Magni M14 down in Germany

Jay said,
+++++"How in the hell does Jim Vanek accomplish rolls and loops in a gyro?"+++

First ingredient.... 1000's hours of gyro pilot time.

2nd, a really stable high performance gyro

3rd, a understanding of the complete loop dynamics, and what your machine is going to do at every point along the way.

4th, a recovery(escape) plan. YES ,there is method to recover when things don't go right.

Now ,with that said, why would you ever want to do it? He wants to sell gyro's and this showcases that the limits of SportCopters are very high. I believe, he holds the only current FAA aerobatic authorization card issued for airshows for gyroplanes in the USA; but even that card has a written limitation on it stating no negative "G" maneuvers.

Not every loop he has done has been completed correctly, but he is still around. I fly the same gyro as Jim's, except mine is even more aerobatic without the enclosure, just not quite have the top speed as his. I know what needs to be done, and how to do it, but I don't need to prove anything. There is no upside to doing these things, I don't get commission for his gyro sales, and I don't have anything to prove regarding my piloting skills. I have gone straight nose up, and have gone straight nose down, which are the hardest part to learn, and understand what the rest of the loop takes to complete. I know how to get out of it when things go wrong. No I am not posting the methods/speeds necessary and other parameters here cause I don't want anyone trying it.

But the biggest clue to see how this is done is to take a close look at the picture.Notice the oil tank behind the pilot's head? Notice the oil is still in the bottom of the tank even though the gyro is upside down. The reason is he always keeps positive "g"s all the way through the loop. No big secret here., but easier said than done, so why risk your life? The only time most gyro pilots get to see the same "loop" view as Jim V does in a gyro is in the last seconds of their lives, so don't try to join the club!!! Just watch the SportCopter loop video and enjoy what a gyro is capable of doing in extreme conditions.

https://sportcopter.com/sportcopter-loop-dvd.php

Scott Heger,Laguna Niguel,Ca N86SH

Attachments

• loop3.jpg
    loop3.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I recon the ferel could be looped, but not by me, i dont recon id survive the alt needed to safly start one. :)

Birdy, since anything over 30 feet gives you nose bleeds, you probably should not try it. But,I think you have the right stuff (aircraft and skill)to pull a loop off. Another clue, it does take a lot of altitude to do "safely".

Scott Heger, Laguna Niguel,Ca N86SH

Like riding with my Dad.
I suppose you understand why I posted that video? It was intended as a sorta subtle clue, but Scott spelled it out plain.
I told myself to back away from this subject, but just one more thing I read someplace: "The most totaly exhilarating experience one can ever have in this life is to be shot at and missed! ... but is the rush worth the risk?"

Birdy, since anything over 30 feet gives you nose bleeds, you probably should not try it.
Scott, the reason iv never dun a loop is coz of a childhood incident wen i broke my back tryn to do backflips from a standing start. I could do um, till i stuffed up, now i crap meself if i fall backwards.
Besides, iv never seen a cow do one, so iv never needed to.

I know im as close to looping as i care to get wen i do a 360* diving turn at greater than 90* , but i tell meself im not looping, im just a bit upside down. :)

Birdy said,

"wen i broke my back tryn to do backflips from a standing start. I could do um, till i stuffed up, now i crap meself if i fall backwards."

So let me get the picture straight. did you "crash" because was it a lack of airspeed? groundspeed? or just those damn downwind turns?

I think some of your mates might think that you hit your head at the same time, but that part didn't hurt.

Scott Heger,Laguna Niguel,Ca N86SH

"wen i broke my back tryn to do backflips from a standing start
No gyro involved.

I think some of your mates might think that you hit your head at the same time, but that part didn't hurt.
Mate, if i know im go'n in, i make sure i hit head first, that way nuthn gets hurt. ;)