Lost a Friend and Gyro Advocate in GA

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
Back in 2007 I moved from the Washington, DC area to West Georgia. I found a hanger and a home at West Georgia REgional Airport that year, November was the local EAA chapter annual meeting and dinner. 150 people showed up, I wandered in after having been given a ride in a Cessna by a guy named Richard Haney.

We hit it off, and as president of the chapter I suspect STRONGLY that he saw to it that I was recipient of the biggest door prize of the evening, a signed copy of a limited edition framed lithograph painting of an early 1900's airmail painting, retail of $450.00.

He introduced me by saying, "Greg is a gyrocopeter aviator, and we REALLY need a gyrocopter guy in this club!"

One of his hangars was next to mine for the past several years, and we partied and traded small talk often.

I got a forward mail EAA chapter 976 newsletter this week.

Richard was flying with his 9-year-old grandson about 15 minutes away from CTJ, Carrolton, West Georgia Regional Airport, July 13 in his Steen Skybolt aerobatic biplane, when witnesses said the low-flying biplane suddenly nosed over and hit the ground, engine running normally all the way in.

I am thinking maybe heart attack. He was 70. All of his dozen airplanes were meticulously maintained, I can't imagine mechanical failure. He was a multi-engine, commercial rated pilot, did everything by the book, never a daredevil.

He had a really cool 1930's something Stagger-Wing I posted photos of here someplace a couple of years ago I, a twin engine Beech or something, a WW2 J2 trainer, among many others...

A Ford GT40.

Sorry you had to check out like that, Richard, with your little grandson. We will miss you, and you were a good man and a good pilot. God Bless.

Rest in peace, I can't think of a better way to go than flying an aircraft you loved.

Last edited:

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Very tragic to hear this news. A terrible thing to happen, particularly to a grandfather.

My commiserations to you, the family and friends.

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
Very sad, a proud grandfather giving his grandson a ride ends up tragically. Prayers are with the family, hope they find peace.

Doug S.

PRA # 41505
Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex / Xenon RST
Total Flight Time
Greg
Sorry to hear about your friend. Our prayers are with you and his family. It's bad enough to lose one that's had such a a full life but to lose a life that has just begun is tragic.
Peace be with you all.
Amen

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
I am so sorry to hear this. Rest in Peace. My prayers for the family.