Magni M16 wiring diagram

Mike G

Aircraft
Owned Magni M16 now ELA 07
Total Flight Time
550FW + 500 gyro
Does anybody have a wiring diagram for an M16? I have the one in the Rotax manual but that's all. I'm working on the instrument panel that a previous owner has modified and I'd like to see what it was supposed to look like and get it back to standard.

Mike G

Mike does this help?

there is a file size attachment limitation - if too small drop me a PM with your email address and I'll email you a higher resolution version along with the Instrument panel layout diagram from the Magni Maintenance manual (which I can also try and get to you - but it's 32 megs!)

Dave

Attachments

• Magni M16 wiring diagram.doc
    137.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
If you want to transfer large files, I would recommend a website called Goaruna

http://goaruna.com/

On the right side of the screen you have a place to enter the recipients email address, the next box down will let you browse your computer for the file, up to 100MB, and the next box down will allow a description.

The way this works, you upload the file to this site, it sends an email to the recipient letting them know the file is at a location, the recipient clicks the link and downloads the file.

I have had pretty good results and so far they are not charging for the service.

Learjet
Many thanks for the support I'm still waiting for Magni to send me one. This shows the real value of this forum.
I'll send you my e:mail address, I'd appreciate a manual and a clearer copy of the wiring diagram.

I have one of the very first M16s and the wiring isn't like the diagram you sent. It's also been butchered by one of the previous owners so I'm trying to get it back to standard.
Do you know if the fuel pump switches have the 5 amp fuse incorporated in them because I have no 5 amp fuses on my gyro? I have two different types of switch, one (aux pump) is much larger than the main pump switch (that looks like someting from a car) and I suspect that the aux pump switch has the 5 amp fuse in it and when the main pump switch failed the previous owner probably changed it out for a cheaper one without realising that he'd lost the 5 amp fuse in the process.

Also it seems strange to me looking at your diagram that the main fuel pump switch is driven from the generator 20 amp fuse. This seems to me to mean that if you lose the generator or Regulater/rectifier you also lose the main pump.

I hope to refit the instument panel this weekend.

Mike G

Last edited:
Learjet
Thanks very much, I've printed it.
I had a French manual but it had much less detail.
The wiring diagram isn't quite right for my M16 but I'll use it as a basis to draw my own.

I'm still curious to know why Magni run the main pump off the generator fuse.

Mike G

Mike,

I don't have time to cruise the forums much, but I could help you on this. I assume you have the 914 engine. The wioring is different than the 912.

Attached is the M16, 914 schematic we use on the kit builds in the U.S. But, be aware, the schematics have changed over the years slightly - so you might need to buzz out some of the wiring harness. The attached schematic is the altst version we use, and it shows some optional lights and radio hook ups.

BTW: there are two fuel pumps on the Magni 914 arrngement - one is wired to the generator side of the Master switch, and one is on the Accessory side of the Master switch. We would typically call the generator side one the Primary, and teh Battery run one the Aux - but which one would run with an electrical problem depends on which side failed - the generator or the battery.

- Greg Gremminger

Attachments

• Scheme M16 914 Rev 0F.pdf
    94.4 KB · Views: 7
Greg
Thanks very much for the feedback.
I've started making my own wiring diagram based on the one that Learjet sent me. My M16 is one of the very early ones it still has the VPM cockpit and the wiring is similar to later ones but not the same. I'm making wiring diagram for the next owner, if I ever sell the machine.
Looking at your diagram you sem to have a switch in parallel with the rotor tach sensor, what is the idea behind this?
Mike G

Rotor Tach Switch

Rotor Tach Switch

This is a microswitch mounted at the rotor brake arm on the head, that shorts out the Rotor Tach signal when the rotor brake is on. This is to help assure you don't go flying with the rotor brake on. When prerotating, you are first watching for 100 RRPM to let you know you can pull the stick full aft getting ready for takeoff roll. The next RRPM we use is 220 RPM - ready for full throttle, stick back takeoff.

So, if you are watching for these RRPMs and the rotor tach just shows 001, you know something is wrong. It normally takes about 1/2 nanosecond to realaize you still have left the rotor brake on.

This is my own design. The Magni normally comes with a switch on the rotor brake lever at the front seat - which lights a red light on the dash to let you know the rotor brake lever is on. This works also, but the red light is sometimes hard to see in the bright sunlight. And, myself and some others have accidentlally flown with the rotor brake activated. (This does not endanger flight, but it turns the paint on the rotor head drum a bit brown. Do much flying with the rotor brake on - over about 2 hours total, can ruin the brake pads and require replacement.)

The normally closed contacts on the micro switch are connected across the rotor tach pins. To do this, we remove the pins from the RT connector and solder in a short 1/8 phono connector to plug the microswitch in. See pics.

You don't need any of these if you religiously make sure the rotor brake is off when you start to prerotatoe - checklists please!

See pictures to see the microswitch installation at the rotor head.

- Greg

Attachments

• Rtr Brk Sw 2.jpg
    Rtr Brk Sw 2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Rtr Brk Sw 3.jpg
    Rtr Brk Sw 3.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1
  • RtrTachConn1.jpg
    RtrTachConn1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 0
  • RtrTachConn3.jpg
    RtrTachConn3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
  • RtrTachConn7.jpg
    RtrTachConn7.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 0
  • RtrTachConn2.jpg
    RtrTachConn2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1
  • RtrTachConn4.jpg
    RtrTachConn4.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0
  • RtrTachSw4.jpg
    RtrTachSw4.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 0
Greg
That's a good idea, I have just fitted the standard Magni rotor brake switch and agree that you can miss it on a sunny day (not a big problem in Normandy). The other problem you get flying with the rotor brake on is that the heat tends to reduce the bearing grease viscosity such that it flows down past the seal into the brake were it cooks and leaves a nasty black tarmacadum deposit, I know from experience.

Mike G

The other problem you get flying with the rotor brake on is that the heat tends to reduce the bearing grease viscosity such that it flows down past the seal into the brake were it cooks and leaves a nasty black tarmacadum deposit, I know from experience.

Mike G

As do quite a few of us Mike! I fitted a switch when I built my machine then used the feed to power a new gauge as a temporary measure. Then forgot to re do the brake light and.......you know the rest.

I think Magni expects it as he usually lobs a load of grease in the head above the bearing.

Brian
It's nice to know we're not alone in our errors.

Mike