Well, OK, but that big body of water there looks a lot like Mobile Bay... ;)

Very nice!

Does anyone know if the Kanardia DAQU on a Rotax 914 calculates fuel flow? I'd like to put that on my Digi display like IM has on his 915.

Seems to be a good set up. Thanks for posting.

I used the MGL on my AR1 and Aviomania Single. Real nightmare to configure with the wasted time! Piece of dung IMHO! Kanardia looks great!

Very nice!

Does anyone know if the Kanardia DAQU on a Rotax 914 calculates fuel flow? I'd like to put that on my Digi display like IM has on his 915.

Thank you!
Fuel Flow data comes to DAQU or mini-DAQU from engine ECU of fuel injected (912iS & 915iS) engines only. For carburated engines fuel flow sensor(s) need to be installed.

Last edited:
IM - Was there a Transponder option with ADS-B in and out like the Garmin GTX-345 available?

I actually think Hobbs is a pretty well outdated term. "Totalizer", while not perfect, at least gives some idea of "total time".
Hobbs is just the name of some inventor who's been dead for 50+ years.

Last edited:
I actually think Hobbs is a pretty well outdated term. "Totalizer", while not perfect, at least gives some idea of "total time".

But everybody knows what Hobbs is, and at least one pilot did not now what "Totalizer" means. ;) So, Hobbs it is.
Total Time is not clear too - time of what? Total Engine On Time, or Total Airframe Flight Time?

Last edited:
I’ve just never heard of the term “Totalizer”, but seems this is highly customizable and only the owner needs to know.

Many years ago while working as a software engineer at Digital Equipment Corp in the R&D org we hired a consultant to develop some software. We did a design review of the software and found he used variable names with really foul laungage rather than a name that represented what the information it contained. It was funny to read the software, but it was job security for him since no one could figure out what it did with all the foul language variable names.

Takeaway is don’t hire nutty MIT grads who are consultants. 😀

Last edited:
But everybody knows what Hobbs is, and at least one pilot did not now what "Totalizer" means. ;) So, Hobbs it is.
Total Time is not clear too - time of what? Total Engine On Time, or Total Airframe Flight Time?
Except... when you say "Hobbs time", it's never clear if that's Power On, Engine On, or actual Flight Time either... it depends how you have it hooked up:
Hobbs meter is a genericized trademark for devices used in aviation to measure the time that an aircraft is in use. The meters typically display hours and tenths of an hour, but there are several ways in which the meter may be activated:
  1. It can measure the time that the electrical system is on. This maximizes the recorded time.
  2. It can be activated by oil pressure running into a pressure switch, and therefore runs while the engine is running. Many rental aircraft use this method to remove the incentive to fly with the master electrical switch off.
  3. It can be activated by another switch, either an airspeed sensing vane under a wing (as in the Cessna Caravan) or a pressure switch attached to the landing gear (as in many twin engine planes). In these cases, the meter only measures the time the aircraft is actually flying. Metrics such as Time In Service and Turbine Actual Runtime are kept to monitor overhaul cycles, and are usually used by commercial operators under Federal Aviation Regulations Parts 135, 121, or 125.
  4. It can be activated when the engine alternators are online (as in the Cirrus SR series).

Dave,
Many years ago I wrote a bunch of code on a DEC machine for a financial-services company in NYC... one of my last tasks for them was to add comments to every line of code I had written, then they cut me loose. They did keep me on payroll ("consullting") and paid my tuition while I did two years of business school, though, so I couldn't really complain too much. ☺️

Last edited:
there are several ways in which the meter may be activated

I know it was a brand name and I was under impression common use of it is to measure engine running time, activated either by engine RPM over set threshold or Oil Pressure. In my setting it show engine ON time.

Last edited:
Interesting... I have a Kanaria engine monitor too, and I thought my Totalizer showed "system on" not "engine on" time (not that I ever have power on with the engine off for very long).
What parameter does yours monitor for total time?

Last edited:
Interesting... I have a Kanaria engine monitor too, and I thought my Totalizer showed "system on" not "engine on" time (not that I ever have power on with the engine off for very long).
What parameter does yours monitor for total time?
My DIGI shows total "Engine ON" time. It could also be set to show total "Wheels OFF" time or total "Master ON" time.

Dave,
Many years ago I wrote a bunch of code on a DEC machine for a financial-services company in NYC... one of my last tasks for them was to add comments to every line of code I had written, then they cut me loose. They did keep me on payroll ("consullting") and paid my tuition while I did two years of business school, though, so I couldn't realliy complain too much. ☺️
You should have used foul language variables and not comment the code to stay employed!