Mac engine spark plugs

GK2

Please tell me the available types of over the counter spark plugs that can be used for the Mac engine, 72 hp. Spark plugs I can get from the autoparts store. Thank you.

Most of the auto parts store do not stock them any more. The only one local is an "Advanced Auto", and they have to order them.
Champion D4 (504)
I normally get about 6-8 hours of good run time.
When the starting gets a little harder it is time to change, all of them.
It is unnerving to be out and have one stop firing. I lost two at one time on a flight to check my cattle about 12 miles from the airport. I was about 3 miles out and lost two, it was a slow steady decent at full throttle position. I made the end of the runway with about 50 feet to spare. I do not temp the Mac Attack Demons anymore.

Attachments

• B7M a.jpg
    B7M a.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Most of the auto parts store do not stock them any more. The only one local is an "Advanced Auto", and they have to order them.
Champion D4 (504)
I normally get about 6-8 hours of good run time.
When the starting gets a little harder it is time to change, all of them.
It is unnerving to be out and have one stop firing. I lost two at one time on a flight to check my cattle about 12 miles from the airport. I was about 3 miles out and lost two, it was a slow steady decent at full throttle position. I made the end of the runway with about 50 feet to spare. I do not temp the Mac Attack Demons anymore.

Dave, I have many hours on my Mac. I've never changed a plug, Have about 25+ this summer with no problems. I just clean them every spring.

Does your Mac start easy?
What oil Mix do you use?
What oil type doe you use?

Brent:
I have the CDI from Rick Whittridge, and yes it starts easy.
16oz/5gal
Blue Marbles

Even when I was using petro based oil, the plugs did not last too long. Rick commented that he gets less that 10 hours on a set. I know when the cold start is more that 4 or 5 pulls of the prop, it is getting close to time to change the plugs.

I was told the NGK1210 A-8 could be used in the Mac but I have not found those new locally yet.

I run Amsoil Synthetic smokeless.
10oz to 5 gal. I think that is about 65-1 ratio.
The originals would run them 100-1 oil.
I do run the original magneto.
Always starts on first or second flip.

I have to agree, if you use champion auto plugs after about 10 hours it will get hard to start. I have been using Champion REM 38s-a aircraft plugs for over 100 hours and never had a problem.

Last edited:
I have been using Champion 509 or D9
Blue Marble 14oz - 5 gal
Rick's CDI
Hit the switch...starts right up...

Last edited:
I am trusting to memory here, but I believe I used to run Motorcraft B3X plugs in my 90 MAC. Never had any problems in 10 years. The B3X had to be ordered, but they are a 2 stroke plug. I think Prater and Parsons recommended them back then.

Champion D9J also rings a bell.