IM, but why are you landing on taxiway? Land on the runway... If something goes wrong and you take out taxi light or something else it just looks bad for gyros. IMO

IM, but why are you landing on taxiway? Land on the runway... If something goes wrong and you take out taxi light or something else it just looks bad for gyros. IMO
Helicopters at my home airport do airtaxi all the time, why is it a problem for gyro? Just curious, as normally I land on a runway. :)

Landing on grass on side of runway is okay at some airports. I doubt the airport manager at that airport would want you landing on a taxiway. It’s not meant to land on.

It’s okay for helicopters to air taxi on taxiway, but you don’t see them landing on the taxiway. I’ve seen airplanes air taxi to end of runway and don’t agree with that either since only takes a crosswind gust to cause big issues.

Go fly to other smaller airports if you want something more challenging. If something happens where you didn’t see an aircraft on the taxiway or airport service person on the taxiway and landed on them that wouldn’t be good. If FAA is there and sees you doing that it wouldn’t be good either.

Go fly down to 8MA4 or NH96 if you want different places to land.

There are enough issues with gyros so why create another one with gyros landing on taxiways?

Just my opinion....

Last edited:
You might worry if the FAA happens to be at the airport the next time you land outside of the pattern to the active runway... Gyros don't air taxi, and I would imagine that the helicopter pilots, if they're used to landing at bigger airports, will still approach the active runway then taxi to their landing pad or active runway for takeoff.

Do that w/o declaring an emergency here and the airport manager will bite you

Could you, please, provide the reference to regulations that specifically prohibit taxiway landing at uncontrolled airport? Thank you.
I suspect this is what the FAA would use as the regulation violated by using the taxiway as a runway at a non-towered airport.

§91.13 Careless or reckless operation.

(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

(b) Aircraft operations other than for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft, other than for the purpose of air navigation, on any part of the surface of an airport used by aircraft for air commerce (including areas used by those aircraft for receiving or discharging persons or cargo), in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

It is my observation that people tend to lump all gyroplane pilots together.

I was initially banned from the Santa Maria Public Airport (SMX) because of a fatal accident there where the drunken pilot had fallen out of his gyroplane. This of course had nothing to do with gyroplanes and when presented with the facts they backed off of their position.

Air Traffic Control used to give me clearance to land on the taxiway at SMX till an airline transport pilot complained that I was too close to him as I landed. Now I am prohibited from landing on the taxiway at SMX except during an air show.

If someone flying a gyroplane behaves badly it reflects badly on all gyroplane pilots.

I do my best to make friends for gyroplane pilots.

§91.13 Careless or reckless operation.

Vance, you do understand that there is nothing reckless in landing a rotorcraft on an empty taxiway at an uncontrolled airfield, right?

I was initially banned from the Santa Maria Public Airport (SMX) because of a fatal accident there where the drunken pilot had fallen out of his gyroplane.
Now I am prohibited from landing on the taxiway at SMX except during an air show.

How is it relevant to the discussion about safely landing on a taxiway at uncontrolled airfield?

If someone flying a gyroplane behaves badly it reflects badly on all gyroplane pilots. I do my best ...

You mean like CFI flying at airshow a gyro without airworthiness certificate and crashing it? Yeah, I red about it, but I don't think it reflects badly on all gyroplane pilot, rather just on the irresponsible CFI.

You might worry if the FAA happens to be at the airport the next time you land outside of the pattern to the active runway... Gyros don't air taxi, and I would imagine that the helicopter pilots, if they're used to landing at bigger airports, will still approach the active runway then taxi to their landing pad or active runway for takeoff.
In my helicopter I avoid the flow of fixed wing traffic (as required by the regs) by not going anywhere near the runway at most airports (the exception being when I've flown a heavily loaded wheeled helicopter and a rolling takeoff makes sense for performance reasons). For landing, if I don't go directly from pattern height to my parking spot (typical) I will shoot for a taxiway or sod divider, but I can perform a quickstop, hold in hover, sidestep from any speed and height, or even backup to avoid any conflict that might arise. Gyros can't do that, so I use taxiways far less often in a gyro.

For departure in a helicopter, I can often depart directly from parking without going near the runway (and towers usually permit it with something like, "approved as requested, caution, non-movement area, proceed at own risk" ). I talk directly to the tower, never tuning ground frequency (which they expect as normal practice because hover keeps both hands busy and changing freq might require setting down again.). If untowered, I just announce my intentions on CTAF. Once again, potential conflicts are much harder to avoid in a gyro, so I taxi to the runway for departure.

Last edited:
From AC 90-66B CHG 1
"In the case of a gyroplane approaching to land, the gyroplane pilot operating in the traffic pattern when landing on the runway may fly a pattern similar to the fixed-wing aircraft traffic pattern but at a lower altitude (500 feet AGL) and closer to the runway. This runway pattern may be on the opposite side of the runway from fixed-wing traffic only when airspeed requires it or for practice power-off landings and if local policy permits. Landings not on the runway must avoid the flow of fixed-wing traffic"

FAA recommends one to clear opposite traffic flow in a gyroplane (but not helicopter) and not landing on the runway with local airport manager etc. with good reason like you are too slow and so on. Otherwise we are expected to fly on the same side as airplanes but a lower and more inside pattern. Its better to play nice with others and before doing anything out of the ordinary, go and talk to airport manager etc. and make sure they understand and are in agreement with what you want to do.

From AC 90-66B CHG 1
"In the case of a gyroplane approaching to land, the gyroplane pilot operating in the traffic pattern when landing on the runway may fly a pattern similar to the fixed-wing aircraft traffic pattern but at a lower altitude (500 feet AGL) and closer to the runway. This runway pattern may be on the opposite side of the runway from fixed-wing traffic only when airspeed requires it or for practice power-off landings and if local policy permits. Landings not on the runway must avoid the flow of fixed-wing traffic"
Thanks, fara! :)

Funny thing a few years ago. I was flying my J2 Gyroplane in to McConnell AFB here in Wichita to put on static display prior to the start of an large airshow. I requested to land on the ramp, which of course was huge (see Google maps) and the tower paused a few minutes and then inquired just how much room I needed to land. Since it was a 20kt wind day, I responded that I needed about 20' from touchdown to full stop. Tower paused again for a few minutes and then came back and said "permission granted." In addition when I was ready to depart after the airshow, the tower requested I depart from a designated taxi way in order to allow the numerous fixed wing aircraft to use the runways. Worked for me. Two years later I flew my AirCommand 503 (partly enclosed) in to another airshow (same AFB) and had the exact same experience. Fun!!

And flying the 3 R44 Helicopters I've owned over the years, I have never landed, or been requested to land on a runway at an airport with an active control tower. Only once was I instructed to actually make my approach to a runway, but then told to air taxi and terminate my flight on the ramp at the location I requested upon first contact 10 miles out.

Additionally, flying my gyros at uncontrolled airports I use the runway, unless (1) I have previously made other arrangements with the airport manager in writing (FYI that one case was when I had a hangar that was almost a mile from the active runway and there was a seldom used taxiway next to my remote hangar) and (2) for flight safety reasons and clearly announce my intentions on the unicom frequency. For example, I had an occasion when I was returning from a 2 day XC flight back to my home airport and found that the forecast winds had switched to a 90 deg direct cross wind of 35mph from the West. To land safely, I announced (no one else was in the pattern or even on the frequency) that I was landing from East to West across the main N/S runway, possibly on an intersecting taxiway. As it turned out and as you might guess with such a strong West headwind, I was able to land on the N/S 100' wide runway, but from E/W and never actually used he taxiway. But it was there, just incase I misjudged my landing and or had a longer runout. Main points are to fly safe, fly legal, ask first for any deviations or special requests, cover your rear end, and leave a good professional impression on anyone observing your flight.

Last thing I worry about is what somebody might think about me or my actions. Never did and never will.
IM the comment was more about how it impacts the gyro community rather than what someone thinks of you or your actions. The other feedback in the replies were to provide additional insight to help you. Nothing more.

I would often call the airport managers in advance to determine if there was any grass areas along the paved runway or between runway and taxi ways so I didn't wear down my bush tires on my Husky. They would often state its fine to land on the grass in certain spots along the runway or in some cases it was strictly prohibited.

I have also found here in Colorado some of the airports have video cameras running, and look for planes landing off the paved runways. They have followed up with contacting the pilots to notify them its not acceptable to land off the runway. So again this is just heads up to help.

It appears the first airport in your video is Laconia in NH (KLCI), and the second is Skyhaven in NH (DAW) from what I recall flying out there to those airports. Laconia can be extremely busy in the summer. I encourage you to give the airport manager a call and find out what their policy is for landing on taxiways with the gyrocopter. There are other airports with video cameras setup in MA, but not sure about airports in NH.

Another point assuming you are landing into the wind on the taxiway, once you land you will now be taxing against normal traffic taxiing to depart. Also, wouldn't want a fixed wing plane to follow you on final and land on the taxiway too.

Outside of having fun landing on the taxiway, why do it? There are a bunch of smaller airports to land around NE to practice your skills landing in narrow spots. Heck, you can even land at quarries and farm fields if you feel really adventurous!

I do enjoy watching your videos so thanks for posting. Only trying to help whether you want it or not! :)

Last edited:
It appears the first airport in your video is Laconia in NH (KLCI), and the second is Skyhaven in NH (DAW)

You have a good eye and memory. :)

Another point assuming you are landing into the wind on the taxiway, once you land you will now be taxing against normal traffic taxiing to depart.
Both landings on the videos were the last ones for the day, so made to shorten the taxiing to the hangars.

Also, wouldn't want a fixed wing plane to follow you on final and land on the taxiway too.
Nobody was on the pattern or approach both time the landings were done.
I do enjoy watching your videos so thanks for posting. Only trying to help whether you want it or not! :)
Thank you, Dave! :)

IM - check out Alton Bay - that would be fun trip for Gyro. It can get very busy so make sure your on the radio.

Actually, I'd have to think about how the gyro will handle landing on ice before rotors spin down. Anyone have any opinions on landing on ice runway with gryo?

Humm, thinking about it more my Sportcopter front wheel would skip a bit to the right on spin up on pavement so maybe might be worse on ice... Thoughts anyone? Maybe not go to Alton Bay ice runway.

I landed my Cub there once and the wind was so gusty it spun me around 180 degrees while taxiing to parking... Make sure you bring engine cover since it gets cold out with the wind on the lake.

Even small snow piles will not move. Like concrete curbs... So don't go off the side of the runway.

1613179174406.png

1613179789432.png

1613179824090.png

1613179893792.png

Last edited:
From AC 90-66B CHG 1

Where else can one land if not on the runway? How do others interpret that last sentence of the quoted AC? Does it imply that depending on traffic, one can land on the taxiway perhaps?