Littlewing LW-4 or 5?

Alan_Cheatham

James, like you i dont care for the "GEEBEE" look of the LW5 tandem two place as there is no definition for the vertical fin, that is why i made mine a single place with a very defined transition from the turtle deck to the vertical fin, that and i was not going to solo from the back seat!

It would be interesting if you would do some tuft testing to see what airflow you have aft of your cockpit, given the sharp break and slope in the turtle deck I would suspect separated flow.

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
Cook11

The Russians pretty well got it nailed with that "Teddi Bear" Design. The only thing I would like to see added would be a stub center section with the main gear on it and the fuel tanks inside it

Tony

PS I think 2 place side by side will require twin rudders for sure

mercert

Aircraft
Little Wing single place
Alan,

you seem hung up on the "Flow Seperation" thing you have been commenting on for a few years now. The angle of my sweep on my turtle deck differs only slightly from Ron Herron's LW3 and since these are slow flying very draggy aircraft i am not the least bit concerned in the difference, neither is Ron as he saw my design long ago and no issues with it.

So when are we going to see YOUR LW? or since Matt sold the one you were working on with him have you remained a dreamer rather than a "do-er" and find it necessary to "critique" everyone elses work!
Just saying!

Tim

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
Cook11

A good example of what I am talking about with the "twin rudders" can be seen on the third "you tube" video where a landing is taking place, watch the rudders at about the 15 second mark, he is really fanning them, there maybe a crosswind, I don't know. The rudders are tied together and work in unison, giving lots of slow speed control.

Tony

bopflyer

Aircraft
have ppl helicopter, ratings in fixed and flexi wing microlights. Learning to fly gyro's.
I think I remember Ron Herron saying that he was building a side by side seat littlewing for a customer. That was a few years ago now. Havn't head any more since.