McCulloch J-2 N4315G Flight

J-2 Skyfarer

Aircraft
McCulloch J-2 gyroplane N4315G
Total Flight Time
I am delighted to announce that McCulloch J-2 N4315G is flying again after an extensive refurbish/overhaul. It had not flown since 2010. I bought N4320G from Silas Smith back in 1986, and Si flew back to Houston with me. I soloed the J-2 at my old home airport in La Porte, Texas. Si and I have stayed in touch during all these years, and he was happy to come down to Texas to get me checked out in N4315G. The first flight on May 8, 2024, was exciting, and the rotor system proved to be smooth and responsive, as expected. I have videos of those first flights, but they are, alas, too large to upload to this forum. Si is a gyro CFI, so I will be getting checked out and legal in the J-2. After all these years, I look forward to many more hours of fun flying in the J-2. The link below will take you to the video of the very first takeoff and landing. Silas Smith, CFI, in the left seat; Michael White in the right seat. The machine now has five hours on it since rebuild (102 total time).

Youtube says the above video will not be accessible until tomorrow, May 27.

Last edited:
J-2, can you post on YouTube? If not, I can give you a link to dropbox and can share from there.

I'm sure folks would like to see them.

Bobby

Delighted that another is getting back in the air!

I am delighted to announce that McCulloch J-2 N4315G is flying again after an extensive refurbish/overhaul. It had not flown since 2010. I bought N4320G from Silas Smith back in 1986, and Si flew back to Houston with me. I soloed the J-2 at my old home airport in La Porte, Texas. Si and I have stayed in touch during all these years, and he was happy to come down to Texas to get me checked out in N4315G. The first flight on May 8, 2024, was exciting, and the rotor system proved to be smooth and responsive, as expected. I have videos of those first flights, but they are, alas, too large to upload to this forum. Si is a gyro CFI, so I will be getting checked out and legal in the J-2. After all these years, I look forward to many more hours of fun flying in the J-2.
If you can PM them to me or post them somewhere I can grab them, I will reduce the file size and return to you for posting.

Congratulations! So few Private-class gyros flying, and J-2s in particular.

J-2, can you post on YouTube? If not, I can give you a link to dropbox and can share from there.

I'm sure folks would like to see them.

Bobby
Managed to upload a video of the first flight on YouTube. Here's the link.

Big files take a long time to process, but will be nice to see it.

I am delighted to announce that McCulloch J-2 N4315G is flying again after an extensive refurbish/overhaul. It had not flown since 2010. I bought N4320G from Silas Smith back in 1986, and Si flew back to Houston with me. I soloed the J-2 at my old home airport in La Porte, Texas. Si and I have stayed in touch during all these years, and he was happy to come down to Texas to get me checked out in N4315G. The first flight on May 8, 2024, was exciting, and the rotor system proved to be smooth and responsive, as expected. I have videos of those first flights, but they are, alas, too large to upload to this forum. Si is a gyro CFI, so I will be getting checked out and legal in the J-2. After all these years, I look forward to many more hours of fun flying in the J-2. The link below will take you to the video of the very first takeoff and landing. Silas Smith, CFI, in the left seat; Michael White in the right seat. The machine now has five hours on it since rebuild (102 total time).

Youtube says the above video will not be accessible until tomorrow, May 27.
When you're ready to give a ride please let us know. I've always liked those and would love to see it in person and maybe go for a flight if possible. I'm not too far away. About an hour West of Austin. If nothing else I'll fly next to you and take pics.

Eric

Do you have the two-blade wooden Sensenich prop or the controllable 3-blade Hartzell?

When you're ready to give a ride please let us know. I've always liked those and would love to see it in person and maybe go for a flight if possible. I'm not too far away. About an hour West of Austin. If nothing else I'll fly next to you and take pics.

Eric
Hello, Eric. My mechanic and I are checking everything out on the machine now that it has some time on it. N4315G had not flown since 2010 and had sat in a garage in Florida until I bought it three years ago. I basically disassembled most of the aircraft for a thorough inspection of all components. I had purchased a truckload of J-2 parts from Marv Wessel in Phoenix -- many of them factory-new. The O-360 had a good overhaul in 2010, but all four cylinders were rusted from lack of use. I put four new cylinders on it. I intend to get signed off by Silas Smith, CFI, and get legal with this J-2. I would be delighted to fly the J-2 over to your place and take you for a ride. Let's keep in touch.

Loved my Super J-2, have lots of hours in it, wish I never sold it. Spare parts were getting to be scarce as hens teeth though. They fly a lot differently with the doors off, tend to get buffetted by the wind.

Last edited:
I recall reading an article in a flying mag years ago about a guy who was test flying a J-2 to potentially buy it and he wrote the article
stating it was grossly under powered to the point of being dangerous!
I have always wondered about this because as a kid in Phx. I remember the radio station (KOY or KTAR I think.) had one for traffic news and I would see it all the time for a couple of years.... If it can fly in Phx. in the summer, I doubt that it is under powered, anyone have any insight here?

180 hp Lycoming for 1600 pounds gross. The O-360 is about as bulletproof and quirk-free as you can get. No Bing carbs!

The climb rate is not spectacular but it is far from dangerous. Performance is better with the three-blade constant speed prop.

It is designed for 125% rotor rpm prespin with a fully articulated rotor. That means no rotor management, balancing on the mains, "flap", low-g sensitivity, etc. Twin rudders, big horizontal stab way back, and centerline thrust. Soft-linked nosewheel steering. Standard Airworthiness certified.

Requires a recreational or higher rotorcraft-gyroplane rating (not sport pilot eligible), and that means an FAA DPE checkride.

Last edited:
On a cold day with single pilot and half tanks I could routinely jump it like 3 or 4 feet in the air on takeoff. Had to be quick to keep the climb going but was not much of a challenge...

I recall reading an article in a flying mag years ago about a guy who was test flying a J-2 to potentially buy it and he wrote the article
stating it was grossly under powered to the point of being dangerous!
I have always wondered about this because as a kid in Phx. I remember the radio station (KOY or KTAR I think.) had one for traffic news and I would see it all the time for a couple of years.... If it can fly in Phx. in the summer, I doubt that it is under powered, anyone have any insight here?
I never had a "climb" problem with my J-2 (N4320G) that I flew for 120 hours back in 1986 -- and that was flying in Texas where it gets mighty hot. Density altitude affects all flying machines. On cool days and with only me aboard, my climbs were better than most small, low-powered two-passenger airplanes. The worst climb I ever experienced in N4320G was at Conroe, Texas, with two aboard, full fuel, and 102 OAT. I had a mile-long runway. The J-2 climbed slowly but got us up and out of the airport with room to spare.