loose vs lose

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
500+
I have been seeing this mistake over and over on this forum, and it's making me kind of nuts! :)
In order not to embarrass anyone in particular, I'll just point out the difference here.
Lose (verb): this is when something goes missing, or, the opposite of "win". Past tense is "lost"
Loose (adjective): this is when something is not tight, or not under control.

Would it be okay to expand the scope of this post to include "impact" or especially its derivative "impactful"?
I here that word is misused allot, two.

Also seen here on the forum numerous times: Using "breaks" instead of what stops a vehicle: "brakes". And, "minuet", instead of that 60 second period of time: "minute".

Some lackadaisical spellers respond that the reader knows what they mean. Spelling is important. Try a different name on legal documents, or a check made out in another name instead of the correct one.

With all the spell check & grammar options now easily available, the user can actually learn better than when they didn't try very hard back in grade school.

Last edited:
How about then and than since we are trying to re-educate second grade drop outs. And the list could go on for days.
I am happy that I paid attention between the beatings I received during my eight years of attendance in a Catholic school.

Dare I mention that some people start a majority of their ("there"?) sentences with "I"...

You've missed the one that bugs me the most. That's when people take a few hours of "duel instruction", which as a former competitive fencer I must assume means one-on-one combat training. I have a category in my pilot logbook for "dual", but definitely not "duel". Dueling is a felony in most states.

Dare I mention that some people start a majority of their ("there"?) sentences with "I"...

Starting a sentence with a conjunction in today's society is considered acceptable in most modern grammar books and style guides.
Starting a feud on this forum is not my intention so I will not post to this thread any longer. However I will always read things from the background.
So if a thread makes anyone slow down and think, and question, the thread has done its job.

My pet peeve is There, Their and They're - some folks use there for all of them.

As a former B in men's epee the misuse of duel and dual is very hurtful.

I love this thread, good info
o.png

I hate to mispell writen words. Youd think their'd be some kind of spel check for sentance grammer. Its rediculous.
Well, all of your "errors" would indeed have been caught by spell checking. It's the use of a legitimate word that is not the one intended that's insidious. Or did I mean invidious? ;)

Inner city dictionary

them there things is not tight ... (loose bolts)
your bitch done be gone now ... (lose your girlfriend)

dual is more than one ... but less than tree
duel needs two too ... but won be dead after

she hanger britches on the clothesline at home
she hangar arms on da dance pole at night
she used to be a brake dancer

impact some grub for lunch
impacted the suitcase rite full , cant git no more init

their is some of them there people who are knowin there spellin right
most of them are pile lots
I meen that litter ally

You've missed the one that bugs me the most. That's when people take a few hours of "duel instruction", which as a former competitive fencer I must assume means one-on-one combat training. I have a category in my pilot logbook for "dual", but definitely not "duel". Dueling is a felony in most states.

Ad in the paper ...

FENCING INSTRUCTION
7 - 9 PM at the rec center
Bring your own equipment.

About 12 people showed up .... including a farmer who
brought a bundle of fence posts , a roll of barbed wire ,
staples and a fencing hammer

(True story)