• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hotel32

Pilot
Aircraft
C182C / SnoBird Adventurer/ AutoGyro Cavalon
Total Flight Time
Any advice on obtaining a LODA under 8900.1?

This was the procedure that I followed in 2017, as in the attached files when I wanted to give flight instruction in my aircraft. I had obtained it from the EAA website, but it does not show up anymore. Also send them the copy of Airworthiness Certificate and Operating Limitations. It depends on the FSDO. I had to follow up with them after about four months of inaction.

Attachments

• LODA Procedure.pdf
    78.8 KB · Views: 10
  • LODA Application.pdf
    436.9 KB · Views: 4
  • LODA Covering Letter.pdf
    37.6 KB · Views: 5
This was the procedure that I followed in 2017, as in the attached files when I wanted to give flight instruction in my aircraft. I had obtained it from the EAA website, but it does not show up anymore. Also send them the copy of Airworthiness Certificate and Operating Limitations. It depends on the FSDO. I had to follow up with them after about four months of inaction.
Thank you for the information. I'm in my sixth month dealing with the Seattle FSDO.

You're welcome. It is a hassle to get this done for sure. Good luck to you.

You're welcome. It is a hassle to get this done for sure. Good luck to you.
I found it such a hassle with my FSDO I gave up. Plus the high cost of insurance also entered into decision to just not offer instruction in my gyro.

I consider myself fortunate when I got my LODA way back in the early 90's. I went in and talked to my FSDO and got acquainted with all the people in the office and struck up a great relationship with them. I had no problem getting the Airworthiness Certificate and it was a learning experience for them as well as me. When I went to get my LODA we sat and talked about it for a while, I showed them the paperwork and process that Oklahoma City had outlined and it was a breeze, took just a few weeks and I had my LODA. Of course times were different back then and I would suspect that getting one now would be more involved, but I would still do the same thing today that I did back then.

Don

Around the time Sport Pilot came along, the FAA was threatening to discontinue LODA's for training in Experimental gyros, on the theory that certified gyro trainers would soon appear. This helped me decide NOT become a gyro CFI, and instead just get out of the training biz, once the BFI program was repealed.

Has the FAA abandoned this "you're living on borrowed time" attitude?

Around the time Sport Pilot came along, the FAA was threatening to discontinue LODA's for training in Experimental gyros, on the theory that certified gyro trainers would soon appear. This helped me decide NOT become a gyro CFI, and instead just get out of the training biz, once the BFI program was repealed.

What is the BFI program?

I consider myself fortunate when I got my LODA way back in the early 90's. I went in and talked to my FSDO and got acquainted with all the people in the office and struck up a great relationship with them. I had no problem getting the Airworthiness Certificate and it was a learning experience for them as well as me. When I went to get my LODA we sat and talked about it for a while, I showed them the paperwork and process that Oklahoma City had outlined and it was a breeze, took just a few weeks and I had my LODA. Of course times were different back then and I would suspect that getting one now would be more involved, but I would still do the same thing today that I did back then.

Don
Times have changed in many ways.

No action in twenty years now. Perhaps if Primary Category aircraft get better penetration in the market, those threats might arise again, but it's quiet on that front now as they try to get MOSAIC implemented.

What is the BFI program?
Basic Flight Instructor. It was a program put together by Aero Sports Connection. And sanctioned (?) By the FAA. This was to allow training in a 2 seat Ultralight Vehicle for Ultralight Pilots to transition to their single place Ultralight Vehicle (aircraft)

There was a maximum weight limit on the 2 place used for training. I think it was something like 498 lbs. The person wanting to be a BFI had to meet a certain amount of logged hours before being signed off by an AFI (Advanced Flight Instructor).

When Sport Pilot came about it put an end to BFI's and AFI's. But the FAA gave a time for AFI's and BFI's to transition to SP/CFI.

My memory isn't the greatest. Doug feel free to correct me.

No action in twenty years now. Perhaps if Primary Category aircraft get better penetration in the market, those threats might arise again, but it's quiet on that front now as they try to get MOSAIC implemented.

LODAS are likely to stay for some time. When you in writing ask for a LODA FSDO has 90 days to respond and if they don’t you escalate it to an office in DC who may assign you another FSDO for purpose of getting the LODA.

LODAS are likely to stay for some time. When you in writing ask for a LODA FSDO has 90 days to respond and if they don’t you escalate it to an office in DC who may assign you another FSDO for purpose of getting the LODA.
Seattle sent me to DC and DC sent it back to Seattle. It’s into six months of lame excuses and empty promises.

Seattle sent me to DC and DC sent it back to Seattle. It’s into six months of lame excuses and empty promises.

Sounds like Seattle FSDO does not want to do its job. Makes sense, many of them must be working from home and we know half of those working from home are not working at any given time. After all they have been so busy and working hard to keep checks on Boeing that they don't have the time.
I would bother them again in DC and tell them its not getting anywhere with Seattle.

GyroChuck -- yes, that's right. There was no logical necessity for BFI-AFI to go away when Sport Pilot came in -- they could have co-existed.

I have a rather cynical view of what happened to AFI-BFI when Sport Pilot came along. But no point in re-hashing old gripes.

Hotel32 -- would your Congressional delegation be willing to step in to break the logjam?

GyroChuck -- yes, that's right. There was no logical necessity for BFI-AFI to go away when Sport Pilot came in -- they could have co-existed.

I have a rather cynical view of what happened to AFI-BFI when Sport Pilot came along. But no point in re-hashing old gripes.

Hotel32 -- would your Congressional delegation be willing to step in to break the logjam?

It was really 911 that really forced the issue. FAA did not have a record of all aircraft/machines and all pilots flying and that was no longer ok with the Congress and government. That is really what sped up the killing of the BFI and AFI exemptions.

Yes, 9/11 was the nail in the coffin.

But EAA had been working to constrain ultralighting well before that. Their pet issue was pilots of Paul Poberezny's generation no longer passing their physicals. EAA proposed the resurrection of the mid-century pilot standards for the operation of "primary" aircraft (Cubs and such) without a medical. This morphed into Sport Pilot.

It was most unfortunate, in my view, that the BFI and AFI system became roadkill in the process. The two systems (Sport and AFI-BFI) COULD have co-existed -- again, IMHO.

Any notion that ultralight piloting skills would somehow contribute to an ability to steer a jet transport into a terror target is goofy.

Any notion that ultralight piloting skills would somehow contribute to an ability to steer a jet transport into a terror target is goofy.
Dare I say the most recent attack involved ultralights.... still so true the AFI/BFI being roadkill in the road to sport pilot.

I think it is worth revisiting the whole ultralight training thing . EAA is in small but encouraging ways talking about ultralights again. The FAA also has granted ASC a rolling exception for a two seater, used for training, to be treated as an ultralight as long as it meets all other requirements of part 103. This is not just for flex wings and PPG as clarified by Jim (ASC) to me by email. For some reason this has not percolated through the community. Now it may be hard (impossible perhaps) for a gyro to take benefit of this but fixed/flex/PPG can definitely make use of this.