Magni and RAF comparison

Well Birdy nothing like an AK. Since you perform what some of us think of as arial ballet, or dancing in the air, Baryshnikov came to mind. As I said, ignoring the fact that he wore tights, liked guys and wouldn't have been seen dead around angry bulls, he was world class at what he did.

Thanks for posting that clip of the Newo, guess it past your handling requirements which must make it a pretty smooth and nimble flying machine. Dig those wheel pant fins.

In terms of handling, haven't even scratched the surface on autoyros yet so can only relate to F/W. Flown both Pitt's and 150 Aerobat which are as alike as chalk and cheese but I guess if one can't get a Pitts make do with the 150. Have had fun flying a Dak to the limits (without pax)

Lot of machines out there so having a good squiz round listening and discussing with folks who know about the various machines then flog my little plot of land and buy a gyro, assuming the market hasn't completely collapsed by that time. Looking pretty crook right now.

Leigh, a few of us are going over to Italy to fly the new enclosed Magni prototype, hopefully at the end of the month. It will certainly be expensive. Lets hope it won't be the deathtrap that many people on here predict by looking at the photos !

Don't think about flying one legally in the UK in the near future though. Those people charged with protecting you from yourself will see to that.

I still dont know wot a Baryshnikov is ???

Brian, was the Magni chuckaround video of Tony Unwin the one you had in mind? I think I may have it on VHS.
Yeh Brian, im itchn to see this.

Baryshnikov = dancer(male)
Hmmmmmm, concidern that 'dancen' is sumthn iv never dun, i spose i cant argue with ya ay. ;)

mmmmmm......... and after watchn that flic of the fairy [ your sure its got knackers?], im not sure i agree with your humer either. :(
But you gota hand it to him/her, he/she has good balance. :)
Thats not the vid i thought you was talkn bout Brian.

Tony was the pilot Fergus yes. I think it was down at Kemble when a load of amatuer filmakers were down. Is yours Kilmarsdon, with Chris Julian ? Don't think that will impress Birdy much from what I can remember. It was in his pink machine.

Birdy guess my humour is a little off-beat, sometimes 180 degrees out of phase. Did tell you he was a poo*ter in tight strides but assure you that he was a legend in his field, and, about as far from my picture of you as I can imagine. Guess I subconciously linked graceful flight, aerial ballet and came up with him, no offence intended I assure you.:)

Sounds like the vid might not be transpiring soon though it would be interesting to see it if it can be found. I give my friends who ask me about gyros the youtube ref for Birdy and Feral to give them an idea of just what is possible but then have to assure them that not all autogyros are that nimble and few autogyro pilots that capable.

Brian I had seen a picture of the upcoming enclosed Magni prototype and will be most interested in your groups evaluation. Given Vittorio's passion for safety, his obvious knowledge and track record, it seems unlikely that it will be a death trap. One hopes that he would incorporate a slightly lighter feel, if majority of opinion is correct on his emphasis for stability, but I suppose as a manufacturer he will always be erring on the side of caution in this increasingly regulated, politicaly correct and litigious world we live in. Since I also hope to be flying in the US and Kenya I can at least be spared some of the CAA's zeal for some of the time. Would be nice to have a good looking enclosed gyro though as you have pointed out that doesn't come cheap.

:rolleyes: Orrrrr, i recon iv got it now.
Baryshnikov is this........ mm, persons name.

Yeh, id realy like to see this vid of a bloke thrown a magni around. Id like to know how he dose it.

:rolleyes: Orrrrr, i recon iv got it now.
Baryshnikov is this........ mm, persons name.

Yeh, id realy like to see this vid of a bloke thrown a magni around. Id like to know how he dose it.

Well, I got a bad feeling you're going to be badly disappointed BUT history might be made yet.

I think something thats been lost in this story is that Birdy is NOT being dis respectful to the fellow who made the Magni. The way I see it is that the Magni were made not to be a handful in any circumstance, therefore stopping a hard handed pilot from doing damage. This in turn, could be why Birdy describes the magni as being a heavy mouthed creature, because thats exactly what it is!!

I guess Vittorio designed it as you say deliberately stable. Fighter planes are designed to be unstable in order that they can be flung around and agile so I guess it follows that static stability of neccessity will be heavy on the stick.

Resasi

Birdy knows why the Magni is so heavy handed. He has taken both of the H/S off his because it felt stiff in the handling. That big ol Horizontal Stabilizer tames the oscillations everytime and makes them easier for newbies to fly.

I guess Vittorio designed it as you say deliberately stable.
Like Tim says Leigh, thered be other machine's as stable, if not more so,[ COZ of a CLT] than a magni without be'n so heavy on the stick.
my wasa, wen it was a stock RAF, was nearly as heavy as the magni on the stick, but as we all know, its was far from stable.
Now its more closer to stable, but also much lighter on the stick.
For a SCG's oppinion, i recon its way too heavy on the stick, coz if your tryn to land it in a tight spot in very rough air, you havnt got the cyclic leaverage to steer the friggn thing.

That big ol Horizontal Stabilizer tames the oscillations everytime and makes them easier for newbies to fly.
you can still have that dunny door HS Thom [ you need it for the TL offset], but it dont need to be so hard mouthed.

If one were looking for a light, powerfull, stable but agile single seat kit what would spring to mind?

I do understand that personal preferences and experience influence the decision but would be interested to hear what examples would be nominated and by whom.

Best air show routine I have ever seen – spectacular
Dave, mate, dont be selfish.
[I recon your all full of sh1t, coz if it was this good, i recon everyone woulda seen it by now. ;)]

If one were looking for a light, powerfull, stable but agile single seat kit what would spring to mind?
Not be'n bias, but anythn like the ferel is hard to beet. :)
Again, if there is one, id like to see it.

Best air show routine I have ever seen – spectacular
Dave, mate, dont be selfish.
[I recon your all full of sh1t, coz if it was this good, i recon everyone woulda seen it by now. ;)]

Perhaps I should have said best air show routine I have seen in the UK – Tony has done a few, demonstrated at Cranfield PFA Rally one year as well. The late Chris Julian also gave a spirited display in a Mac powered Bensen. At the time we had a couple of RAF2000’s & VPM’s in the UK the rest were Crickets, Merlins or Bensens

It must have been back in 1995 / 6, there were a lot of would be pilots there at the time, me included. Today, Kilmersden often comes up in conversation & it’s interesting to talk to pilots I now know that were also present on the day.

I think Dave Organ had it on video & sold some copies, I would be great to see it again on You Tube.