Looking for instruction in Western Washington or close

Patrick'sB8

Hello,

I have never flown before, but always wanted to. Now, an 80% Bensen has fallen into my lap. Also, I'm looking at an already complete and flying ultralight Lightning.

Is there anywhere in Western Washington, or close, to get instruction. I will probably stick with ultralights, but am not opposed to getting my sport license.

Thanks!
Patrick

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 tail-dragger airplane, 1.5 powered parachute
Patrick: Only ones reasonably close to you are:

Idaho:
Cammie is highly recommended since she has a flight school that already had airplane & helicopter instructors before she added gyroplane instruction. Based in Boise, ID area. She will not train occasional students. You want to learn to fly, then you go from start-to-finish, all the way to your rating, the way the military does it. Best for learning, she states. I've met her @ her hangar-home on their private airstrip some 20 miles east of Boise, and came away impressed. She teaches in Autogyro of Germany's Calidus & Cavalon gyros.

Southern Oregon:
Wolf runs his Captain Drake's flying school @ the Cave Junction, OR airport. He comes highly recommended by his students. He teaches in a Magni gyroplane. If you train with him at his facility, from start-to-finish, he will allow you to stay for FREE in one of the bedrooms @ his lodge that he built himself. Otherwise, occasional training w/ him allows you to stay @ his lodge if you'd like, but you'll pay the standard B&B rate for your room. Wolf recommends a student get his fixed-wing rating first, & then add-on the gyroplane rating for economy in instruction. He is equipped to do both @ his facility, sending the student to a gyro CFI in California for the practical test.

Meals can be shared there, also, greatly reducing your food expenses to cost-sharing the meal components. He also has electrical hookups along his hangar for those preferring to utilize an RV of their own, if desired. Showers are available on the airport @ the smoke jumping facility close to his hangar.

Sport Copter, in Scappoose, OR, is not training students currently.

There are many gyroplane CFIs in the Portland & Seattle regions, but none have their own two-place gyros to train in. There used to be one in the Seattle area many years back, an RAF, that wasn't owned by the instructor. It was involved in a grass strip accident involving avoiding an airplane that attempted to land after the gyro took off. No contact w/ the airplane occured, but the rotorblades hit the ground as the pilot was trying to prevent colliding w/ the airplane's incursion.

That abrupt lack of a training machine seems to have been the reason the PRA chapter in the Seattle region has gone in-active.

Cammie, as a dealer for Autogyro of Germany, has sold some gyroplanes into the Seattle area. One of which was to a flight club. I do not know which one, other than she indicated it is not the Boeing FC.

Hotel32

Pilot
Aircraft
C182C
Total Flight Time
I'm also looking for Gyro opportunities in Western Washington. Following this thread.