MCCULLOCH J2 For sale

hjajr

Aircraft
gyro,helicopter,fixed wing
Total Flight Time
http://www.barnstormers.com/cat.php?mode=search

http://www.hi-fold.com
MCCULLOCH J2 • $33,000 • FOR SALE • Gyrocopter, 98 Hrs. TTSN, Engine 0360, 0SOVH, Prop. 0SOVH, New Tires, Brakes, Battery, all new hoses, com, intercom, transponder, 33,000.00 (will consider reasonable offer) Contact Charles Kelly, located Bushnell, FL USA Telephone: 352 603-1148 • Contact Charles Kelly, Owner - located Bushnell, FL USA • Telephone: 352 603-1148 . • Fax: 352 793-5802 • Posted October 21, 2013 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser •

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
If it's airworthy, that's a steal.

GyroCFI

Aircraft
Snobird Tandem Adventurer
Total Flight Time
miss my J-2

miss my J-2

I really miss my Super J-2. That is a good deal if there are some spare blades, transmission and rudder cables... otherwise I think you'd have to re-register is as an experimental exhibition category since those components have time-life limited components... I believe the rotor thrust bearing is a 300 hour part too... That's The lack of replacement parts is the only thing that keeps me from getting back into a J-2...

Fly Army

Aircraft
From un-powered Paragliders off the side of a mountain to the Boeing 777.
Total Flight Time
18,000 ish , I guess
Wow, now I'll have something to go look at on my days off.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
I really miss my Super J-2. That is a good deal if there are some spare blades, transmission and rudder cables... otherwise I think you'd have to re-register is as an experimental exhibition category since those components have time-life limited components... I believe the rotor thrust bearing is a 300 hour part too... That's The lack of replacement parts is the only thing that keeps me from getting back into a J-2...

Schweizer/Hughes bearings work for the rotor head and are easy to get (it's the same design by the same guy). I flew Schweizer pitch links on mine.
The rudder cables are 600 hours, so if the TTSN is correct, that's 500 hours to go. The tranny needs a teardown and look-see at 600, but usually there's not much to do, since it gets used only for pre-spin (1 minute per flight).
Main rotor blades are 1200 hours. If you didn't want to have cables made, you could still fly this for 500 hours, park it, sell the engine, and have spent very little per flight hour.

Fly Army

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
18,000 ish , I guess
Funny, further down the same Barnstormers page there's a J2 tranny for sale for 2k.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT
I flew the Red one in Don's avatar. Wasnt overly impressed. Machine didn't feel sporty like a typical gyro, was loud, drank fuel like crazy, wasn't very fast, still used considerable runway to takeoff. It was still a neat machine to fly, and for the price asked for this one, maybe it is a good buy

GyroCFI

Aircraft
Snobird Tandem Adventurer
Total Flight Time
I flew the Red one in Don's avatar. Wasnt overly impressed. Machine didn't feel sporty like a typical gyro, was loud, drank fuel like crazy, wasn't very fast, still used considerable runway to takeoff. It was still a neat machine to fly, and for the price asked for this one, maybe it is a good buy

I could do everything in that J-2 that I could do in my Air Command... granted, some maneuvers took a little more room to pull off, and it certainly wasn't as quick to do the snap turns and such, but it was fun. You're right about the noise, they could hear you coming for miles... LOL I don't recall being too upset about the fuel consumption but that was back in the day of 1.80/gal avgas too...

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000

Mine used 8 gallons per hour, typical for an O-360, while carrying two people at 90 mph in weather-protected side-by-side comfort. Take-off took 0 - 200 feet depending upon load and wind, but no more, and it would land in its own length. Stick forces were very, very light. Mine had a muffler; the sound was distinctive (a mixture of the frequencies from a 3-blade prop, a four cylinder Lycoming and a 3-blade rotor system at about 420 rpm) but not offensive. The fellow I sold mine to was an RAF dealer who declared the J-2 "a Cadillac by comparison".

Fly Army

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
18,000 ish , I guess
It looks like a nice deal if you were the kind of guy that just absolutely had to have a J2 say a collector or someone like that. This particular one has a useful load of just 423 lbs ! Trying to run it in a training environment just doesn't make sense when you compare it's operating costs against something like a Calidus or MTO which both have higher useful loads and half the fuel burn. Not to mention the ability to burn mogas as well and lower maintenance costs overall.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
It looks like a nice deal if you were the kind of guy that just absolutely had to have a J2 say a collector or someone like that. This particular one has a useful load of just 423 lbs ! Trying to run it in a training environment just doesn't make sense when you compare it's operating costs against something like a Calidus or MTO which both have higher useful loads and half the fuel burn. Not to mention the ability to burn mogas as well and lower maintenance costs overall.

Perhaps. But you don't need a LODA for it, and can sell rides without restriction, because it is standard airworthiness. I only weigh 140 and didn't find the 1600 pound gross weight to be much trouble for me. One of the European gyros will cost you twice as much or more and that's for an unassembled kit; the difference will buy an awful lot of fuel ! If you track and balance it well, that fully articulated rotor is really, really, smooth and makes the typical teetering rig seem extremely rough by comparison. Mine was as reliable as gravity and cheap to annual, and I took comfort (safety confidence) in its engineering heritage and certification status. The real disadvantage for instruction these days is that it can't legally be flown solo by a Sport Pilot, and that's the rating people seem to want now.

Fly Army

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
18,000 ish , I guess
For some reason this one's listed mtw is 1500 lbs.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Ah - that weight goes with the little two-blade wooden Sensenich fixed-pitch prop. You get an extra 100 pounds with the three-blade constant speed metal Hartzell like I had (the "Super" J-2)

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
...But you don't need a LODA for it, and can sell rides without restriction, because it is standard airworthiness...

...but not around here. If I recall correctly the "non-super" J2's POH rules out takeoff at density altitudes over 4,000ft, and the actual elevation is above that here without accounting for temp.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
I took off with my Super once at a density altitude over 8,000 feet. It really didn't want to climb. I wouldn't use one to fly the Rockies, but in most of the country it does fine.