Mentone - Are you going? POLL

Are you going to Mentone 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
There are two new Yamaha conversions coming to Mentone this year - my first visit since 2015, when I showcased the Silent Drive with prop strike protection clutch for Yamaha engines.

These two motors will be available for folks to inspect, and detailed information will be made available.

The first is an 80 HP Yamaha Phazer snowmobile engine (YG2) that has been successfully installed, and is currently flying, on a Quicksilver II float plane. This is a suitable alternative to the 2-stroke Rotax 582 @ 60HP & ~123 lbs installed. The 80 HP YG2 weighs about 127 lbs installed, is 4-stroke, liquid cooled, EFI.

The second motor is in the middle of being installed on Geoff Resney's (PRA Chapter 18) Air Command tandem, replacing a Subaru. This engine is from a Yamaha Apex 2011 snowmobile, and is not just a YG4 with EFI, but it sports a TITANIUM EXHAUST with EXUP valve, to produce 165 HP weighing 165 Lbs installed, while producing even more HP throughout the mid-range power band than any other engine in its class.

Last edited:

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!
Greg: How have you overcome the issues the Colorado guys had when they tried to make the YG2 work in their gyros (less-than linear power band, getting it to run well outside of sled use)?

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
I'm heading off in the morning! Seeya'all soon!!!

N447MR

Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ a broken seized up no good 2.2 subaru & 28' Dragonwings
Greg: How have you overcome the issues the Colorado guys had when they tried to make the YG2 work in their gyros (less-than linear power band, getting it to run well outside of sled use)?
I can only regurgitate, but what I understand about 16K rpm designed motors designed/detuned for sleds to 10.5K rpm is that they need to be excellent air pumps and breathe specifically as engineered. Modifications to the intake and the exhaust that cause any restriction from design are big problems. The EXUP variable tuned exhaust changes backpressure throughout the power band to create an almost flat response curve throughout the midrange. Even without the EXUP exhaust, as I understand, with the proper intake and exhaust installed as designed there is no mid range lag. I'm hoping to be able to fly this bird at midrange cruise with the elevated hp at half throttle thanks to the EXUP. We shall see.

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
Hey Kevin!

1. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

2. The secret's in the sauce.

3. Start out with a good engine w/ proper valve adjustment, and install with long header pipes and velocity stacks.