Marvels Mystery Oil...

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex
Total Flight Time
300+
A couple of you guru's had suggested I use some of this stuff. So, whats the best way to do it? Pour some in the tank, How much and should you use it elsewhere like the carbs?
Ben S

Ron Menzie runs MMO I believe, but this is in a ej 2.5.

Last edited:
Well thanks guys, but I was sorta hoping...

Well thanks guys, but I was sorta hoping...

for info about using it on a rotax 503 on a gyro, not my truck. I have no doubt that there is someone out there that knows wheter or not this stuff is a good idea. At this point I'm inclined to not use it and just change my plugs after my flight on avgas today.
Thanks anyhow.
Ben S

My opinion means absolutely nothing, but you don't seem to be getting any help here, so...........
I have several OLD Hunter fans at home. Some on a back porch with lots of exposure to very humid air. When they start bogging down I oil them with MMO and they start singing like new. OK, you didn't ask about fans.
When I started this gyro thing, one of the old timers who has been doing his own maintenance all these years, has used between one and two ounces of MMO in five gallons, in addition to the fifty to one mix. He states that his engines - mostly 503 - have been remarkably free of sludge, or deposits of any kind. And he burned strictly 100LL. He also doesn't like Obama, so I know he's right in the head.
I doubt that this helps, but it's all I've got.
Best of luck.........
Trez

hmmmmmm

hmmmmmm

Very interesting reading.
as the jurys still out AND I am having NO problems as of yet, I will not be using the bottle of mmo just yet.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Ben S
Thanks all

Here's my thoughts. 2 stroke oil is carefully formulated to do its thing when mixed at the proper ratio. Why would you want to change its properties by adding other oils and chemicals? AGAIN, I have flow OVER 70 hours on nothing but 100LL, and Pennsoil outdoor 2 stroke oil. NO PROBLEMS so far. (582 gray head).:noidea:

I have been using Marvel Mystery Oil to lube my tailrotor driveshaft.

Stan

I attended a class sponsored by Shell Oil Co. years ago, it was given by a Shell engineer on the properties of Shell oils and greases. A question came up about Shell's valve lubricating top oil that came in a small can (about 4oz) which you added to your gas tank with a fill up. He said all the upper cylinder lubs on the market were all gimmicks. Shell figured they might as well get there cut of the market.

I have used it in 1950's and 60's cars to quiet down sticky lifters, and it has worked very well for that. I do not think I would run too much of it in a 2 stroke because it does have quite a bit of solvents in it.
I did find this:

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
- It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well. [Naphthenic oils have more solvency and are more polar (they are attracted to metal more), but oxidize faster.

29% Mineral Spirits
- Cleans Varnish very well. General cleaner. Also acts as an antioxidant.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron
- AW/EP agent, friction reducer, antioxidant

900 ppm Phosporous
- AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent
- Not just for the cent, is also a cleaner. may aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color
- well this one just colors the stuff

A Piper used for banner towing went down when (it was suspected) that too much Marvel oil was put in the fuel.

According to the FAA inspector, the additive that was added to the fuel was Marvel Mystery Oil. An empty 1 gallon can of Marvel Mystery Oil was found in the operator's trash. Instructions found on the can stated that the correct ratio for mixing with fuel was 1 part additive to 100 parts fuel.

The contents of Marvel Mystery Oil were
74 percent mineral oil,
25 percent stoddard solvent,
and 1 percent lard.

Stoddard oil is a paint thinner and a cleaning solvent

More here:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20020916X01610&ntsbno=NYC02LA181&akey=1

I was at a sales seminar where they were recruiting dealers to get in on a ground floor opportunity to market a magic engine oil additive.

The promoter testified he had drained the oil out of his crankcase and driven his Cadillac Seville for 60 miles from Winnipeg with no harm to the engine. He invited everyone in the room to step outside and he pulled the dipstick out and no oil was showing.

My problem was I recognized a shortened dipstick right off the bat.

His problem was when I asked him what ran his hydraulic lifters when no oil was in the engine.

Just goes to show that selling snake oil can indeed buy Cadillacs.