Magni M-24 with 915iS Fuel Flow at 72mph TAS - 3.6 gal/hour.

Inquiring Mind

there are several ways in which the meter may be activated

I know it was a brand name and I was under impression common use of it is to measure engine running time, activated either by engine RPM over set threshold or Oil Pressure. In my setting it show engine ON time.

Last edited:

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Interesting... I have a Kanaria engine monitor too, and I thought my Totalizer showed "system on" not "engine on" time (not that I ever have power on with the engine off for very long).
What parameter does yours monitor for total time?

Last edited:

Inquiring Mind

Interesting... I have a Kanaria engine monitor too, and I thought my Totalizer showed "system on" not "engine on" time (not that I ever have power on with the engine off for very long).
What parameter does yours monitor for total time?
My DIGI shows total "Engine ON" time. It could also be set to show total "Wheels OFF" time or total "Master ON" time.

DavePA11

Dave,
Many years ago I wrote a bunch of code on a DEC machine for a financial-services company in NYC... one of my last tasks for them was to add comments to every line of code I had written, then they cut me loose. They did keep me on payroll ("consullting") and paid my tuition while I did two years of business school, though, so I couldn't realliy complain too much. ☺️
You should have used foul language variables and not comment the code to stay employed!

Inquiring Mind

You should have used foul language variables and not comment the code to stay employed!
Only if you have phenomenal memory.
Otherwise in couple years, when you are asked to make a change in your own code, you will not remember that variable you called "Tiny Long F*ing Dick" is actually a stack pointer, for example.

Inquiring Mind

OK, but my question was, what actual parameter is it using to decide the engine is ON.
I don't know. My guess - it is either Oil Pressure or Engine RPM. I'll try to fugure it out tonight.

That's the script for totalizer box, can-id for that variable is "engine-time":
<value>
<x>367</x>
<y>230</y>
<font>f-small</font>
<alignment>left</alignment>
<test-value>69</test-value>
<can-id>engine-time</can-id>
<type>totalizer</type>
<decimals>1</decimals>
<unit>h</unit>
</value>

DavePA11

Only if you have phenomenal memory.
Otherwise in couple years, when you are asked to make a change in your own code, you will not remember that variable you called "Tiny Long F*ing Dick" is actually a stack pointer, for example.
That was exactly the type of variable names he used too! made me laugh

Inquiring Mind

OK, but my question was, what actual parameter is it using to decide the engine is ON.
I don't think Kanardia DIGI or DAQU use any parameters to decide, they receive all the different times directly from ECU of the 912iS/915iS. ECU broadcast the data including Engine Total Time and Kanardia instruments just display that data in user selected units. How the ECU measures Engine Time, by Oil Pressure, RPM or generators voltage - I don't know.
BTW, the engine came from Rotax with 1 hour on Totalizer already. First time on that gyro Master was switched ON the Totalizer was at 1:02.

Last edited: