loose vs lose

I always hate it when people..even college edumacated ones...say "Me and my wife are going to a movie.....or me and my son are going fishing.....instead of "my wife and I....or "my son and I"

The following is a true story from a break time conversation at work. I was a trim carpenter listening to the head painter. He said. " Me and Larry painted the bedroom in the apartment last night."

I couldnt resist and replied...."Larry and I painted the apartnent."

The head painter got real red faced at me and said " Hell , you weren't even their God dxxxmit"

It's almost as bad when they say "The apartment was painted by Larry and I."

I have noticed for the past fifteen years or so, the dropping of the word "a" and "the" in sentences of printed material such as magazines, news papers and including modern day religious books.

Examples:
...recline at table.
She's admitted in hospital.
At University, he's English major.
That's not a new thing. It's usual for British to say "in hospital"; Americans would say "in the hospital", even though "the" should really imply a specific hospital.
We say similar things, like "go to bed". No one says "go to the bed"?

OK, I got a new one that's been bugging me recently (yes, on this site!): people saying "assure" when they mean "ensure".

When you ensure something, you’re making sure it is going to happen:
I need to study more to ensure I get a passing grade.
He scored thirty-five points last night, ensuring that his team will have a place in the finals.

Assure is something you do to a person. People can have doubts or insecurities you can remove by assuring them, by giving them assurance:
I assure you, we will get to the play on time.
Tom locked the door, assuring Tim that their dog would not be able to wander away during the night.

Whilst it is great (not) to pick fault and prove ones superior command of the language, on most forums it is considered "poor form". The content of the posting is surely more important than being grammatically correct.

There are those who are not as well educated or have personal issues, but, by all means, mock them, it helps elevate your own status.

By such actions, consider, how many wish to contribute, but now will not because of such attacks.

we ALL LOOSE !!

El Tigre, you left out "insure" !

OK, I got a new one that's been bugging me recently (yes, on this site!): people saying "assure" when they mean "ensure".

When you ensure something, you’re making sure it is going to happen:
I need to study more to ensure I get a passing grade.
He scored thirty-five points last night, ensuring that his team will have a place in the finals.

Assure is something you do to a person. People can have doubts or insecurities you can remove by assuring them, by giving them assurance:
I assure you, we will get to the play on time.
Tom locked the door, assuring Tim that their dog would not be able to wander away during the night.
Are you asure about that?

Whilst it is great (not) to pick fault and prove ones superior command of the language, on most forums it is considered "poor form". The content of the posting is surely more important than being grammatically correct.

There are those who are not as well educated or have personal issues, but, by all means, mock them, it helps elevate your own status.

By such actions, consider, how many wish to contribute, but now will not because of such attacks.

we ALL LOOSE !!
Worse than poor form, my friend.

When they point out a person's writing who has server dyslexia.

It's picking on the handicapped the same as laughing at people in wheelchairs because they cannot walk.
We cannot read or write your preception of the written language. It is often hysterical.

A computer could never understand my writing, but humans should be able to understand even when I use entirely wrong words and humans can correct it instantly, and know the meaning. That is the biggest difference between a robot and being human.

Even a 5-year-old is superior to my writing as most could outrun a person in a wheelchair?

Albert Einstein would have had you really bothered by his writing too. He also had server dyslexia.
So glad math cannot be misunderstood. It's my first language too. Also, glad humans translated all of his wrong words to understand his solutions and theories. Aren't you glad they did not judge his work by his written words? They proved he's an idiot.

Last edited:
Albert Einstein would have had you really bothered by his writing too. He also had server dyslexia.
So glad math cannot be misunderstood. It's my first language too. Also, glad humans translated all of his wrong words to understand his solutions and theories. Aren't you glad they did not judge his work by his written words? They proved he's an idiot.
Maths, physics = right or wrong .. no grey area.

I did not know why I loved the two subjects back in the day.

Also find I have good "understanding or appreciation" for mechanics and their operation and many of my like minded biker/mechanics are similar.

Intents and porpoises?
A wail of a good time, and no fluke!

Sorry, I figured I had nothing Toulouse.

Intents and porpoises?
A wail of a good time, and no fluke!

Sorry, I figured I had nothing Toulouse.
Always looking for the silver lining in life. There is an upside to dyslexia.
I can understand the meaning of others no matter how badly it is written.

Jon the only word I stopped on was Toulouse.
The rest appears fine to me. Until I cover up each letter one at a time of each word to reveal what the rest of you perceive.

And Don I had to go back and look for in lightening.
My understanding of the meaning and the word you meant, in the context goes without me even noticing any spelling or grammar mistakes.

PS:
Jon that was quite creative. But the humor is lost for me unless you point it out or use Toulouse?
It was worth the 10 to 15 minutes to work out the actual words in both of your jokes.

Last edited:
John:

I can understand your posts, sometimes have to take a second look, but understand that your fingers are not wired 100% to your brain. No big deal. Did have to take a 3rd look at FFA though, around here that's Future Farmers of America!

Keep smiling 🥲

All-In, Toulouse is a place in France, and part of the name of a famous 19th century artist Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, but it sounds to the ear much like "to lose" , as in "nothing to lose" / "nothing Toulouse"

All-In, Toulouse is a place in France, and part of the name of a famous 19th century artist Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, but it sounds to the ear much like "to lose" , as in "nothing to lose" / "nothing Toulouse"
Didn't know it was a town.
Toulouse-Lautrec is among the best-known painters of the Post-Impressionist period, along with some other you may have heard of Vincent van Gogh, Paul Gauguin, and Paul Cezanne

Well, as long as we're playing with words, Toulouse-Lautrec makes one think of this (almost) proverb:

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder"