Looking for your suggestions for -FREE- LIVE WEBINAR Topics!!

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
I am organizing some LIVE on-line seminars (webinars) that will be FREE but available only to PRA members.:welcome:

I would like to know if any has some suggestions for topics or speakers.

Currently we have the following in the works:

Stan Foster, Building the turbine Helicycle
Stan Foster, Building the Genesis gyroplane
Stan Foster, Learning to Fly Helicopters

Tim O'Connor, Using the radio in the pattern for Light Sport Aircraft.

Ron Menzie, Taking and Passing an FAA Checkride

Tom Milton, How to register and certify an Experimental Aircraft
Tom Milton, Wunderlick pre-rotators

I got a suggestion for Rotorblade tech, looking for a speaker now.

Any other suggestions? :wave:

Schedules for the webinars will be posted in the next few weeks in the PRA E-Zine and on the PRA web page Members Area.

Sign up for the EZine here: http://www.utahrotorcraft.org/PRAsubscriberequest.html

PRA Members Area here: http://www.pra.org/pra/Member.aspx

Last edited:

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
Hi Tim

construction practices such as where and how to bore holes and how to make brackets and combining metals ect . These have been discussed recently on the forum with interest.

Tony

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
Tim, Stu Fields of Experimental Helo magazine has done in-person seminars on blade-balancing and considerations in anodizing structural parts, both with PowerPoints, which were well attended at Rotors Over The Rockies.

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
Tim, I also have an ASTM fuel system for gyros powerpoint.
Fantastic!

Tim, Stu Fields of Experimental Helo magazine has done in-person seminars on blade-balancing and considerations in anodizing structural parts, both with PowerPoints, which were well attended at Rotors Over The Rockies.
Nice! I will get with you about that!

Sir Real

My suggestion would be to open them to non-PRA members, from a "bringing more people to the sport" angle. Or maybe a mix of "members only" and public webinars.

Seems to me that a lot of the regulatory and perception hassles would be reduced if more people had more knowlege.

enco

I would like access to recordings of the live webinars for access when time is available. This may be the plan already, I don't know.

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
My suggestion would be to open them to non-PRA members, from a "bringing more people to the sport" angle. Or maybe a mix of "members only" and public webinars.

Seems to me that a lot of the regulatory and perception hassles would be reduced if more people had more knowlege.
Kurt,

I think the whole point of developing these webinars is to add value to being a PRA member. The PRA needs to build it's membership numbers in order to have the funds to create effective programs and be able to actually make a difference to our sport. Having something valuable (like these webinars) that are only available to members gives more people a reason to join the PRA. In the recent past some people thought the only reason to join the PRA was to get a printed Magazine and when that was no longer financially feasible to provide, they didn't want to be a member any more.

What the PRA is trying to do is to show people that there are other things the PRA can provide that are desireable and worthwhile to the Sport Rotorcraft crowd, and hopefully grow the numbers back to a level that we really can make a major difference to the sport.

Gyro Doug

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
Paul,

Can you email me Stu's email address?

I am putting together the 2012 webinars and would like to include him.

Any other recommendations?

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Most Excellent?

The questions I have been asked most and thus likely subjects for Webinars:

1) Are gyroplane safe and how to select a safe and stable gyroplane? = I show Greg’s article why rotors instead of wings and explain CLT, HS, how a body affects aerodynamics, differential brakes, castering nose wheel, etc.

2) What is an Ultralight, what are its limitations, and where can I fly it?

3) What is the cheapest license I can get to fly a gyroplane, where can I fly with it, and can I use my own gyroplane for solo training and/or flight instruction if it is a two-place?

4) Is there a video of how to do a double hang test?

5) How do I balance the blades?

6) How do you do a weight and balance for a custom build?

7) How do I fill out the builders log?

8) What to avoid while flying a gyroplane (zero G, PPO) how is it different than flying a fixed wing?

9) How do you select the correct gyroplane for how and where I fly? For this I just email them a copy of my notes I copied from Rotaryforum.
#9 Would be fairly easy for me to put together pictures that go with the notes descriptions of each type of gyroplane and videos of them flying.

Last edited:

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
Most Excellent?

The questions I have been asked most and thus likely subjects for Webinars:

1) Are gyroplane safe and how to select a safe and stable gyroplane? = I show Greg’s article why rotors instead of wings and explain CLT, HS, how a body affects aerodynamics, differential brakes, castering nose wheel, etc.

2) What is an Ultralight, what are its limitations, and where can I fly it?

3) What is the cheapest license I can get to fly a gyroplane, where can I fly with it, and can I use my own gyroplane for solo training and/or flight instruction if it is a two-place?

4) Is there a video of how to do a double hang test?

5) How do I balance the blades?

6) How do you do a weight and balance for a custom build?

7) How do I fill out the builders log?

8) What to avoid while flying a gyroplane (zero G, PPO) how is it different than flying a fixed wing?

9) How do you select the correct gyroplane for how and where I fly? For this I just email them a copy of my notes I copied from Rotaryforum.
#9 Would be fairly easy for me to put together pictures that go with the notes descriptions of each type of gyroplane and videos of them flying.
Thanks John!

Number 4 is in progress thanks to Stan and the Morons.

Would you like to do any of these?

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I could probably do 2, 3, & 9 however, I'm spread so thin these days with a trial and at the same time beta testing the new web-based accounting package and the new medical patient records software products at four customers sites that there is so little time.

I think I could put 9 together fairly quickly after the trial ends in ... "two weeks"!

If one month is OK for you to wait for a final product I will start on #9.

Could you or another knowledgeable person validate/ Edit the rough draft and I'll try to get Tim chick to help me with the videos of the different choices.
He's my buddy and another rotorhead that always makes the world a little better place to live so I know he will help us.

Last edited:

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Oh and for #1 above.

After just learning in the most concise post imaginable about Negative G and Rotor Head what about Doug Riley!

What am I saying everything Doug write teaches in the same way.

Doug would be perfect for #1 and much better than anything I would be just repeating.

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
I could probably do 2, 3, & 9 however, I'm spread so thin these days ....
The webinars would be in late February, through March as a ramp-up to BDays.

Length would be 1 hour to ???

What ever length the presenter wants.

Also, the presenter can decide if there is time for a Q and A session after.

The presenter does not need more then mild computer skills, I can help with the technical aspects of the presentation.