Marv's New SC2

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
You've seen the article in Kitplanes........now get the real scoop from the owner...............................

Take it away Marv !!!!!!!!!..................................

Last edited:
Hi

A quick look on the FAA found no examples of the SC2 currently registered - I may not have been using the correct search terms so apologies if I ballsed up on this.

Did find the following WWW ref to the SC2 that may be of interest

http://airgyro.com/blog/sportcopter-2-update/

Chris, the example you mention in the magazine is it complete and flying or a kit in progress ?

Cheers

Steve

They had the Sport Copter II at Oshkosh, so it must be flying and selling.

The joys of research - for example when searching FAA is this type shown as,

Sportcopter or

Sport Copter or

SC2 or

SCII or

Sportcopter 2 or

Sport Copter 2 etc etc etc etc - lots of permutations

The example at Oshkosh was N546SC shown as c/n 001SC - the FAA show the type as "Sportcopter II"

So searching "Sportcopter II" produces one further example

N372GC with c/n shown SC003

#002 is either yet unregistered or maybe exported or maybe in use for factory static tests etc - hopefully someone knows.

Here's a photo of N546SC at Oshkosh

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1317408/

Early days.

Steve

The only Sport Copter II's that I am aware of is Marv's and the Prototype and I am not really sure if those two machines are really seperate machines or one in the same.

I suspect they have the Sport Copter II flying successfully, but probably not in production yet. If there were kits being shipped and people starting to build theirs I would bet that we would hear about it. I am not sure what the hold up is but I am sure there are plenty of challenges to overcome that you don't know about until you start trying to bring a machine like that to market. Personally I wish they would hurry and get some of them out in the market. From what I have seen so far, it is a very impressive machine and we could use some more examples of them out flying around. Perhaps we can talk Jim into bringing the prototype down to Mentone this summer for our 50th Annual convention. That could sure get it some great exposure from the people that love Gyros the most.

Last edited:
Doug, you must have missed the other thread ?

The Kitplanes article one ?

UpIf you guys knew Jim Vanek at Sportcopter you would realize that they are still coming up with great ideas to incorporate on the design. I haven't spoken to Marv lately so I don't know how he feels and won't speak for him. But I talked to Jim yesterday and he was excited about a new sub design they have come up with for the SCII. Well all just have to wait and see! Not my place to spill the beans.

I want to see the lighter (LSA?) version they are working on too!

There are two SCIIs currently flying. The red factory prototype that was at Oshkosh in...2007?...is still around, but was Subaru powered. That was a deal-killer for most people who walked up to learn more after seeing it.

Marv's white SCII has an experimental version of the Lycoming IO-360, is a terrific performer, and is a great demonstrator for the capabilities of the design, equipped with multi-camera FLIR, etc. But the unique issues of keeping a big, air-cooled engine happy in a pusher with enclosed engine has led to some cowl redesign.

I'll let Marv share the details here if he wants to, but we tentatively expect to see Marv and his machine at Rotors Over The Rockies in June for law enforcement demos.

Is Marv flying it or what ?

Come to "Rotors Over the Rockies" and find out all about it. (June 7-9)

Sport Copter II with cooling mods

Sport Copter II with cooling mods

The Sport Copter II was flying with new modifications to the cooling system that were successful. This picture was taken week ago last Saturday.

picture.php

Last edited:
The SCII has been temperature tested in AZ this summer at 115 F and cools fine. Sorry for not posting anything sooner but I've been traveling quite allot. The machine won best rotorcraft at Copper State fly in at Casa Grande. It should be at all the PRA15 meetings and the Coolidge AZ breakfast Fly Ins. Stop by and see it :)

Attachments

• Copperstate 2012 comp.jpg
    Copperstate 2012 comp.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 0
Very nice! I would love to hear more about this machine, and see more pictures.

Marv,
Living only 15 miles from Scappoose I've enjoyed watching this machine go together from inception (Big Red) to your machine. Got a ride in big red once but didn't manage to sneak a ride in your bird.
Does it meet your expectations or are there things you would change.

Brock,

I have a stable of 6 gyroplanes and had another 3 that I no longer have. The SC II is the culmination of what a perfect Gyroplane can be. I have a certified gyro that wishes it could be everything that this gyro is.

It has power, performance, maneuverability and comfort. I'm certain I'll keep tweaking things to my liking but that's the beauty of an experimental aircraft isn't it?

I'm training my compadres at Mountain Rescue to perform TFO functions. This gyro will see serious SAR action.

Stay tuned.

Please keep us up to date . I would love to get a flight in one .

By the way what are the other gyro's you have and which is your 2nd favorite.