Made a few new parts over the last few days

Last edited:
gyroman said:
Scott,

I'm curious about the home powder coat finish you put on the throttle quadrant. How durable is it? Do you have to bake it on? I saw something about home powder coating in my last Harbor Freight flyer, is this the system you used?

I ask because I have had my gyro taken apart and stored for a while and now my paint job sucks and chips easily( long story). I just assembled it all and I know I need to redo the paint job. Just looking for something better.

Thanks
An old biker freind i knew powder coated parts with one of those units from harbor freight, it worked out ok, but the key is bakeing it at the right temp.
he used an old house oven. after some practice he got pretty good at it.
I had bought a Pizza oven to try with, but then found out later what I thought where just selfs in the way turned out to be the heating units. so since i could not put things the size i wanted to in it I just sold it.
one guy i knew did really small parts in a toaster over.

Hope this helps ya some.

Tim H.

Sweeeeet!!

Sweeeeet!!

That quadrant and gyro look great!! The only thing that I would change is the exhaust spring setup.(broken props etc..) C.P.S. sells a kit that holds the exhaust together with the use of plates. I got a set and the look and work GREAT,with no chance of breaking and going through a prop in flight.They sell for around $30.00 a set and they're CHEAP insurance :)

Last edited:
If he puts safety wire through the springs he shouldn't have to worry about that should he?

Thanks Dale, in case you didn't notice this is an old thread, and the "under construction gyro met with an untimely demise in a taxi accident. The nose wheel pivot broke causing the gyro to cartwheel and pretty much destroy itself.
I still have the engine and it is unhurt, sorry I can't say the same about the prop,tail, airframe!
I am currently flying a Soma gyro with a Hirth engine, But the Suzuki is still on the back burner, possibly for the soma in the future.
soma thread:
http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3568

Ouch !

Ouch !

It was THAT gyro? Man!, Sorry about that! I did'nt notice the date on the post.duh! Hope all is better now!

Tim, That's a good idea! I've heard of people putting silicone on them also, to keep the parts ,if they do break,all together. Butyou may not notice a broke spring due to the safety wire holding them together. The plates are a definate solution to the problem.Besides the obvious benefits, they look good ,are cheap ,and you'll never have to worry again! :)

I agree Dale, I have the spring safty wired , but the clamp looks like a much more secure mount.

And YES, things are better now!