Living off the grid

lanichol

Aircraft
RAF 2000 AAI Modified, Var Pitch IVO, hydraulic pre-rotator, mechanical FI
Total Flight Time
18 hrs gryo & training
I travel in the field and often work in very remote areas. Sometime harsh, sometime very beautiful. This was one of those great locations woody acres with a pond only a 100 yards from the rig. I had 5 visitors to the rig at various times, all related, 3 bachelor brothers (60 yrs+), and two of their nephews. All of them exciting, interest in learning, and not a care in the world. Never wanting to interrupt or impose.

The first visitors were two of the brothers that live together. They asked a few question about the rig & drilling, but then about the rocks, carbon dating, and then zircons. Strange who knows about zircons? They had a backhoe business & rock crusher blending used road concrete, asphalt cuttings, limestone, & clay for road beds. Great idea. Talked a little about their 3rd brother that lived in the woody tree area with no electricity, but he did have solar. Told the rough necks they could fish in the pond.

A little Japanese pickup (no tags) shows up that evening. The nephew was a pilot, tell me more about the two brothers. They had a wind generator, and a wind compressor. The wind compressor kept a railroad tanker car at 90 lbs or greater pressure to run shop tools and a generator. They also have used WVO in their backhoe for 5 years (what?). A few years prior they had burned down the shop when a barrel flashed while mixing and burnt the oldest brother face. (How does WVO explode?) Refused to go to the hospital with 2nd degree burns, but lived.

Woody Acres, the 3rd brother shows up in the morning. Asking similar questions, then questions the accuracy of carbon dating and zircons. He asks me to stop by his place. That evening nephew 2 shows up asking the similar questions. I explained about the oceans covering this area 270 times over the million of years. He stared. I added, or it could be the earth is only 4,000 years old. He smiled.

Two in the morning, I smell fish frying, explains why I had not seen the rough necks during the night. Pond was full of bass, crappie, and catfish.

Next morning I drove over to Woody Acres place. At first all I saw was some junk and a pole shed hidden back in the trees. On the roof was some solar panels. I had to change my thinking. A stainless steel milk tank for water, an old tub washer with wringer, smoke rising, insulated pipes - radiant heat, a large garden surrounded by fruit trees, some type of outside fire place.

The open pole barn was post and beam with a concrete poured basement and a flat tin roof. In the far corner was a room. The house was to be a walk out basement, but unfinished. Woody Acres walked out. His solar panels were charging a large case of fork lift batteries. Several batteries had shorted and he was now down to 24 volts dc. Woody told me you would be surprise what is designed for AC will run on DC.

The outside fire place (needed repair) was for boiling down molasses squeezed from cane used as sugar. Him and his brothers use to make 300 gallons a year. There was also a small flour mill (DC motor). The bath house water was from radiant heat.

I was fascinated at the creativity and resourcefulness. In the days that followed I learned more about the brothers, always willing to give or share, not asking for anything in return.

In a way I felt foolish, It was the way pioneers lived 130 years ago with a few modern additions.

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
Fascinating subject!
Having tested this kind of living many times, it appeasl a lot to me!
A good bow and arrow, knife, a few more equipment and off we go in to the wilderness!
But I live in the Garden of Eden . . .
Been planing a house off the grid, just have it there for added safety . . .good options available.
thanks
Heron

Rehan K.Janjua

Gold Member
Aircraft
AirCommand 582
Total Flight Time
1200hrs
Living on the farm house for the last 7 years and its off grid.

All power is solar and wind.

Have LED lighting DC 12 volt fans and 1 hp solar water pump.

Its a relief from frequent power break downs, recent load shedding and
300% rate hike.

Thanks to democracy.

Rehan

Last edited:

Lee Scatt

Crash-test pilot
Aircraft
Bensen/BMW R-1100 (under construction)
Total Flight Time
500+

Have LED lighting DC 12 volt fans and 1 hp solar water pump.

Its a relief from frequent power break downs, recent load shedding and
300% rate hike.

Thanks to democracy.

Rehan
So we aren't the only country with a bunch of ignorant voters.
We are right behind you, don't feel alone.

lanichol

Aircraft
RAF 2000 AAI Modified, Var Pitch IVO, hydraulic pre-rotator, mechanical FI
Total Flight Time
18 hrs gryo & training
Rehan, Could you expand on your methods of storage.

Heron, What did you have in mind? I think it is a fascinating topic.

Master Roda

The Jedi
Do you guys remember my "gravity tank" idea? It's a clean and safe method of storing solar and wind energy...etc. Better than flywheel technology. Cheap too.

.....I really need to build that desktop model to show you guys....

For me though, power is cheap out of the outlet. I havent had a blackout (EVER). But I would like to have a standby system someday. My long term plans involve living away from civilization so this is in my interest.

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
Larry
The idea is a semi urban house, water, sewer, power all in house, but connected for safety.
Land still very affordable here, lots on the othere hand are getting ridiculously high priced.
WE have place, pretty much downtown, where we gather daily for happy hour. It is a small rural property, 8 blocks from City Hall. WE have done lots of expericences there, planting vegetables and fruits.
Now there is a small lake been made, we are going to raise tilapia, already been producet for commercial purposes in another property few miles away.
This way, our sashimi will be fresh . . .we almost eat them alive . .
Lowering the food costs is fun and healthy . . .
Heron