MAC CDI (need help and support) VERY important if u own one!

David Martin

Gyro Expert
This is somewhat a long story but I have a CDI ignition for my MAC. When we switched to the CDI it started worse, and would miss occasionally while running. Upon taking apart the magneto housing to find problem, I found a smashed wire from when it was converted. There was one single stand of copper out of the 15 or so that wasn't broken. Since the insulation was also broken it looked as though that single copper strand was grounding on the aluminiu case causing the ignition to cease just as the original point/condensor units do via the toggle/kill switch. It never started better than the old point/condensor ignition and I'm pretty sure the crushed wire was the culprit.

My Dad put the old ignition back on until we could get the CDI repaired. This is where I need some assistance as I can't find the special (overpriced) CDI toggle/kill switch

I need to know what is so special about the CDI toggle switch? I'm assuming the resistance is vastly different as Rick claims a standard switch will burn up the module.

If you can, please check the resistance of the special CDI kill switch (with a mulitimeter and check both the on and off resistance) and relay the results to me via this thread. I also need to know what to set timing to with Ricks special dial indicator tool.
I'll attempt to break the secret as to why the special CDI toggle switch is worth $14. I bet a standard switch would work as long as a resister is attached to keep resistance within limits.I can probably get the resistor for 10 cents and use a normal two position switch and save about $12...

Rick has said he isn't making these kits anymore so if anyone needs their existing units fixed my 30+ years of electronics repairs and training should be able to get you back and running.

I have found the coils and CDI module that are used in the kits as well if your in need of those. Rick feel free to chime in if you have decided to keep the kits/parts available as I'm not trying to steal business from you. I'm sure I feel as many others do in that i paid a crap ton for the ignition system, and I would like to have access to parts.

I could also convert the old style units to CDI but I have simplified a few things and made some changes to improve reliability. I would first have to do extensive testing on the prototype unit that perhaps I MAY offer for sale if Rick is indeed done making his units.

dabkb2

Dave Bacon
Aircraft
2 KB2 90Mac KB3 582
Total Flight Time
289 hours
I do not know anything about the special switch, I used the one Rick sent and it works fine.

You set the timing to 120 thousandths BTC through the sparkplug hole.

Rick Whittridge

Gold Member
Aircraft
Bensen B8-M / Twinstarr
Secret Switch

Secret Switch

8.00 Switch (my cost)
6.00 shipping
14.00 is a deal!

Good luck with your new venture ? Bad mouthing me on here will get you no where with me. Members BEWARE!

Wiplash

Todd Noble
Aircraft
Air Command 582 LowRider w/stab
Total Flight Time
Gyro - 101 as of 7-10-16
8.00 Switch (my cost)
6.00 shipping
14.00 is a deal!

Good luck with your new venture ? Bad mouthing me on here will get you no where with me. Members BEWARE!
Show us where he bad mouthed you?

In fact he stated that if you were still making or servicing them he wouldn't.

I'm one of those who "paid a crap ton of money" for one of your ignitions. I'm not complaining about the price I paid, I'm just say'in. It's nice to know that there might be someone willing/able to service it if needed.

David Martin

Gyro Expert
Not bad mouthing you Rick. Just trying to find the switch as my Dad passed away and I'm uncertain if the switch i found in the hangar is the proper CDI one. My Dad was a ASE certified HVY duty Master mechanic for 40+ years and as you can imagine there is probably 20 or so toggle switches in his stock pile...

gyrojake

Gyro Rehab Candidate
Aircraft
Gyroplanes
Total Flight Time
A few hours
I used one of Ricks C.D.I's for years trouble free.
Started second try every time and never let me down.
I paid $400 bucks for mine and never thought that was over priced for the quality of the unit.
I just used a SPDT switch to ground.

Attachments

Gyro28866

David McCutchen
Aircraft
Benson B7m & B8m, Dominator II; Kolb Mark III Classic
Total Flight Time
750 combined FW & Gyro
Hello David:
I need to know what is so special about the CDI toggle switch? I'm assuming the resistance is vastly different as Rick claims a standard switch will burn up the module.
The resistance is the same - Infinity; it is a dead short!!!
Ricks statement to you is 100% correct! A "standard switch" will damage the module.
A "standard switch" being a SPST (single pole single throw) switch. If you were to connect both yellow wires to one side of the switch, then you have shunted/shorted the two yellow wires to each other.
As Jake mentioned; a SPDT (single pole double throw) switch will isolate the two (yellow wire) sides from each other.
Here is a pic of the wire diagram for Ricks CDI
In Ricks documentation on page #2
Item #12:
Next, wire the coils and kill switch per illustration, making sure that all connections are soldered. NOTE: yellow kill leads must be kept separate! Jumper on switch will ground both coils simultaneously

Don't use a cheaply made Chinese high production mickey mouse switch; because when you are in the air. Your Butt is riding on it - LITERALLY!!!
$8 Bucks is a really fair price!!!

I wrote this wrong, it should be a DPST (Double Pole Single Throw) switch.
My bad.

Attachments

Last edited:

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
Forgive me for not understanding the purpose of this thread, is this just technical musings for the electrically literate?
Or are you seriously trying to save $14.00?
I mean its not a part that you have to replace every flight is it?
I guess I just dont get "it"

"You were not put on this earth to get IT Mr. Burton!"