Magni Gyro around San Francisco in 4K

rcsilvmac

Captured a beautiful day for flying the M-16 around San Francisco. This was filmed mostly with a Insta360 X2 on a pole wedged under my leg and sticking out to the side. I did capture some extra footage with a GoPro Hero 8 that I hand held. I learned that the Insta360 is very sensitive to SD card speed so the camera kept shutting off during recording. I closely monitored the camera and kept resetting it after a short record period. I now have a faster SD card and the camera will record continuously. The hardest part of putting this together was learning the video editing software. I used Cyberlink PowerDirector 16. There is a 30 day trial version that is fully featured but puts a watermark on the video and is limited to 1080P resolution. Once I got comfortable with the software and my output with those restrictions, I purchased the full version to use going forward. The file sizes are very large for the Insta360 captures so make sure you have plenty of space and fast storage system to make it easier to work with.

Blackmagic Design's DaVinci Resolve 17 is free and one of the most powerful editors available. Steep learning curve, but worth it.

Consider using filters (in post production) to flatten out your video when using the Hero.

YouTube reduces video to 480p, so for most of your editing, you won't need 4K unless you are cropping in tight.

Good video, good narration. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for tip. I was using Davinci before and while the color grading is much better than Cyberlink I just couldn’t understand the Byzantine way Davinci worked, and then an update would come out and change everything. PowerDirector was more intuitive for me and my time is very limited, so here I am. Congrats to you if you have mastered Resolve!

I started in Final Cut Pro and have remained there. It's a bit on the expensive side when you compare it to DaVinci, but it is what I learned to use and I'm sticking with it! Like you, Found Davinci a bit daunting in the layout.

awesome video. I would be nervous flying over all that water with no where to set down, but some nice scenery for sure

awesome video. I would be nervous flying over all that water with no where to set down, but some nice scenery for sure
I always wore one of those Switlik constant -wear life vests when flying around SF Bay. I even have some for passengers, too, although they will get less use now that I live in the Rockies.

Captured a beautiful day for flying the M-16 around San Francisco. This was filmed mostly with a Insta360 X2 on a pole wedged under my leg and sticking out to the side. I did capture some extra footage with a GoPro Hero 8 that I hand held. I learned that the Insta360 is very sensitive to SD card speed so the camera kept shutting off during recording. I closely monitored the camera and kept resetting it after a short record period. I now have a faster SD card and the camera will record continuously. The hardest part of putting this together was learning the video editing software. I used Cyberlink PowerDirector 16. There is a 30 day trial version that is fully featured but puts a watermark on the video and is limited to 1080P resolution. Once I got comfortable with the software and my output with those restrictions, I purchased the full version to use going forward. The file sizes are very large for the Insta360 captures so make sure you have plenty of space and fast storage system to make it easier to work with.
When you use Cyberlink, are you doing the basic edit first using the Insta software and then importing into Cyberlink? I use the Insta 3601R and have not been able to import directly into Final Cut without losing the image stabilization, which appears to be done in software rather than in camera like the GoPro.
Nice video.

What.. It is better to upload a video in 4K.
Matter of opinion. You can spend hours waiting on the 4K to upload, then see YouTube reduce the output to 480p, or you can simply upload in the YouTube format and save a lot of upload time.

Matter of opinion. You can spend hours waiting on the 4K to upload, then see YouTube reduce the output to 480p, or you can simply upload in the YouTube format and save a lot of upload time.
There must be a misunderstanding here.

Youtube doesn't reduce the output to 480p. I watch plenty of video 4k videos on youtube.

Depending on your circumstances, it might be better recording in 1080p. Storage/bandwidth/computer & camera equipment ect.

When you use Cyberlink, are you doing the basic edit first using the Insta software and then importing into Cyberlink? I use the Insta 3601R and have not been able to import directly into Final Cut without losing the image stabilization, which appears to be done in software rather than in camera like the GoPro.
Nice video.
Yes, i used Insta Studio to frame the shots, then exported as MP4. From there I used Cyberlink to combine clips, add transitions, manage audio, etc.

There must be a misunderstanding here.

Youtube doesn't reduce the output to 480p. I watch plenty of video 4k videos on youtube.

Depending on your circumstances, it might be better recording in 1080p. Storage/bandwidth/computer & camera equipment ect.
I upload to YouTube at the highest resolution I can. It can take a day or two for YT to process into HD options. You can force YT to show you highest resolution through the quality setting, although it may stutter depending on your bandwidth.