Magni M24 vs. Calidus vs. Cavalon

98InTheHole

I'm doing research on the European side by sides (I know the Calidus is tandem) and I wanted to get people's opinions on these three, and maybe others I may have missed.

The requirements for my list of possible gyros are:

1) Must be flying for over 1 year (I know the Cavalon hasn't, but it seems to be built on the same platform as the Calidus and MTO, correct me if I'm wrong)
2) Must have sold successfully, meaning more than just a couple around
3) Must be enclosed
4) Must be a 2 seater
5) Must look pretty :) (I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this is the reason why the Xenon is not in my list, I just don't like the looks)

So far, these are my thoughts on the 3, please feel free to dispute and/or correct any of my thoughts below:

Magni M24:
Pros:
-Been flying the longest of the 3
-Many have been sold
-Very well liked manufacturer
-Looks great
-Mostly good (although mixed) flight reviews
-UK CAA certified

Cons:
-Not sure if the doors are detachable (haven't found such info)
-A couple of design/manufacture issues, door coming off inflight and rudder pedal mounting block (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.asp...detail&id=4433)
-Heard its a bit underpowered due to weight (with 914 engine), and thus longer takeoffs

Calidus:
Pros:
-Looks very sexy
-UK CAA certified (not 100% sure, I've found conflicting info)
-Very good flight reviews
-Lightest of the 3

Cons:
-Case of engine overheating
-Concern for ability to quickly evacuate in case of a roll due to the canopy style
-Rotor blades (not sure if something has been done in this regard, many issues posted)
-Tandem (although I'm warming up to the idea)

Cavalon:
Pros:
-Awesome looking

Cons:
-Been flying less than 1 year
-Visibility (from what I can tell on the photos, not actual experience)
-Probably rotor blades as well.
-Not found enough flight reviews

What do you guys think? Am I missing any gyros that would fit in this comparison?

Please add to the Pros and Cons listed above. Thanks.

Last edited:

rfsolutions

Black Sheep Rotorcraft
Aircraft
SCII, McCulloch J-2/AAG Conv/Vortex/Mooney M20C/Sparrowhawk II
Total Flight Time
1000+
CAA link is broken?

Texasautogyro

Gyro Master Instructor
Aircraft
AutoGyro MTO Sport/Cessna 172
Total Flight Time
6400 with over 2400 in gyro
Cavalon and calidus

Cavalon and calidus

I am the dealer for Auto Gyro for the state of Texas. 2 Cavalons have been ordered for the US they should show up in Dec 2011 We have 4 Calidus models in country 2 flying one in a kit and the other is unknown status. The MTO sport and Calidus are on a simular basic design but the prerotator is not at all the same the Cavalon is closer to the Calidus but the frame is I think 2 pieces and part aluminum. The Calidus is tubular stainless steel and the MTO sport is square stainless both one piece tig welded. The useful load is about 600lbs on the MTO top speed about 95kts. the Calidus about 5-10kts faster but not so big of useful load. Cavalon I honestly do not have those stats. Price for kits is based on the Euro but its about 80-90 housand for a Caladus and over 100k for a Cavalon all depends on what you put in them I must say the Cavalon we had at Osh Kosh was more like the Maybach of Gyros.
The rotors are extruded aluminum. I have seen them fly all of the jungle of Costa Rica and seen an MTO with about 700 or more hours that looked in perfect shape. Any questions on the matter let me know Desmon Butts 907-8412409 CFI

ckurz7000

Aircraft
ArrowCopter
I'll give you a bit of personal info on the one gyro on your list that I have the most hours in, the Calidus:

It is a great gyro to take on long cross country trips while at the same time being agile and fun to fly around the pattern for yanking and banking. You should definitely order it with the Ivoprop and the optional roll trim. A Rotax 914 isn't necessary unless you routinely fly at high density altitudes. Cruise performance solo is 100 mph and dual about 90 mph.

I liked the large ground clearance of the horizontal stabilizer, which makes real slow landings possible. That's one thing I don't like about the M24, you have to land it pretty flat, like a fixed wing.

The handbook says to keep engine rpm below 1600 until the prerotator clutch is fully engaged. That's absolutely a must! If you engage above 1600 rpm or advance throttle beyond that before the clutch is fully engaged, you'll wear out the prerotator very quickly.

Cabin room is ample and particularly wide in the rear. I'm 6'4'' and have no problem flying dual, even with someone substantial in the back. Once I went up with both my kids in the back seat (8 and 11 years old). They fit nicely side-by-side in the rear seat.

I still have the old style hub which in the past has had some problems with cracks starting to show on the outboard bolt holes of the blades. This problem has been thoroughly investigated and remedied by a totally new hub, which is more flexible, tapered toward the outboard side and with a larger pre-cone angle. To my knowledge, the blade cracks are now a thing of the past.

If you fly in sunny climes, do yourself a favor and order the canopy with the sun roof. It makes it so much more comfortable to fly without having the sun beating down on you constantly.

-- Chris.

98InTheHole

I'll give you a bit of personal info on the one gyro on your list that I have the most hours in, the Calidus:

It is a great gyro to take on long cross country trips while at the same time being agile and fun to fly around the pattern for yanking and banking. You should definitely order it with the Ivoprop and the optional roll trim. A Rotax 914 isn't necessary unless you routinely fly at high density altitudes. Cruise performance solo is 100 mph and dual about 90 mph.

I liked the large ground clearance of the horizontal stabilizer, which makes real slow landings possible. That's one thing I don't like about the M24, you have to land it pretty flat, like a fixed wing.

The handbook says to keep engine rpm below 1600 until the prerotator clutch is fully engaged. That's absolutely a must! If you engage above 1600 rpm or advance throttle beyond that before the clutch is fully engaged, you'll wear out the prerotator very quickly.

Cabin room is ample and particularly wide in the rear. I'm 6'4'' and have no problem flying dual, even with someone substantial in the back. Once I went up with both my kids in the back seat (8 and 11 years old). They fit nicely side-by-side in the rear seat.

I still have the old style hub which in the past has had some problems with cracks starting to show on the outboard bolt holes of the blades. This problem has been thoroughly investigated and remedied by a totally new hub, which is more flexible, tapered toward the outboard side and with a larger pre-cone angle. To my knowledge, the blade cracks are now a thing of the past.

If you fly in sunny climes, do yourself a favor and order the canopy with the sun roof. It makes it so much more comfortable to fly without having the sun beating down on you constantly.

-- Chris.

Thanks a lot for the info, and the detailed tips, should I decide on the Calidus they will be very helpful.
Glad to hear that something was done about the blades.

I do fly in fairly warm weather, I was certainly thinking that the sun roof would be great, I was also thinking of getting the summer canopy with the side cut-outs, any experience with that one?

ckurz7000

Aircraft
ArrowCopter
I do fly in fairly warm weather, I was certainly thinking that the sun roof would be great, I was also thinking of getting the summer canopy with the side cut-outs, any experience with that one?

No, unfortunately not. Although I have heard from somebody else that it feels like flying with the "doors off". They certainly seemed to like it.

-- Chris.

JAL

Aircraft
MT03sport/C172
Total Flight Time
do consider the Xenon but remember that it does have unproven engine

98InTheHole

Thanks, but I honestly don't like the Xenon that much, both the looks and the engine. The more I look into this, the more the Calidus is looking like the one.

If we talk about takeoffs, which of these machines (with the exact same pilot weight) would do the shortest takeoff?

PTKay

Gold Member
Aircraft
Socata Rallye
Are you aware, that in Calidus you seat like in a trike,
or a motorcycle, the back seat passenger legs have room
only under the arms of the pilot in the front seat.

Very cosy, but not my choice... :)

98InTheHole

Are you aware, that in Calidus you seat like in a trike,
or a motorcycle, the back seat passenger legs have room
only under the arms of the pilot in the front seat.

Very cosy, but not my choice... :)

I am aware, I know it's a compromise, but 95% of the time I will be flying solo anyway, so I can live with that, the more streamlined looks and the better visibility the tandem gives is worth it for me at this time.

Mike G

Aircraft
Owned Magni M16 now ELA 07
Total Flight Time
550FW + 500 gyro
If you're flying 95% solo then go for a tandem.
Mike G

dragonflyerthom

Platinum Member
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE
Total Flight Time
183FW 132Gyro
98 have you looked at the arrow copter? It is the absolutely best looking gyro around. Tandem seating tho.

98InTheHole

98 have you looked at the arrow copter? It is the absolutely best looking gyro around. Tandem seating tho.

I have looked, and I agree, it is the best looking, however it does not pass my "out-of-test-flying" test since it hasn't been around long enough (I'm not sure it's even flying today by someone other than the manufacturer, it is unclear)

dragonflyerthom

Platinum Member
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE
Total Flight Time
183FW 132Gyro
I think that if it is using a dependable powerplant it should be a good choice. Everything else is negotiable. If I had the money it would be my second choice behind the J2.

PTKay

Gold Member
Aircraft
Socata Rallye
Thanks, but I honestly don't like the Xenon that much, both the looks and the engine.

Have yu seen the Xenon 3?
Much nicer for my taste, and faster.

Regarding engine, it's you choice, you can have it with the
same engines. like the others, Rotax 912S or 914,
if you don't like the RTS.
Anyway, the RTS modification is Rotax approved and
showed to be more reliable than the original 914.
There is no electronics to fail.

Learjet

Aircraft
Magni M16 Magni M22
the RTS modification is Rotax approved and
showed to be more reliable than the original 914.
There is no electronics to fail.

Hi PTkay, when did Rotax give approval to the RST mod? This is good news for Xenon RST owners as I seem to remember reading a post here somewhere that indicated Rotax had refused to factory warranty the engine with the RST mod and Xenon had to warranty it themselves?