McCulloch Drone Engine

SpyderMike

Aircraft
Cirrus SR22, Rans S-16
Total Flight Time
500+
I never did...these were ads that I came across. Good luck with your search.

The one in OC seems to still be available.

Last edited:

JEFF TIPTON

Aircraft
Grumman AA5
Total Flight Time
4318-A is the data tag for a 72 hp version. You should be able to look within the cooling towers and see inside an exhaust port. A 72 hp jug has 3 cross members, (the 90 hp version has 1 in the middle)
The propeller should be 50 to 52 inches long and pitched at 26*. That will give you about 4000 rpm. Which should provide about 275 # of thrust. Not a homesick angle but enough (depending upon your weight and the DA) to get you in the air.
The picture looks like a TPI (Tennessee Propellor Inc.) prop. If so, it will be stamped.
The engine mount IS NOT a standard Mac mount. I would be very concerned about the aluminum cracking from the vibration.
Appears to be Bensen blades and Bensen head with a Dick Wunderlich prerotor attached.
Appears to be a Bensen B-8 frame without the rock guard and a modified vertical stab and rudder with a horizontal component stab added.
Just as a wild guess, the cheek plates for the rotor head appear to have an offset for about 175 - 200 pound pilot. A hang test is a must, and possible adjustments made for your weight.
The oil/gas bottle in the frontal area is to prime the rear jugs to help start the engine.
I will know when you do, I will hear it here in Tennessee. She will be loud. Hearing protection is a MUST; or you will go deaf like me.
R & D in Texas has all the parts for the engine. And sometimes a lucky hit on Ebay.
So, what is it worth? Loaded question with many variables. In flight worthy condition and flying - 4-5 grand. Like she is - Maybe $1000, because she is a pile of parts for a build: ie; rotor, rotor head, prerotor, wheels, tire, seat tank

https://www.rotaryforum.com/threads/barnfind-bensen.1144628/