Lots of fun at AirVenture and the PRA Convention.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
I just returned from the Air Venture and the PRA convention experience.

It was two weeks of immersion in aviation and five days of driving 5,152 miles in an Avis Prius that averaged fifty miles to the gallon.

Air Venture is simply overwhelming.

I was able to hear Dick Rutan’s story of flying the Voyager around the world without stopping for gas.

He is a great story teller and it is a great story.

I heard a great talk by Jerimiah D Jackson about his record setting cross country flight in his RV. Jerimiah was the second client I signed off for his check ride in a gyroplane.

There were lots of things to see and do and old friends to see and new friends to make.

After walking a lot of miles I left for the PRA convention at their airport in Mentone, Indiana.

Michael Burton did a great job of a flight review for me at the Fulton County Airport. I will be changing the way I teach S turns over a road making it less of a performance
maneuver and more of a ground reference maneuver. I love to learn.

At the PRA convention there was a lot of gyroplane flying going on and the hangar was full at night.

I saw Dick DeGraw’s new jump takeoff gyroplane and saw it jump and fly. It is remarkably quiet and a beautifully crafted machine.

I saw Denis Shoemaker's beautiful gyroplane, it is kinetic art and he is selling kits now under the name Gyro Technic. He is doing a great job addressing the lower end of the gyroplane market building very beautiful machines that appear for fly very well.

I was honored to be in charge of the judging and saw a lot of beautiful machines and met their owners.
Jeff Tipton and David McCutchen helped and taught me a lot.

I saw a lot of interesting gyroplanes and met many interesting people.

The fireworks Friday night after the banquet were spectacular.

The airport looks great and I am proud to be a small part of it.

Interest in gyroplanes appears to me to be expanding.

Attachments

WHUBBS

Aircraft
Magni M-22 Voyager
Total Flight Time
1522 fw / 1020 gyro
Vance, was sure good to see you again, the boys from Tennessee and Kentucky enjoyed talking with you. Thank the Lord he give me good weather for my round trip of 800 mi.,and for an added bonus he also give me a little push with a moderate tail wind.

Last edited:

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
I enjoyed you and your friends a lot.

Glad the weather worked for you and congratulations on winning best two place.

There was some tough competition this year.

eutrophicated1

Designated Acronym-Nazi
After clicking through hundreds of pictures, with thousands of people in them, I enjoyed viewing all the aircraft, of all types, varieties and descriptions, it slowly dawned on me. Not one black person in any one of them, including all the crowd shots. What does that mean?

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
eutrophicated1;n1123067 said:
After clicking through hundreds of pictures, with thousands of people in them, I enjoyed viewing all the aircraft, of all types, varieties and descriptions, it slowly dawned on me. Not one black person in any one of them, including all the crowd shots. What does that mean?
Where are all these pics at ?

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft

I suspect it doesn’t mean a thing Frank.

Why do you ask?

Gyro28866

David McCutchen
Aircraft
Benson B7m & B8m, Dominator II; Kolb Mark III Classic
Total Flight Time
750 combined FW & Gyro
Hello Frank:
The percentage of Pilots in the USA is a really small number. Within that number, I have only met a very few of African descent. I personally know a couple, they are very humble men that will give you the shirts off their backs; very kind and generous. One is a Glider Pilot in Eagleville and the other is prior Army and fly's Helicopters offshore in the Gulf. I am honored to call them both a Friend.
However, it has been my general observation also; there are very few aviation minded persons within the African descent community. Those which I have met, are of higher education backgrounds.
That being stated; the Gyro attracts a very small number of spectators. Even though, if a Gyro fly's into a fixed winged event; we steal the show!!!
I did see an older black Man at the Mentone event. I did speak briefly with him and welcomed him to the event and Thanked him for coming out.
Personally, I have seen very few at any aviation event, and even fewer at a gyro event.

Last edited:

eutrophicated1

Designated Acronym-Nazi
Just figured with all the rememberances and displays of gratitude for various military individuals and groups, like the 100 bomb group, that there might be something for the Tuskegee Airmen. Don't know. I ask because I know some black professionals who fly, I thought there would be something, one thing. These pics came directly off the EAA Airventure website.

eutrophicated1

Designated Acronym-Nazi
Found a pic of one of the Tuskegee P51's. So far I've gotten 3 separate links to large groups of pics, none of which are the ones by Pam somebody that I found yesterday:
Here's one link that I started with today:
https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/03-16-2017-aircraft-highlights-at-airventure-oshkosh-2017

Many More aircraft Pics:
https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/features-and-attractions/aircraft-areas

Yet more pics:
https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/airventure-photos

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
I don’t know about elsewhere in the aviation world so I will just comment on my friends.

Most don’t pay any attention to the color of a person’s skin.

They are judgmental about how well someone performs their role in aviation and admire people who do it well and condemn those who are haphazard about things aviation.

Skin color is not part of the analysis.

eutrophicated1

Designated Acronym-Nazi
JEFF TIPTON;n1123085 said:
eutrophicated1

Would this be the site you are looking for?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/165366617546106810/
Thanks for the link, Jeff. No that link isn't what I was trying to resurrect. It was only a chance thing, as I was clicking through hundreds of pics posted on the AirVenture website, that I noticed a significant segment missing from the crowd participation.

In a previous reply to my question,
"However, it has been my general observation also; there are very few aviation minded persons within the African descent community."
Probably Dave hit the nail on the head. Just no interest there.

Frank

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
A very tall African-descent ( A-D) chappie in cowboy boots ... sat in the Titanium at Airventure ...and RAVED about ....the roominess
"FINALLY - a gyro that I can fit into comfortably!
He showed up at Mentone (I suspect hoping for a flight) ... but I think it was on the horrible windy cold Friday ... when we had just changed to the Eprop & were busy getting the pitch right ...and only a couple of hightime CFI's were flying anyway!

Of course in Chapter 62 we have our good friends Chauncy & Norma Surrey ... who are the rare exception of their A-D community ...and fully participate in building,flying,ground support, gyro activities at the Anahuac club!

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
There are few minorities in light aviation even compared to the percentage of their population. But there are. I am one. Not African American though. However, I did meet a gyroplane CFI from Maryland at Oshkosh who is African American. He holds and aeronautical engineering degree as well. We talked for a bit. I know a few African American pilots. Some are excellent professionals. I have never thought about skin color of different pilots or aviation people I meet actually come to think of it. I definitely notice there are far fewer females which sucks as well.

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
CLS447;n1123068 said:
Where are all these pics at ?

I am still looking for "hundreds of pictures with thousands of people" ????

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
GyrOZprey;n1123200 said:
He showed up at Mentone (I suspect hoping for a flight) ... but I think it was on the horrible windy cold Friday ... when we had just changed to the Eprop & were busy getting the pitch right ...and only a couple of hightime CFI's were flying anyway!
Nobody else mentioned THAT kind of weather !!

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
It means that you are a racist for discriminating based on skin color.
What difference does skin color make to gyroplane discussions???
Are you suggesting that throwing in a token black/brown/yellow/blue/green person into a picture somehow makes us/aviation better?
Are you suggesting that WE are racists just because there is not a black/brown/yellow/blue/green person is not in the picture?
Aviation does not discriminate (unlike you) against people by their skin color. I dare you to prove otherwise.
Brian

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
CLS447;n1123223 said:
I am still looking for "hundreds of pictures with thousands of people" ????
You don't have to look very hard to find lots of pictures of AirVenture Chris.

There are fewer pictures of The PRA Convention at Mentone because there were fewer people there.

It appears some of the prolific picture takers weren't there this year.

I was busy giving a talk, getting a flight review and judging aircraft.

I took the first at Fulton County Airport Monday, two gyroplanes had just arrived.

The second and third are the first pilots briefing of the event.

Attachments

Last edited: