Looking for Hughes 269/300 or any willing A&P

KenSandyEggo

Platinum Member
Aircraft
McCulloch J2
Total Flight Time
approx. 1400+
I probably should have done this thread earlier. My J-2 is due its annual by the end of this month. I found a 76 year old Hughes 269 mechanic willing to do it, but he's not on an airport. He has a helipad and hangar at his home. He can't travel to do it. Main problem is that to get in and out of his place, I have to take off the blades and trailer the J-2 from a friend's airstrip several miles away, a royal pain. Someone with 269/300 experience would be ideal, because the J-2 rotorhead is identical.

Does anyone know someone in the southeastern U.S. that might be willing to do an annual on a J-2? I have all the manuals if they're not that familiar with it. There's a Hughes heli A&P, IA that works for $35 an hour, but he's in Phoenix. Thanks.

Last edited:
Kenny, again the joys of unique (ok, owning just a little wierd)certificated aircraft. I need to get my gyro FAA certification hat on next month for the SportsCopter's annual. I don't even charge myself very much....I just can't help rubbing it in a little. Hope all is going well for you in Charlotte. We all miss ya out here.

Scott Heger, Laguna Niguel, Ca N86SH

Ken here is two people you can call and ask, mention my name so they know you know me. Charles Frank, 704-806-1209 Or Jeff, 704-292-4980

Another option is to see if Charlie Arant will do it. I would fly it to his place first rather than call him. I would be surprised if he would not do it. Arants is about 5 miles from Goose Creek on the way to Anson County airport. 704-283-1714

Thanks, Ron. Is that the name of Arant's airfield, "Arant's?" I don't have a map here with me.

Wouldn't know the identifier, would you? It should be in the database of my GPS.

Ken, fly due east from Goose Creek and you will fly right over it. Come out to the airport tomorrow and me and you can fly over it and I will show you how to find it. It is a grass strip and is not hard to find, it is right off the northern tip of that little lake we have flown over.

Thanks, Randy. That was nice of you.

Ron, he won't mind if I fly in without phoning first? I don't need any buck-shot holes in the belly of the J-2.

Last edited:
You want me to take it over there for ya? Yeah he won't mind, he will probably be happy to see your gyro. Just be careful the strip is on a slope. It has ARANTS painted on the roof of the manitance hangar.