Magni M24 Wanted

Doctordantodd

Aircraft
Magni M16, M24 Plus, ELA Eclipse, Dominator
Total Flight Time
750 hours
I am dreaming of owning a Magni M24, preferably with a 915 engine. Anyone know how I can get one?

Thanks, I am currently training with those guys! I thing the m24 with the 925 's are hard to come by. And I want one now. The world is ending you know. Would love to fly out where you are some day. Looked at your sight. Looks awesome!

Hey Doctor - get good training before you start soloing. I have read physicians pilots have high accident rates than other pilots. Suspect due to having the money to fly, but not the time to stay current?

Yea, I do realize that. My dad was also a surgeon and I remember a lot of his collegues going down and I know a few as well. But, on the other hand life is short anyway.

One of my very best clients is a spinal surgeon.

He learned faster and was smoother on the cyclic than most.

He grasped pre-flight inspection and check lists much better than my average client.

He has a very good grasp of aviation decision making.

He went to Italy to build his 915 powered M24 Magni.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.

I am thinking about doing that as well. This Chinese virus is sort of disrupting my life. On the other hand it has given me the time to pursue this dream.

Magni have really only just started putting 915s in their gyros. I would be surprised if there were any in the US yet, and if there are, they would likely be brand new and built by their owners (and thus not for sale). The best thing to do to get one of your own is what Vance's spinal surgeon did... once people can cross the Atlantic again!
Vance, do you know if your guy has actually got his flying here in the US yet?

There are several 915iS powered Magni M24 gyros already in the US - my notes suggest among the first was N284DC Magni gyro c/n 1157 - this was registered 28-12-18 ie about 17 months ago

others include

N647TB
N844CM
N109MR
N327JD - had a prang in Jan 2020
N102DH
N581BJ
N777TE
N451RM
N198GG - Magni gyro c/n 1232 registered Jan 2020

maybe others too that I missed

Look for the final digit "6" in the construction number to identify 915iS engines.

HTH

Steve

Thanks, Steve. N844CM is an M16, though, so it's still single digits on the M24 Pluses. BTW, it's the airworthiness date I'd look at to see if they're flying yet, not the registration. Only the first two of those have been "airworthy" for at least a year.

Speaking of registration, does anyone know when the re-reg period will increase to 7 years (from 3), as mandated by Congress?

Last edited:
"............... once people can cross the Atlantic again! "

daily transatlantic flights going on - I live close to airway UL9 one of the routes to from the USA and Europe - not as busy as usual for sure but still some daily passenger flights - looking up I see VIRGIN 685 out of Heathrow thirty mins ago en route JFK ( A350 G-VJAM ) - BA, Delta and American still ploughing back and forth too. Plus flights from other European capitals.

Attachments

• virgin.jpg
    virgin.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 4
Magni have really only just started putting 915s in their gyros. I would be surprised if there were any in the US yet, and if there are, they would likely be brand new and built by their owners (and thus not for sale). The best thing to do to get one of your own is what Vance's spinal surgeon did... once people can cross the Atlantic again!
Vance, do you know if your guy has actually got his flying here in the US yet?
It is my impression that he has, I don't know it for a fact.

Right now Mark Sprigg is moving more Magni's than anyone in the world and I think most are ordering the 915. Fuel economy over the 914 and takeoff and climb performance are the main benefits. As the saying goes if I had been born rich instead of soooo good looking I would have one now. LOL

yes plenty appearing in the US in recent years - the snapshot below is from my own notes and shows recent US activity - only one of these has a 914, the rest all 915iS - the most recent Magni construction number I've found is ship #1250 a M24 here in the UK.

Attachments

• SMmag.jpg
    SMmag.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 8
In my opinion, unless you consistently fly at higher altitudes, the 912 ULS performs nearly as well as the 914, and is a lot simpler to deal with (no turbo/waste-gate control issues, pressurized carbs, etc).
The 915iS is one step beyond these, of course, being basically a turbocharged and intercooled 912S, with the addition of electronic fuel control. The tradeoffs are that it's necessarily more complicated, longer, heavier, and nearly twice the cost of the 912.

daily transatlantic flights going on - I live close to airway UL9 one of the routes to from the USA and Europe - not as busy as usual for sure but still some daily passenger flights - looking up I see VIRGIN 685 out of Heathrow thirty mins ago en route JFK ( A350 G-VJAM ) - BA, Delta and American still ploughing back and forth too. Plus flights from other European capitals.

That's all well and good, but "non-essential" travel to the EU is still suspended, and probably will be until at least June.

Lone Star Magni Gyro owner Dayton Dabbs is a fantastic resource for info about all things Magni. Give him a call.

In my opinion, unless you consistently fly at higher altitudes, the 912 ULS performs nearly as well as the 914, and is a lot simpler to deal with (no turbo/waste-gate control issues, pressurized carbs, etc).
The 915iS is one step beyond these, of course, being basically a turbocharged and intercooled 912S, with the addition of electronic fuel control. The tradeoffs are that it's necessarily more complicated, longer, heavier, and nearly twice the cost of the 912.

That's all well and good.............................. Has the M24 Orion every been produced with a 912 ? I'm not aware of any ( approx 330 and counting built so far ) and this thread is about wanting a M24. There are a few M16 with a 912 engine, but the lions share of modern Magni is 914, until the 915iS turned up.