle neck as well with just the little piece of the back side of the turtle neck still around the tail boom but fixed in place. This will keep from having to slide the turtle neck on the tail boom and scratch the paint. Plus its off and out of the way. My radiator is only 1-1/4 inch lower than the original configuration. Joe will be making a new belly pan with an air scoop on top of the radiator that comes about half way toward the front and he will be louver the bottom so the air goes down and out. Also I’m building side scoops for the top of the turtle neck to force air into the top and down as well. I’m also putting a oil cooler on the back side of the mast support to catch the new air flow. My results were a 15 degree drop in temperature over all. It’s happy, and so am I. More on the oil cooler project later. Wish I was at Mentone and not working, but oh well. I just thought I would add some life to the forum until Mentone picture start coming around.

08052014 - YouTube

Attachments

• DSC_0068.jpg
    DSC_0068.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 0
John- You area a progressive thinker.....always striving to improve something .

That's great to be able to reduce your temps that much.

Wish you were here at Mentone. We are having a ball.

Stan

John- You area a progressive thinker.....always striving to improve something .

That's great to be able to reduce your temps that much.

Wish you were here at Mentone. We are having a ball.

Stan

Stan,

I wish I was there with all you guys and gals. I'm still waiting on my new trailer, which is suppose to be here in four more weeks. Than I will have to built supports and tie downs to secure the helicopter, generator and other things inside, and build some living quarters to stay in. I love to camp out, but I'm just too old for the tent thing. I can hardly wait to see some Mentone pictures. Have fun and enjoy yourself Stan, tell everyone hello for me.

John...have you thought about VGs on the bottom of the cabin?

Smiles,
Charles