Mentone 2015

Why remove the stick?

Its ridiculous that only in the gyro community, there is some kind of expectation that only CFI's give rides.

I don't see people with their own two or more seat airplanes being asked to remove the second yoke or stick if they want to fly folks around and they aren't CFI's.

ok don't remove the stick , It was simply a suggestion that makes the whole operation clear, no chance of the FAA coming down on the pilot and no chance of upsetting the CFIs by giving a little back door instruction. It simply makes the nature of the flight clear for all to see.
apart from that , does the concept make sense ?

...no chance of the FAA coming down on the pilot and no chance of upsetting the CFIs...

This is not an FAA issue. Anyone who is legal to carry a passenger is also legal to provide instruction, but he can't charge for it, and the student can't log the time as formal instruction.

If anything, I would expect the FAA to have more questions for CFIs who charge people for a 15-minute intro flight on a Letter of Deviation Authority which allows charging only for instruction.

At Rotors Over The Rockies, we actually give an award for the pilot who does the most to help introduce newcomers to gyros. That could be simply being seen the most in the pattern in a single-place, or it could be intro flights in a two-place. Bottom line, CFIs at our event stay busy with paid flights anyway, and curious newcomers show up knowing they'll be able to get a flight from someone.

ok don't remove the stick , It was simply a suggestion that makes the whole operation clear, no chance of the FAA coming down on the pilot and no chance of upsetting the CFIs by giving a little back door instruction. It simply makes the nature of the flight clear for all to see.
apart from that , does the concept make sense ?

In my opinion the FAA does not want people flying experimental aircraft receiving compensation for giving rides including sharing expenses. I feel the FAA’s position is that if someone shares expenses for a ride they should have the protection of a certified aircraft.

They feel and accident statistics back them up that certified aircraft are safer.

It appears to me the FAA feels the public is not sophisticated enough to do risk assessments on the danger involved in flying an experimental aircraft. My experience suggests this is accurate.

In my opinion the FAA feels that a CFI with a LODA for instructing should not be receiving compensation for giving rides in their experimental aircraft.

Ron’s challenge was with a few CFIs who didn’t want him giving rides, not the FAA.

Receiving compensation for rides in an experimental is not an enforcement priority at the three FSDOs I deal with (San Jose, Riverside and Van Nuys). They may react if there is complaint or an accident. I have no idea how other FSDOs feel about this issue.

It is not likely that someone unfamiliar with the FARs will come up with a way to break the rules that the FAA has not thought of.

There are specific requirements for giving a ride in any aircraft and more for experimental aircraft even when compensation is not involved. How to operate he seat belts must be explained, emergency procedures should be gone over and in an experimental the experimental nature of the aircraft must be explained. I would suggest that anyone giving rides be familiar with these rules.

I feel it is important to explain the extra risk involved compared to flying in an airline. It is my observation that most people have no idea how to access the risks in aviation and they are probably still confused after I do my best to explain it to them.

Thank you, Vance

I gave a lot of rides in my RAF and my SparrowHawk, and never once asked for, insinuated, or even expected any monetary feedback......just a big smile on their face was my compensation. But occasionally they would shove some money in my pocket or buy me dinner. I would graciously accept it, but never asked for it

One year at Mentone I was pulling my SparrowHawk up the taxi way and someone out of the blue stuffs $40 in my shirt pocket. I asked "what is that for?...as I didn't know the guy. He reminded me that I had given him a ride the year before in Illinois. I had to laugh as I figured someone probably saw that and would say I was charging for rides also.

I soon tired of the liability exposure and went to my single seat chopper.

At Rotors Over The Rockies, we actually give an award for the pilot who does the most to help introduce newcomers to gyros. That could be simply being seen the most in the pattern in a single-place, or it could be intro flights in a two-place. Bottom line, CFIs at our event stay busy with paid flights anyway, and curious newcomers show up knowing they'll be able to get a flight from someone.

I won that award at both Mentone 2013 and ROTR 2014. I think CFI's that object to Ron and I giving free intro rides have it all wrong. We feed the desire for more and for a motivated individual to take the next step and get instruction.

At ROTR I required that the person I gave the ride to (or their parents) were a member of the PRA, or a member of the sponsoring chapter (URA or Chapter2. )

I heard the Utah club got several new members that now get their magEsign and newsletter. Maybe one will become a pilot someday. In fact, I know for a fact one young lady I gave a ride to has already taken dual from Air Gyro. I know because she sent me an e-mail excited to share her journey.

I consider the money and time I expend giving intro rides to be my contribution to growing our sport.

Yes I do give the required briefing, and NO I never accept compensation. If they shove money in my pocket, I give it back, tell them I can't accept it, and tell them if they are so inclined, suggest they might donate it to the PRA or the chapter.

M

We actually had a gain in membership and a gain in paid convention attendees but folks came and left before Saturday night.I believe the airport can provide enough revenue to provide real member benefits like discounted group insurance.

But it will take two years to get on the convention schedules. We are about the only place I know that has an airport / drag strip. Camping, cooking concession stand, air conditioned conference room, showers, office, etc. It's just in the middle of nowhere.

Other member benefits we are trying to find for you is storefront software where one day it will offer all thing rotorcraft in one place. Members products too.
Now that we should be able to do fairly quickly and may get folks to join and renew?

make that Friday night...

I won "Pilot & Machine" award in 2010 I think mostly because I probably gave more rides than most anyone else that year. I've never accepted a dime from anyone, not even for gas money. I don't think anything's wrong with it I just chose not to. If 100 people get rides from non CFI's and CFI's vs. 30 people getting rides from CFI's only our sport ultimately looses. I'm a businessman and a long term thinker. It would be very short sighted to think only CFI's should be giving rides at events such as Mentone.

Good Attitude & service to PRA & gyrodom....

Good Attitude & service to PRA & gyrodom....

- is recognized & "rewarded" - by the vote from your pilot peers! :hail: :yo:
Pilot & machine awards ( received by Mark - Mentone 2013 & ROTR 2014) .... are chosen by peer-vote from fellow pilots! That's a pretty meaningful award!

That was a GREAT idea to require the intro rides join the PRA or local club .... that way they will automatically receive ongoing information & encouraged to follow up ... if the seed sprouts! ( Seems like it did in one case!):cool:

Missed you @ Mentone Mark! Hope you are repaired & going again!

I won that award at both Mentone 2013 and ROTR 2014. I think CFI's that object to Ron and I giving free intro rides have it all wrong. We feed the desire for more and for a motivated individual to take the next step and get instruction.

At ROTR I required that the person I gave the ride to (or their parents) were a member of the PRA, or a member of the sponsoring chapter (URA or Chapter2. )

I heard the Utah club got several new members that now get their magEsign and newsletter. Maybe one will become a pilot someday. In fact, I know for a fact one young lady I gave a ride to has already taken dual from Air Gyro. I know because she sent me an e-mail excited to share her journey.

I consider the money and time I expend giving intro rides to be my contribution to growing our sport.

Yes I do give the required briefing, and NO I never accept compensation. If they shove money in my pocket, I give it back, tell them I can't accept it, and tell them if they are so inclined, suggest they might donate it to the PRA or the chapter.

M

reading this is sad. The rules are in print, all we have to do is fallow them. not feel them or think what it might be or make up things to bring a pilot down from what right he has.

Perhaps this idea is a non starter but I'll throw it out anyway.

I had planned to attend Mentone this year but family affairs made it impossible, perhaps next year.
What I would like is that somebody (but who??) makes a decent video of the event with flying sequences, interviews with pilots, builders, even newbie participants and recordings of the forums. This could be sold as a DVD for those, like me, who cannot attend but would like to follow the event and put a face to some of the members of this forum. Pricing could be different for members and non-members

I appreciate that making a quality video takes time and experience and I have no idea whatsoever of the cost(hence my comment that it may be a stupid idea) but perhaps there are schools that run video or journalist classes that would jump at the chance to make a documentary. There might even be a member who has this sort of experience.

Mike G

1. I would like to thank all of you for voting for me to be on the board of the PRA. Thank you to the bottom of my heart, I will not let the PRA down.

2. I have stepped up to take charge of the 2015 convention.

3. I would like to ask all of you to please stop all of the negative comments about the PRA. I believe it is a strong organization and the membership is on the rise.

IDEAS

We have enough ideas to but on ht biggest show on earth. Money is not an issue. Volunteers is where were short.

Please try to help math 2015 a big year for the PRA.

Thank-you for stepping up Brent!

You have our support ... let us know what we can do from KS!!!
Jim & Chris

Thanks Brent,
I'm ready to volunteer my time to make the 2015 convention the best gyro event of the year.
Since I live in Indiana I can help with local issues. I would like to see a schedule of events by Bensen Days to help promote the national event. The question is for next year, what do you want at the 2015 convention?

K. O

Thanks so much Kevin for stepping up for help. 2015 is going to be a stellar year.

I'd like to see many of you printing the Ezine and dropping it off at the local airport for others to read.
Were going to start having a page with an application for the PRA soon.

1. I would like to thank all of you for voting for me to be on the board of the PRA. Thank you to the bottom of my heart, I will not let the PRA down.

2. I have stepped up to take charge of the 2015 convention.

3. I would like to ask all of you to please stop all of the negative comments about the PRA. I believe it is a strong organization and the membership is on the rise.

IDEAS

We have enough ideas to but on ht biggest show on earth. Money is not an issue. Volunteers is where were short.

Please try to help math 2015 a big year for the PRA.

and do not forget this is all of our convention, that group precipitating is essential for a memorable event....:help:
My short version when I was a Boy Scout leader is if you complain you just volunteered to help....:party:

Great Idea!

Great Idea!

Perhaps this idea is a non starter but I'll throw it out anyway.

I had planned to attend Mentone this year but family affairs made it impossible, perhaps next year.
What I would like is that somebody (but who??) makes a decent video of the event with flying sequences, interviews with pilots, builders, even newbie participants and recordings of the forums. This could be sold as a DVD for those, like me, who cannot attend but would like to follow the event and put a face to some of the members of this forum. Pricing could be different for members and non-members

I appreciate that making a quality video takes time and experience and I have no idea whatsoever of the cost(hence my comment that it may be a stupid idea) but perhaps there are schools that run video or journalist classes that would jump at the chance to make a documentary. There might even be a member who has this sort of experience.

Mike G

Mike,

I think it's a great idea too! Now all we need is someone with the skills and time to do the work to create the video. Do we have any volunteers! If anyone likes to make videos, this would be a great project that could really help our organization and be a major benefit fro people that weren't able to be here. It would almost assuredly make them try harder to come next year. We just need someone willing to take on the project.

Doug Barker
PRA Pres.

We'll Now

We'll Now

No I didn't fly as much as the years past, Nor Did I make enuff money to pay for the Gas that I used going and coming to the event.

HOWEVER

I Did Exactly , what I set out to do,

I Spent Time with FRIENDS/ FAMILY that has Watched over Me for well over 20 years,

YES the attendance of gyros was down, well below the 100 or more that's been there in the past.

As far as Volunteers,,,, Ya DONT HAVE ANY IDEA,,,the time and Personal Money and what's done to help out, without ever wanting a ThankYou..

The PRA has NO YOUNG MEMBERS.. The AVERAGE AGE is 40 year old.

The days of AFFORDABLE GYROS are Over... 70-100K $ is nothing unusual for many of the European style
The Old Style Machines and Members are SLOWLY DISAPPEARING..

And if you weren't there,, YOU MISSED THE MOST AWSUMMM fireworks display I've ever seen.

It AINT ABOUT THE MONEY........IT IS ABOUT THE PEOPLE..

Atleast that's the way I feel about it ..