Make WRENS Great Again! - WRENS GA Fly-in 2021 - Oct 1-2

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
It appears the party has begun.

Drop everything and crawl, walk, jog, bike, bus, drive, or fly in.
You don't want to miss the fun in life, just live it!!!!!

Last edited:

N962GT

Aircraft
Mohawk Arrow 140T
Total Flight Time
800 hrs
Even more gyro-heads heading toward Wrens!

Trell N. in his Purple Haze Dominator, and Wayne P. from GEORGIA are now planning to be there!!

See the full list on post #2, here:

https://www.rotaryforum.com/threads...-ga-fly-in-2021-oct-1-2.1146467/#post-1181210

Mark

TRELL warmin' up for a flight in 2015. Note: Kurt's AC still had a Soob on it back then... pre-Yamaha:
View attachment 1153369
With my pilot weight 195 lbs Kurt's EA81 Soob would absolutely not maintain altitude in the flatest of flat pedal turns. Once you started turning, you were going to land, period, ready or not. Kurt was able to get it around the pattern tho, he's a lot smaller than me. And, trust me, I had plenty of prior experience getting a low-powered gyro (~35hp) around the pattern with John Pipe's little Vanscraft aka Sportcopter with the round tube mast and half a V belt riding in a pulley for nose wheel brakes...

N962GT

Aircraft
Mohawk Arrow 140T
Total Flight Time
800 hrs
There was a TON of confusion about the dates for this event. First it was going to be in September. Then they moved it to October and apparently several EAA Ch 172 members got dropped from the updates list and STILL thought it was in September just a couple of weeks before the event, I kept getting email from some of them about it...Then of course there was the Barnstormer's event later this month which although was not a conflict it for sure knew when it was going to take place and suffered no late summer changes in scheduling. I won't go into how many PRA notices I received with incorrect dates for this event. As for me, I planned on flying the 100 miles there on Friday, staying overnight and returning late Saturday. But at 9:15 AM Friday it was raining cats n dogs all around my place in "Cola", the clouds never really broke up, and I just wasn't in the mood to play tag with local rainstorms against a dark, gray sky. So I flew in and out on Saturday. By the time I got back to CUB I had a pretty fair case of buttitis and left-pedal-foot ants crawling around in my sneakers.

All in all this was the lowest turnout since I started going in 2007. Others had issues enroute and at least two others gyros turned back to A4A Cedartown on Friday, and some of us who drove are just plain getting old and don't want to be bothered with trailering anymore.

I brought along a new gyro club member in tow, George Fogel, who flew in from CUB leaving and returning CUB - 65J - CUB in his Cherokee on schedule I flew, we took off from CUB about the same time, and landed back home within a couple of minutes of each other. I made no stops on the way to 65J Wrens, but got a bit chilly and stopped over at AIK Aiken to put on a flannel shirt.

Below is a link to a neato keen Thunder Mustang V12 Falconer that the guy in the hanger directly across from me started 1998 and just finished, then he had another guy work the bugs out for him. I was getting ready to take George Fogel up in my Yamaha "Gunslinger" Air Command tandem last Sunday when the delivery boy arrived.

Barry, K., this Bud's fer U. Now git bizzy, boy. This is a 250 kts fly-by.

IMG_1578-640x480.JPG
IMG_1582-640x480.JPG

(This is the exact same color as my first car, a '69 Cougar 300 hp 351W - Pantera engine - droptop with white leather seats. Dang. That's our newest gyro member, George, cleaning off the bugs with his elbows. )

Last edited:

N962GT

Aircraft
Mohawk Arrow 140T
Total Flight Time
800 hrs
Shots of Wrens 2021

IMG_1606-640x480.JPG

Mark Linn's Single place Rotax 582, Greg Spicola's AR1 Epex (Rotax roots) 150T, Greg Mills's (vintage 2012) Air Command YG4 140, & Scott McNeil's Tango YG3 135. Pretty decent line up of hot rod gyros, considering the light turnout. These are three of the best powerplants on gyros anywhere, power-to-weight. Spicola's AR is putting out 154 HP / 670 dry wt., the Mohawk Air Command Yamaha 4 is 143 HP at 570 lbs dry, and Scott's Tango is running a brand spankin' new Yamaha 3-cyl, weighing in at ~650 lbs. The old-school Air Command has a 90MPH VNE though, while the newer Eurotubs top out at 120 mph so a drag race is not even a consideration. But an uphill climb with just a few gallons of fuel on board is an interesting shootout spectacle to behold between these 3, very well-muscled birds. Trell Norton's "Purple Rain" Dominator 503 is at the far end behind Scott's machine.
IMG_1607-640x480.JPG

This 912is powered chopper has been attending Wrens for the past few years and drew a crowd again when she arrived. <drool>
IMG_1609-640x480.JPG

Last edited:

Scagmo

Total Flight Time
18. . took some lessons 30 years ago but never finished
Had planned on being there but had a death in my wife’s family and a funeral to attend. cya’yall next year.

NetPilot

Tryin' to Re-Member
Aircraft
2016 Rotax 503 "Jake-inator" (i.e. Gyro Jake's 2016 creation)
Total Flight Time
300+

NetPilot

Tryin' to Re-Member
Aircraft
2016 Rotax 503 "Jake-inator" (i.e. Gyro Jake's 2016 creation)
Total Flight Time
300+
Are you sure that's an 912is in that chopper?

wolfy
This is what the FAA Registry says: "912ULS SERIES"

...also see the video mentioned above for clearer view of it.

Last edited: