Magni M16 Subaru

Duh,

If I only read further prior to my question, I would have noticed the answer. Jos Schepler is the builder of the modified Subaru engine for the early Magni M-16. Besides the external observations of modified EA-81 heads with dual exhaust ports and dual intake ports, what other internal modifications were performed on the engines?

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne, look at the dates on this thread ! I just checked out "all posts" by bpearson........they don't even go back to 2005

I wonder how it all been working out ?

Did I miss all the flying ? Gotta love an EA81 !

Last edited:
Apologies, missed it. No idea what was done internally other than taking as much weight off as possible. There are plenty Sheppers engines around working fine although he stopped using costly heads and carbs and bolted a turbo on. Having taken over two years to get the carb version through the painful uk system I don't think anyone bothered with the turbo!
Trying to solve a porous weld on mine which is proving a pain. Anyone have any ideas on cleaning oil off aluminium?

Yeh tried that and heat and everything else but the weld still is porous! Seems the oil is in the pores of the aluminium and contaminates the weld.

Hi Brian,

When I was looking over the pictures of your Scheper powered Magni M-16, I was curious about the EA-81 and the obvious modifications to the cylinder heads that caught my attention.

Wayne

They are Sub4 heads. Expensive but necessary to enable the engine to breathe. The cost of the turbo engine was much less for more performance.

Are you still flying her ? How many hours have you put on her ?

Could you take some closeup pics of the motor ? Thanks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330950891.112651.jpg
Haven't flown it for a fee years. Fell out of love with gyros. Getting it ready to fly again hopefully.

Hi Brian,

Better hurry and get that Magni flying again. I'm sure one flight back in the air and your passion for flying would be refreshed.

Wayne