Looking for an electronic governor for helicopters

Francois,

Governors prevent low RPM accidents. That's a good thing. Always a good thing.
Governors allow more attention to be spent elsewhere. That's a good thing. Always a good thing.
Governor use causes some basic skills to get rusty. That's a bad thing. Always a bad thing.

Hi Bryan,

My personal opinion is I unfortunately have to disagree with you that a governor makes basic skills get rusty. If a heli has a governor, your basic skill base is built around that. It does not erode any of it. It in fact makes it a safer machine to fly. The correlator in any case takes care of the mixing, you should not have to roll in or out any throttle in the first place. So in essence, the governor has nothing to do, other than help you when you become sloppy in flight. You are not constantly moving eyes inside, concentrating on keeping balanced needles. In my opinion, you will be in more of a position to not be distracted by having to balance the needles.

Your argument may hold true for the turbine style of governors, where throttle function is totally separate.

No argument, only my opinion.

Cheers,

Francois

Been looking at the ESD5500 HobbyCAD recommended as the basis for creating a governor system, but does anyone here have experience with installing this on their rotary wing? I'd like to hear why you chose this governor and what it took to get it's features setup and working for you. I heard that many helicycle enthusiasts use this, would like to hear their thoughts.

For the same reason the pilots of Asiana 214 (JUL 6, 2013) were slow to react to below glideslope indications, when they were accustomed to the autopilot and autothrottles correcting it.

It's more because of psychology and the mechanical way the human brain works.

ILS was out of service, they was in a visual approach...

ILS was out of service, they was in a visual approach...

It is still possible for the autopilot to be controlling the descent. The last I heard in the media reports was the hand-flying skills of the crew had gotten rusty because of the highly automated machine aircraft.

The reports said "slow to recognize and react" to being way below the desired glidepath.

Has it changed since that?

It is still possible for the autopilot to be controlling the descent. The last I heard in the media reports was the hand-flying skills of the crew had gotten rusty because of the highly automated machine aircraft.

The reports said "slow to recognize and react" to being way below the desired glidepath.

Has it changed since that?

They were using just Auto Throttle, yes, very rusty ...

Looking at GAC governors and actuators atm. Are governors a trade secret or something? It seems pretty hush hush about what everyone is using. I am assuming it is because of legal reasons.

I'm a big believer in KISS, especially for a recreational aircraft.

Given how easy manual rpm control is with a halfway decent mechanical correlator for a pilot that's had any training at all I personally wouldn't bother with a governor on a piston ship. Turbines are a different matter entirely...

If you're going to use one, the type mentioned by Francois that physically moves your throttle grip is the only way to go. Combined with a slipper clutch so you can override it easily in the event of a malfunction of course.