Mac engine info!!

mransleben

Aircraft
Bensen
Total Flight Time
3000 hours fixed wing and helo
I have a Mac 72 model number 4318-A I had a Mac attack Sept 3rd, lost number 2 piston and cyl. I have acquired another engine for parts, 4318-G model number. I have found the pistons and rings are different between them. The A model has wider rings that are positioned lower on the piston that the G model piston, on the G model the rings are thinner and positioned closer to the piston top. ( more like in used to seeing in automotive engines). Now the question is will the G model piston and jug work to replace the one I lost on my A model engine, if so will that cyl perform as well as the other three or will it cause an imbalance in the engine. I,m a master ford tech for 42 years but I have never worked on a Mac engine and I know very little about them. I have tried to contact a person who is suppose to be a Mac Guru but cant get a call back. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!!!! If you want to call me or email response's 979-229-7034 [email protected]

Rick Whittridge

Gold Member
Aircraft
Bensen B8-M / Twinstarr
Mac Info

Mac Info

The A model is 72 HP The G model is 90 HP You can`t interchange one 90 HP cly & piston onto a 72 HP with out doing all the cyl`s (port timing is different) If all the 90 HP cly`s are good shape then use them all on your crankcase. Increase carb jet for more fuel & set timing at .100 BTDC

Gyro28866

David McCutchen
Aircraft
Benson B7m & B8m, Dominator II; Kolb Mark III Classic
Total Flight Time
750 combined FW & Gyro
Question #1:
What caused it to melt #2?
A leaned air fuel mixture?
The #2 jug is the most common one for a lean mixture. I would be looking for the cause of the lean mixture. crankcase end seals, cylinder base gasket, carburetor base gasket, etc.
or did you change the prop to a less pitched one and the increase rpm cause the lean.
Just thinking outloud here; but I would definitely diagnose the cause.
or IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN!!!
pay attention to the wrist pin when you reinstall. The capped end always faces the exhaust port.

Mark Spies

Aircraft
1979 Bensen B8M 90HP Mac TFG E81
Total Flight Time
200+
Mike,

Which way did you have the cooling cans on ? I have see them on backwards ( opening to the front not back and cause this.